Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 ALTO BLUE XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Hey guys - long time lurker, first time poster here, big fan of the forum! Question for those that have done a "dirty side" PCV catch can install (front side of the block).

I installed a catch can a month ago using factory replacement quick connects and it was pretty straightforward. Opened up the can today to check how much it was "catching", less than an oz over ~500 miles. When I was checking hose connects to the PCV plate/block for leaks, I noticed that the male ends coming out of the block were swiveling/moving side-to-side quite a bit - is this normal or are they supposed to be fixed?

Wanted to gut check against what you all have seen!

-M
Sponsored

JohnnyApplespeed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Maverick Lariat EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Check out this video:

Jump to 5:20 and again at 6:15, the guy mentions the PVC fitting rotates, while the intake manifold fitting does not. So I think some are designed to have some freedom to move. Hope that helps give you some clarity.

JohnnyApplespeed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Maverick Lariat EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
@Mul'sMav - What kit did you install? I'm torn over whether to make a DIY kit or buy one with all parts included. I'm also undecided whether to put one on both clean and dirty sides or just the dirty side. I know next to nothing about this stuff, so it's a nearly arbitrary choice to me.

Montana

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
What kit? Mine doesn't do this.

Did you hear the audible click when inserting the clips back in place? Did you fasten the hoses all the way to the end on the clips?

I also used Loctite and a spacer on the mount because the included J&L bolt was bottoming out and allowing too much play.

@Mul'sMav - What kit did you install? I'm torn over whether to make a DIY kit or buy one with all parts included. I'm also undecided whether to put one on both clean and dirty sides or just the dirty side. I know next to nothing about this stuff, so it's a nearly arbitrary choice to me.
I mention this in my current build log (See signature) on the first page. TBH, if you get a reliable can itself, all you need it the hoses and a mounting location. Some of those cheaper catch cans do not have a filter on the side that intakes once it's dumped into the catch can. So avoid those.

Last edited:

JohnnyApplespeed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Maverick Lariat EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I mention this in my current build log (See signature) on the first page. TBH, if you get a reliable can itself, all you need it the hoses and a mounting location. Some of those cheaper catch cans do not have a filter on the side that intakes once it's dumped into the catch can. So avoid those.
Here's the one I'm considering for a DIY build: https://a.co/d/co5KJJA

It shows an internal filter in the pics.

Sponsored

jewc75

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Z06 12 Mustang 22 Maverick 93 Lightning 19 GTI
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The fittings should swivel. If your catch cans dont have multiple diffusers they are pointless imo and ive tested a lot of them on my mustang. Id add some fine stainless mesh at the very minimum.

JohnnyApplespeed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Maverick Lariat EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
DO IT! Post your walkthrough on here!
I ordered some Amazon parts per these instructions: https://cubanredneck.com/ford-maverick-oil-catch-can/

The 6AN kit referenced there is no longer av available, so I ordered this one: https://a.co/d/6X5oEg0

Hopefully that works as planned.

The only part I'm unsure of at this point is the transfer of connector fittings from OEM hoses to my new catch-can assembly hoses. The dirty side OEM fittings seem easy enough to transfer, but the clean side are said to be basically throw-away and often break during removal rather than pop off cleanly. So I'm not sure what to plan for on that part of the process. If you have any suggestions, I'm all ears.

JohnnyApplespeed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Maverick Lariat EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
@CubanRedneck - Can you offer any guidance on my question above? Appreciate the write-up, sir!

@Mul'sMav - Sorry about the thread hijack here. Hopefully your original question was adequately answered.

Montana

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I ordered some Amazon parts per these instructions: https://cubanredneck.com/ford-maverick-oil-catch-can/

The 6AN kit referenced there is no longer av available, so I ordered this one: https://a.co/d/6X5oEg0

Hopefully that works as planned.

The only part I'm unsure of at this point is the transfer of connector fittings from OEM hoses to my new catch-can assembly hoses. The dirty side OEM fittings seem easy enough to transfer, but the clean side are said to be basically throw-away and often break during removal rather than pop off cleanly. So I'm not sure what to plan for on that part of the process. If you have any suggestions, I'm all ears.
You really don't need a dual setup. Just install the dirty side and be done with it. Use white lithium because it's safer for internals than using high temp grease.

The rest looks good. I'm sure there will be some trial and error. If you look at my build where the catch can is located, and if your Maverick came with an engine cover, you can just use that bolt to fasten the can to.

Also, don't use zip ties on a pressurized hose. Buy cable clamps. THe setup I have doesn't have anything because the fittings are so tight, but I'm going to add some anyways. I mean, talk about an arm workout... that was grueling getting those fittings in there.

You may end up needing to go to that far side somehow if you don't have a bracket to mount to that engine cover bolt, but I have seen somewhere where someone mounted on the right side too. Really it'll just be trial and error.

Great job and good luck! Keep us posted!

Sponsored

CubanRedneck

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
OP
OP
Mul'sMav

Mul'sMav

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 ALTO BLUE XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Hey @JohnnyApplespeed and @Montana - thanks for all the input, super sorry for the delay. A packed 4th weekend here, Nascar comes to Chicago and I just couldn't turn it down.

So to answer the original question - it sounds like the fitting do swivel a bit (thank goodness, or else I had a problem to deal with). Thanks @jewc75 and Johnny.

As to the kit, I did the home brew variety.

Bought this catch can on Amazon: Amazon.com: mrhello 750ml Baffled Oil Catch Can Reservoir Tank Universal Breather Filter with Drain Valve 2 Port Aluminum : Automotive- and added a ball of steel wool to the bottom to condense the liquids.

Bought a replacement stock Ford PCV to Intake hose from an online dealer (so I could keep the stock one if I ever wanted to go back) - cut the quick connects off and used some heater hose and hose clamps to tie the whole system together. No leaks so far! A caveat...the can I bought was way too tall so I had to bend the horns down a bit so I could mount it inside the driver's side fender.

Now I get to tackle the new water puddle I found by the rear seat this weekend...

@JohnnyApplespeed - good luck with the install, keep us posted with progress pics on how your install goes!

OP
OP
Mul'sMav

Mul'sMav

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 ALTO BLUE XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

@Montana - also, just flipped through your build, looks beautiful. Nice job.

Montana

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hey @JohnnyApplespeed and @Montana - thanks for all the input, super sorry for the delay. A packed 4th weekend here, Nascar comes to Chicago and I just couldn't turn it down.

So to answer the original question - it sounds like the fitting do swivel a bit (thank goodness, or else I had a problem to deal with). Thanks @jewc75 and Johnny.

As to the kit, I did the home brew variety.

Bought this catch can on Amazon: Amazon.com: mrhello 750ml Baffled Oil Catch Can Reservoir Tank Universal Breather Filter with Drain Valve 2 Port Aluminum : Automotive- and added a ball of steel wool to the bottom to condense the liquids.

Bought a replacement stock Ford PCV to Intake hose from an online dealer (so I could keep the stock one if I ever wanted to go back) - cut the quick connects off and used some heater hose and hose clamps to tie the whole system together. No leaks so far! A caveat...the can I bought was way too tall so I had to bend the horns down a bit so I could mount it inside the driver's side fender.

Now I get to tackle the new water puddle I found by the rear seat this weekend...

@JohnnyApplespeed - good luck with the install, keep us posted with progress pics on how your install goes!
Nascar. Streets of Chicago. In the wet. What a race that was.

I saw those kits with the steel wool in them while I was browsing too. This is my first catch can on any vehicle and next time, the route you took is the route I'm going as well. I also got the stock hose just in case but ended up not needing it. I guess a reserve is good so I don't have to try messing with those fittings if I ever sell the truck - but this is the first vehicle in 4 that I am in love with and will be keeping as long as it' wheels are still tracken! ;)

Sorry about your puddle... that sucks. It's been dry here and only had a couple washes, but I have not noticed anything and I looked both time everywhere that issue was being reported by others.

Hey, one project down and onto the other I guess... How it always works for us DIYers.

The odd thing for me is I've taken about 4 x 20/30 mile round trips so far and still see nothing in the can. I was expecting to see at least a drop or something just so I know I didn't screw up lol. I'll keep an eye on it.

OP
OP
Mul'sMav

Mul'sMav

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 ALTO BLUE XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Was definitely an impressive race - nothing like big v8s roaring through downtown.

But couldn't agree more though, one project down, and another springs back up, the joy of tinkering. Fingers crossed I can find a dealer to take care of it.

Glad to hear everything is above board on yours though. I put ~500 miles on the can and had a tiny tiny bit, maybe a teaspoon, mostly gas vapors (I think). No news is good news in that department though.
Sponsored