Sponsored

Catalytic Converter Location on Maverick?

lapercussion

First Name
Gregory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element
I'm wondering if anyone knows the location of the catalytic converter on the Maverick. I recently sold my Honda Element because I had 4 catalytic converters stolen off it and I didn't want to spend $400.00 to protect my newly installed cat because I wouldn't have been able to recoup that money when I sold it last week. If the converter is at the bottom of the Maverick unprotected, then there has to be a way to cover it with some sort of plate setup that won't void the warranty.
Sponsored

JsnMrd

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Plus I heard hybrids' catalytic are the most sought after because they remain pristine throughout time

TerryE

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm wondering if anyone knows the location of the catalytic converter on the Maverick. I recently sold my Honda Element because I had 4 catalytic converters stolen off it and I didn't want to spend $400.00 to protect my newly installed cat because I wouldn't have been able to recoup that money when I sold it last week. If the converter is at the bottom of the Maverick unprotected, then there has to be a way to cover it with some sort of plate setup that won't void the warranty.
S0 sad we have to worry about assholes to destroy our new cars.

Wrench77

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cadillac ATS, Ford Maverick pre ordered
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It’s tucked close to the engine right up against the firewall under the hood. It’s part of the exhaust manifold on the hybrid. They would have a lot of trouble getting that one out. This is a picture of the Hybrid Escape 2.5l which should be almost the same.
Ford Maverick Catalytic Converter Location on Maverick? 1302DA90-8D01-497A-9126-72939E462C61

OP
OP
lapercussion

lapercussion

First Name
Gregory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element
That's very good to know. The fact that Toyota and Honda (prius, tacoma, element, accord etc.) hang their Catyltics under their vehicles is such stupid BS! I talked to a manager at a Toyota dealership a few years ago and he told me the thieves stole the converters off the tacomas on the lot! I was able to catch the guys who caught my CA compliant converter with a surveillance system and they had to slowly provide restitution for my converter so that sort of paid for the one that I had put on the element so I could register and sell it.

Sponsored

SgtLip

Banned
Banned
First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lexus ES300h Ultra Luxury
I've never heard of such a thing. They are stealing converters why? I have a Lexus Hybrid. Do I need to be concerned in Florida about it getting stolen? It's a garage queen so that may help some. But the Maverick will be parked under the carport.

FirstOnRaceDay

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
I've never heard of such a thing. They are stealing converters why? I have a Lexus Hybrid. Do I need to be concerned in Florida about it getting stolen? It's a garage queen so that may help some. But the Maverick will be parked under the carport.
Because you can take the rare metals out and scrap them for $200. Most places here in Ohio stopped taking them unless your a certified tech.

the turbo model cat is low hanging fruit

SgtLip

Banned
Banned
First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lexus ES300h Ultra Luxury
Because you can take the rare metals out and scrap them for $200. Most places here in Ohio stopped taking them unless your a certified tech.

Thanks for the info.

FirstOnRaceDay

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
Thanks for the info.
Also I retract my statement. The ecoboost cat is RIGHT after the turbo. It 90s off the back of the turbo then cat. So it’s up there far enough they won’t be able to cut that side.
So either motor your good

SuckLemons

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Toyota Tacoma 🌮
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Hybrid ones are even more sought after, as someone in this post mentioned.

Same in TN now. They just passed a law on July 1st restricting the sale/purchase of them, thankfully. Hopefully other states follow that example and it works.

Sponsored

06Warrior

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Person
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' HD Road Glide, 22’ Sporster S
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Junkies cut them off to sell and buy meth or whatever drug of choice.

OP
OP
lapercussion

lapercussion

First Name
Gregory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element
It's a design problem I won't buy a car whose catalytic converter is exposed because you have to add protection to avert having it stolen and because adding protection will probably ruin your warranty. The people who steal these things are not crack heads they are professional thieves who work in groups of nearly 100 people with the ring leader storing them and then transporting them to an illegal smelter. It's a design flaw that few manufacturers acknowledge. I should know... I busted two guys stealing a cat off my Honda Element with video and they turned in their leader who had an AR-15 on his dining room table.

ColoradoShooter

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma/Fusion
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
^^^ So, have you formally complained to Honda and its mechanical engineers for placing the catalytic converters in a location which enables criminals to easily remove them? Because I thought cats were strategically placed to reduce exhaust emissions? Is Budweiser responsible for a drunk driver?

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It's a design problem I won't buy a car whose catalytic converter is exposed because you have to add protection to avert having it stolen and because adding protection will probably ruin your warranty. The people who steal these things are not crack heads they are professional thieves who work in groups of nearly 100 people with the ring leader storing them and then transporting them to an illegal smelter. It's a design flaw that few manufacturers acknowledge. I should know... I busted two guys stealing a cat off my Honda Element with video and they turned in their leader who had an AR-15 on his dining room table.
You're both right, as from what I've read its an industry in and of itself with organized crime and not a crime of opportunity, but they simply make it well known that they are the buyers in the area willing to exchange quick cash and/or drugs to the meth heads actually carrying out the thefts. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out how to identify what a catalytic converter is and press a button on a battery powered circular saw to cut the pipes on each end in under three minutes, and that way the actual higher up criminals in the crime ring aren't directly exposed to being nabbed in the act.

The main reason for the explosion is simply that, like lumber, rare metal prices in the cats have skyrocketed like many other commodities during COVID, married with a decrease in police activity following a change in public sentiment against police in many areas causing defunding/demoralizing of police departments so enforcement has plummeted, creating a good business model for organized crime.

Because its organized, measures put in to limit sale of catalytic converters to recyclers are ineffective, since the meth heads aren't directly selling the stolen property themselves and instead its organized crime mixing into the legit high volume businesses under the table.
Plus I heard hybrids' catalytic are the most sought after because they remain pristine throughout time
Yeah, I've heard that the Prius in particular is the most targeted. Ford does put an aero/splash shield under the Maverick from what I've heard (at least they do on the Escape), so that would be one more thing for the thief to have to remove, but it probably won't even add a minute or two to the theft if its flimsy and easily ripped off.

If you're in a high crime area, getting a more robust shield would probably be enough of a deterrent, as it just has to be confusing enough to get the meth head to give up and find an easier vehicle to target, and because its using stock mounting bolts shouldn't cause any warranty issues.
Sponsored