First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Car and Driver's test isn't a bad one, per se... Their headline, however, is click-bait at best and at worst it is slander. This is why Car and Driver isn't a particularly trusted resource for me.
I don't think the tone was meant to be harsh, they are just saying they aren't surprised because their test is higher speed than the EPA test and hybrids tend not to do anything exceptional in pure high speed cruising. The battery can only recharge from regenerative braking if there is braking after all, and a 1.5kwh battery isn't going to hold that much juice for highway cruising.

After all, lets not forget that the Ford Maverick was given their editors choice award and a high 9/10 score. They have no problem telling us when they hate a vehicle, like the 3.5/10 score they give the Ford Ecosport by contrast.
Sponsored

Bikeric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SOLD XLT Hybrid Mav
I don't think the tone was meant to be harsh, they are just saying they aren't surprised because their test is higher speed than the EPA test and hybrids tend not to do anything exceptional in pure high speed cruising. The battery can only recharge from regenerative braking if there is braking after all, and a 1.5kwh battery isn't going to hold that much juice for highway cruising.

After all, lets not forget that the Ford Maverick was given their editors choice award and a high 9/10 score. They have no problem telling us when they hate a vehicle, like the 3.5/10 score they give the Ford Ecosport by contrast.
They are full of sh**. Yes, the tone was meant to be harsh just judging by the Title of the story. As a Hybrid Maverick owner I CAN say they are full of B.S. You say “higher speed”, I say 75mph efficiency is WAY above 30mpg’s. I’m not clicking the link, just asking “how did they measure mileage”. Computer o actual miles to fill up at the exact same pump before and after?

BankableWhee

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I drive my Hybrid 650-1000 miles a week, with about 80% of my driving on the highway, and I have been averaging around 40 mpg according to the fuel economy tracker in the truck. I think that Car and Driver's test is a great example of how geographic location, elevation, temperature, and the driver's driving style can have a significant effect on an individual's fuel economy. I am happy that I am getting better fuel economy in my truck now than I got in my Honda Civic!

casanewt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 KIA Sportage X-Line Prestige PHEV
Engine
Undecided
Through 3,500 miles I've found that it is just no where close to the stated MPG. Important to note Honda's hybrid system is WILDLY different than Ford or Toyota's. While it is buttery smooth and has plenty of torque under 40 - it falls WAY short of advertised MPGs.

Supposed to get 40mpg in the city. I've never registered (hand calc'd, same pump, shut off and stop) over 36mpg and I avoid freeways, hard acceleration, and use just the seat steering wheel warmers doing my very best. I haven't separated city and highway (i think that'd be nearly impossible) but I would estimate that I am averaging about 33 mpg in the city.

Sustained highway speeds are a known problem for Honda. EPA derives their figures with bursts of speed and acceleration runs over a 45 mile course where a hybrid can recoup some of the losses from sustained speeds.

Bottom line, the 2.0AC is woefully underpowered for the CRV, and you say BUT HYBRID ELECTRIC TORQUE! Natch.

The way the Honda system works is a large roughly 110hp electric motor that is directly mated to a 32hp generator motor directly mated to the 2.0AC. What this basically means is you're running on only the large electric motor, both electric motors, OR just ICE and the 2.0AC. There is a clutch pack that will disengage the electric motors and directly connect the 2.0AC with a fixed overdrive gear - this can occur as early as 43mph but likely happens closer to 70 on the highway.

So then you've got a woefully underpowered gasoline engine stuck in overdrive on the freeway.

I knew MPG wouldn't be as advertised on the highway, I figured if I got 29-30mpg it would be good.

I haven't looked after the most recent trip. but through 3,500 miles I think I am around 29mpg combined. which is so far from the advertised 37mpg combined it isn't even funny.

Ford's hybrid uses a planetary gearset that can truly take advantage of both power sources, mixing and matching power for best fuel economy and/or acceleration.

I know I have chimed in on your CRV comments before, but I wanted to add some other data. Our other vehicle is a 2019 Honda Insight. Same hybrid system as the CRV, but with the smaller 1.5 ICE motor. We just did a a trip to Asheville in it and ran 95% interstate at 74-79 MPH sustained through the mountains. Our average for two full tanks was right around 40 MPG. That is also with 3 passengers and a ton of luggage. Obviously the Insight is smaller, lighter, and more aerodynamic as well, but I was pretty impressed with those numbers. Your CRV numbers are mind-boggling low for sure.

710-oil-614

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I know I have chimed in on your CRV comments before, but I wanted to add some other data. Our other vehicle is a 2019 Honda Insight. Same hybrid system as the CRV, but with the smaller 1.5 ICE motor. We just did a a trip to Asheville in it and ran 95% interstate at 74-79 MPH sustained through the mountains. Our average for two full tanks was right around 40 MPG. That is also with 3 passengers and a ton of luggage. Obviously the Insight is smaller, lighter, and more aerodynamic as well, but I was pretty impressed with those numbers. Your CRV numbers are mind-boggling low for sure.
Weight and aero are huge issue for the 2.0AC for the CRV. Which I have noticed I can go full EV 50-55 mph for miles stretches but if even a small cross wind or head wind hits the CRV it immediately goes to ICE.

The CRV was the last hybrid honda put out and they just pulled the accord hybrid drivetrain and plopped it into the CRV without thought, and it shows.

Sponsored

casanewt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 KIA Sportage X-Line Prestige PHEV
Engine
Undecided
Weight and aero are huge issue for the 2.0AC for the CRV. Which I have noticed I can go full EV 50-55 mph for miles stretches but if even a small cross wind or head wind hits the CRV it immediately goes to ICE.

The CRV was the last hybrid honda put out and they just pulled the accord hybrid drivetrain and plopped it into the CRV without thought, and it shows.
C&D came up with similar results after 40,000 miles. Surprising for sure. https://www.caranddriver.com/review...a-crv-hybrid-touring-reliability-maintenance/

710-oil-614

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
C&D came up with similar results after 40,000 miles. Surprising for sure. https://www.caranddriver.com/review...a-crv-hybrid-touring-reliability-maintenance/

I had never seen that wrap up before and this comment just speaks to me,

Of the CR-V's worse-than-expected fuel economy, former staffer Eric Tingwall wrote, "I suspect that the aero and weight of the CR-V combined with Michigan highway speeds push Honda's strange direct-drive hybrid powertrain beyond its most efficient operating range. Like, maybe this was all designed around the Accord and Insight, or Japanese driving speeds, or both, and it just doesn't work as intended in this application at these speeds?" He would know—he bought one and has 10,000 miles on it so far.

rightmuch

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I see articles like this and all I have to say is:

It's. A. Truck.
Yup. And the Honda Ridgeline I sold for mine doesn’t come close to the Mav In price, value, feature, you name it. it’s the best vehicle I’ve ever owned.

TRQ427

First Name
TIM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2500 HD-97 CHEROKEE-69 427 BISCAYNE-MAYBE 2023 XL
I drive my Hybrid 650-1000 miles a week, with about 80% of my driving on the highway, and I have been averaging around 40 mpg according to the fuel economy tracker in the truck. I think that Car and Driver's test is a great example of how geographic location, elevation, temperature, and the driver's driving style can have a significant effect on an individual's fuel economy. I am happy that I am getting better fuel economy in my truck now than I got in my Honda Civic!
Thats impressive. My self, I travel Iowa,, 95% highway 70 to 75 MPH, traditionally very windy, and curious about real world MPG when near all miles are highway. This month, 5069 miles, fairly normal monthly miles for me. So many of theses articles almost suggest the eco boost for highway driving, but 30 mpg wouldn't justify a purchase in my opinion. I drive a Dodge Ram C/V mini van that gets 25 to 26 MPG,(summer fuel, 19 to 20 winter) 3.6 V-6. My second van like this, same results from the 2013 I had. I've been a factory rep 35 years, Iowa, and Oklahoma, 60 to 80K per year. So many business acquaintances I know run Prius. and all really like the machine, claiming 45 to 50 on the interstates, constantly. Ugly as hell, but I hear alot about the aerodynamic design seems to make it real slippery. Hoping a hybrid Maverick will return the mileage figures you have reported here, thanks for posting.

tonyinsd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT, Ford Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yup. And the Honda Ridgeline I sold for mine doesn’t come close to the Mav In price, value, feature, you name it. it’s the best vehicle I’ve ever owned.
I actually looked at the Ridgeline but I'm more than happy to keep the more than $15K difference in price in my pocket. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice vehicle and it's got a lot more creature comforts than the base Maverick.

But I don't care about those because I'll be driving my Maverick three times a week to get supplies for my shop. The round trip distance each trip will be less than 20 miles.

Sponsored

vap0rtranz

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mav Hybrid XLT, '17 Chevy Colo Z71 diesel
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
:grabs popcorn: 🍿

Ahhh, the ol MPG debate again 😄

Why stop at unrealistic driving behavior? Pulse & glide -- yea yea, lots of hypermiling techniques out there.

On the flip side, there's been folks saying that driving _faster_ means better MPGs, and so they drive faster! Sounds like C&D tested that here. Maybe someone will dredge up physics formulas and drag coefficients and rolling resistance again to make this show more impressive 😁

Show me 1 years worth of MPG data, or go home.

But nobody has a full year's worth of Hybrid Mav data yet.

Mikknj

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mikk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT Luxury CO360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a39539233/ford-maverick-hybrid-fuel-economy-tested/

I've done mostly highway drives over the 800 miles I've put on. Seeing consistently 38-40 mpgs. City driving has been outstanding. Even if they missed the EPA estimate by a few miles, still seems like they're pretty disappointed. Guess Ford didn't throw them the $ they wanted for a more positive headline.

It's obvious what happened. The EPA tested a slower highway speeds. You can't drive 75 MPH and get 42 MPG The wind resistance begins to climb exponentially. They didn't repeat the EPA testing they tried to push the limits and of course they can't reach the mileage posted at 65 MPH speeds. Slow it down and re do the test. Then rewrite the article to include the fuel efficiency graphed against speed and set a proper expectation that if you are going to be driving normal highway speeds of 70+ Mph then you should get the Gas engine because the hybrid is not designed for those speeds.

Mikknj

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mikk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT Luxury CO360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Exactly! But it's probably good for all folks to see the review to know that Hybrid does not help much at all at highway speeds - you can't change the laws of physics!

mikellmikell

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mikell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Colorado's
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Owned my hybrid a week today. Getting 42-47 mpg back and forth to work. 1 Highway trip just to see and it got 35 mpg over 60 miles. Happy so far. 1000 Mile trip in a couple of weeks about half highway and other rural.