Cannabilizing Ranger sales, or not?

staryoshi

First Name
SJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Chevrolet Colorado
I have similar thoughts on the ranger, but my main hold ups on the current gen are cabin space and lack of backseat utility in the crew cab. I'll probably hold out for the redesign, as I don't mind the risk of new model years. I need the extra off-road/towing capability, but I don't want a road yacht. Still tempted by the Mav though :)
Sponsored

Fish Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius LE, Ford F150
Yeah, the older years were not good. The new model that came out last year is much better because of the CVT they are using, and it's even a more powerful engine.

Also remember this it's a box on wheels, the poor gas mileage is because it's not aerodynamic.
But check this out, the new model has 62 cubic feet of storage inside, with head room and leg room in the rear that even some full size SUV's can't touch.

It's a modern day station wagon. It's not even classified as a SUV, it's classified as a wagon.
I'll be honest, I really like the new one. But when I stated digging into it and saw how they were saving money on the cost it turned me off.
Hers is a 2016. She actually likes the small styling changes on the new ones better.... I'm not going to tell her about the improved mileage though. Don't want to confuse her even more :) lol She likes the Maverick more anyway, and I've convinced her about Hybrids with my Prius :)

Fish Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius LE, Ford F150
I have similar thoughts on the ranger, but my main hold ups on the current gen are cabin space and lack of backseat utility in the crew cab. I'll probably hold out for the redesign, as I don't mind the risk of new model years. I need the extra off-road/towing capability, but I don't want a road yacht. Still tempted by the Mav though :)
If it really does get the C shaped headlights, and Ford tough front end, it will be a sweet truck.... But I still cant do any vehicle that's not at least a Hybrid. Those new 2022 F150 Lightnings (all electric) are Sick !!! I start dreaming every time I see one !

staryoshi

First Name
SJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Chevrolet Colorado
If it really does get the C shaped headlights, and Ford tough front end, it will be a sweet truck.... But I still cant do any vehicle that's not at least a Hybrid. Those new 2022 F150 Lightnings (all electric) are Sick !!! I start dreaming every time I see one !
I live in the woods in one of the reddest parts of my state... I'll never see a charging station anywhere nearby to justify going electric, but they're pretty darn cool.
I'm pretty much locked into waiting for the 2023 Ranger reveal before I go Mav or Ranger.

BlueXL_73

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Corolla
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Am I the only one thinking that instead of Ford bringing a 10 year old pickup back from overseas in 2019, this should have been the "New Ranger" With the hybrid engine there could be a single cab. It could probably even be body on frame. Then again there must be some reason that was impossible.

Sponsored

pxpaulx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Am I the only one thinking that instead of Ford bringing a 10 year old pickup back from overseas in 2019, this should have been the "New Ranger" With the hybrid engine there could be a single cab. It could probably even be body on frame. Then again there must be some reason that was impossible.
Not really - they needed to be back in the mid-size market. The tacoma absolutely dominates that market, but in 2020 Ford sold over 100K Rangers - second only to the Tacoma after being back in the market just a year (GM only bested Ford by 20K IF you count both of their mid-size offerings together). The Ranger is still competitive, and I'm sure the 2023 model will be a popular option if they take as much care in the updates as they have with both the Maverick and Bronco development (delivery/hard top issues with Bronco aside).

ttthhasdf

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Right now there isnt a hybrid ranger so I didn't consider it. If it turns out that a phev ranger is available before a phev mav I might consider that down the road. For now, the mav cannibalized my f150 lightening reservation.

buckaroo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Fit
Am I the only one thinking that instead of Ford bringing a 10 year old pickup back from overseas in 2019, this should have been the "New Ranger"

I was actually hoping the Maverick would be the size of the VW Rabbit runabout I drove back in the early 1980's. That was a real true runabout and man did that thing run, like a rabbit. :)

Give it time, if the Maverick takes off I'm sure Ford will turn into a bemouth. The Maverick as it is is bigger than my 1989 Ranger was except in cargo area. Take away the two doors it would even be bigger then that as well.

Ronaldo

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71 bronco, 67 conv Mustang, 93 RX7 R1
Much has been written and discussed about why Ford didn't offer a smaller cab with 6' bed option. I was firmly in that camp. There's obviously some cost and tooling expense issues involved. The more I get into this trucklette and what Ford obviously is targeting with multiple demographics to capture the most potential buyers- I have come to a conclusion; I really wanted and would prefer no Crew cab and longer bed like a REAL truck, but IMO there's enough good stuff about this vehicle that I can get by without my preferred configuration. But that crew cab and short bed is the differentiator here for Ford I think- making it more like a "real" truck would satisfy a smaller buying group like me but likely drive away a huge amount of potential new non-truck customers and probably cannibalize Ranger sales at the same time just when Ford is ready to launch a new Generation Ranger.

In short, it seems they made a strategic decision for the Maverick to be a "Jack of all Trades and Master of None" to cast the widest net for potential buyers. For hard core truck guys, work trucks, fleets, etc. there's the Ranger to consider against all the other mid size competitors without hurting Maverick uptake much, if at all.
I wasn't planning on buying a Ranger, the Maverick's mileage is what got my attention. BUT if the next Ranger came out with mileage fairly close and towed 7,000 lbs well that when I switch to Ranger and pay a little more.

ccmjr77

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XLT Hybrid, 22 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
no more % than Ranger sales impacts F150 sales

Sponsored

Eagle11

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 Boxster S, 2018 BMW M5, Ducati's, Suzuki's
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Right now there isnt a hybrid ranger so I didn't consider it. If it turns out that a phev ranger is available before a phev mav I might consider that down the road. For now, the mav cannibalized my f150 lightening reservation.
This will change, since Ford has committed to going Elec, I'm betting the ranger will get a HyBrid in 2023, and a PHEV in 2026. The Maverick will get a PHEV in the mid-life cycle.

Jasperw229

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick 22, Lariat fx4, 4k tow
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I seem to be the outlier here, but I was holding out for the new Ranger. As a mid-30's homeowner with two children, we really need a truck. We currently own an Odyssey which can fit a metric-f-ton with the third row seats folded down but we are also banging up the interior. I'm also into the outdoors and a slammed Honda Fit isn't very practical for gravel roads or even primitive boat launches. I scrape getting out of my driveway 😬

I actually really like the exterior of the current Ford Ranger but the interior + infotainment with the inset screen really turned me off. Also, car seats are surprisingly tight in the rear.

I ended up pulling the trigger on the Maverick due to:
  • AWD + Ecoboost + Unibody should make spirited driving a bit more fun in the twisties.
  • More interior room than the Ranger which is huge when you have two car seats.
  • I *rarely* tow anything and the Odyssey can tow up to 3,500 pounds. I opted for the 4K tow package so if I do tow something, I won't have to strain the Odyssey :)
  • Functionality vs Price. This was the biggest reason picking the Maverick over the Ranger. I ended up getting a fully optioned AWD Ecoboost Lariat at Chapman for sub $35K. A similar equipped Ranger would roughly be $10K more.
  • In my use case, payload is more important than towing - landscape stones, plywood, sheetrock, mulch, etc. I believe I saw the payload capacity for the AWD Ecoboost is just over 1400lbs which is within a stone's throw of midsize trucks.
The Maverick fulfills all my needs at a much cheaper price. The Ranger would've far exceeded my needs at a much more expensive price. I would've settled for the Ranger because there were no other options at the time prior to the Maverick 🤷‍♂️

w8zea6fbumv01.jpg
I wouldn't bet on the 1400lb payload. The fully loaded Lariat yellow stickers I've seen are closer to 1270lbs. That's what I'm getting too btw.
Still not a bad number for such a small pickup.

Fish Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius LE, Ford F150
I live in the woods in one of the reddest parts of my state... I'll never see a charging station anywhere nearby to justify going electric, but they're pretty darn cool.
I'm pretty much locked into waiting for the 2023 Ranger reveal before I go Mav or Ranger.
Why do you need a charging station ? Charge it at home overnight before you leave the house ! You can buy the 240 volt quick charger, and what difference if it takes 8 hrs to fully charge it, if your in bed asleep anyway 🙂

Vols44

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Edge
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Don't forget, the step in height is probably a very nice thing for "older" folks.

I don't think you need to make advertisements targeted towards older folks, though. I bet if you did, the urban truck buyer may be turned off.
I think you nailed it with the urban, back facing car seat, home improvement store shopping, bike racking, sub 2000lb hauling demographic who wants to pay less than 30k.

Add in the lure of a 40mpg hybrid option, crew cab and safety features like co pilot 360 and you have stand alone niche vehicle with a lot of upside.
Sponsored