Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Much has been written and discussed about why Ford didn't offer a smaller cab with 6' bed option. I was firmly in that camp. There's obviously some cost and tooling expense issues involved. The more I get into this trucklette and what Ford obviously is targeting with multiple demographics to capture the most potential buyers- I have come to a conclusion; I really wanted and would prefer no Crew cab and longer bed like a REAL truck, but IMO there's enough good stuff about this vehicle that I can get by without my preferred configuration. But that crew cab and short bed is the differentiator here for Ford I think- making it more like a "real" truck would satisfy a smaller buying group like me but likely drive away a huge amount of potential new non-truck customers and probably cannibalize Ranger sales at the same time just when Ford is ready to launch a new Generation Ranger.

In short, it seems they made a strategic decision for the Maverick to be a "Jack of all Trades and Master of None" to cast the widest net for potential buyers. For hard core truck guys, work trucks, fleets, etc. there's the Ranger to consider against all the other mid size competitors without hurting Maverick uptake much, if at all.
Sponsored

Eagle11

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 Boxster S, 2018 BMW M5, Ducati's, Suzuki's
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Much has been written and discussed about why Ford didn't offer a smaller cab with 6' bed option. I was firmly in that camp. There's obviously some cost and tooling expense issues involved. The more I get into this trucklette and what Ford obviously is targeting with multiple demographics to capture the most potential buyers- I have come to a conclusion; I really wanted and would prefer no Crew cab and longer bed like a REAL truck, but IMO there's enough good stuff about this vehicle that I can get by without my preferred configuration. But that crew cab and short bed is the differentiator here for Ford I think- making it more like a "real" truck would satisfy a smaller buying group like me but likely drive away a huge amount of potential new non-truck customers and probably cannibalize Ranger sales at the same time just when Ford is ready to launch a new Generation Ranger.

In short, it seems they made a strategic decision for the Maverick to be a "Jack of all Trades and Master of None" to cast the widest net for potential buyers. For hard core truck guys, work trucks, fleets, etc. there's the Ranger to consider against all the other mid size competitors without hurting Maverick uptake much, if at all.
Look at all the advertisements/Photos that Ford has for the Maverick, it's an Urban truck, young people hauling light loads, granted there are some photos of the Maverick hauling a small travel trailer. This truck was designed for younger people, 30 and under. I don't think Ford was worried that the Maverick would bite into the Ranger sales at all. The ranger has its own problem, it's expensive, it's outdated in the looks and people don't like it.

Now Ford wouldn't be the first manufacture to target a specific age group and gain another, Honda did that with the Element.

I think many "older" people see the versatility of a truck but don't need a full-size truck, and the price point of the Maverick is what is drawing most of in.

Naranjita

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
NAH-RON-EE-TAH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
As for myself, it didn't cannabalize me, as there is next to no chance of me buying the current Ranger. It's kinda fugly and dated looking. The moment I started seeing Maverick spy photos, I was very interested. And when the price point was announced, I was hooked

However, it might have cannabalize me from the 2023 Ranger. I'm kinda digging what I already see there. But it would take seeing the dash layout/design before I know for sure. Although I do a lot of urban driving/parking. Maverick probably better fits the bill for me. But the fact that I am thinking about the new Ranger probably validates the thought that Maverick will cannabalize some Ranger sales. But if it does, it will probably underline the point they need to update the Ranger lineup!

pxpaulx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Look at all the advertisements/Photos that Ford has for the Maverick, it's an Urban truck, young people hauling light loads, granted there are some photos of the Maverick hauling a small travel trailer. This truck was designed for younger people, 30 and under. I don't think Ford was worried that the Maverick would bite into the Ranger sales at all. The ranger has its own problem, it's expensive, it's outdated in the looks and people don't like it.

Now Ford wouldn't be the first manufacture to target a specific age group and gain another, Honda did that with the Element.

I think many "older" people see the versatility of a truck but don't need a full-size truck, and the price point of the Maverick is what is drawing most of in.
I am mostly in agreement - I have a 2019 Ranger which at the time we purchased to pull a larger (27') travel trailer. We ended up selling that late last summer, so no more need for the Ranger. If we didn't have the trailer, and the Maverick existed I simply wouldn't have looked at the Ranger to begin with. Ultimately a truck is going to sell based on need, however the Maverick is different - it is selling first based on cost and efficiency, which doesn't target it against other trucks, but against any number of vehicles - cars, SUVs, etc.

I would counter your Ranger comment - yes it is outdated (brought in from overseas market), but it hasn't always been as expensive as it is now (which you can say about literally any vehicle). To the comment about people not liking it, it was the #2 mid-size truck (unless you lump the canyon and colorado sales together, which then only beat 2020 sales by 20%) next to the Tacoma, which is just on another level against all other mid-size trucks.

So the Ranger did have a tough initial uptake in 2019, but 2020 saw a significant sales increase, and the only thing that is hampering sales this year are the widely impacting production issues.

James St. Patrick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 FORD MAVERICK Velocity Blue Ecoboost AWD
The cost of the Ranger XLT ($40K) is why I am purchasing a Maverick XLT. I can do more with a Ranger 4x4, but I am not convinced it is a $40K truck. Nothing against the Maverick AWD, but the price and timing are right for my current needs, so Maverick is where I landed.

Last edited:

Sponsored

FriscoTXJoe

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I think you are 100% spot on. I am in that "older" crowd with a spare 96 Ranger in my drive to haul stuff. That will be sold as soon as production begins on my car. But the commercials sure seem to indicate single girls will be buying these by the droves....... ;)

Once they get production rolling the area I think you will see tons of Mavericks is government municipalities replacing F150's and midsize trucks with this. Massive mileage improvement , room for 4 and a bed. XL with steelies and AC for about $25K and sell enough to cover costs while they make some money on the Lariat I buy.

Lastly, if the Maverick goes the way of the Element, Ford F'd up royal. But it won't . This is going to be a game changer. Watch for the other manufacturers to bring something to market in less than 2 years to challenge it. This is the Mustang/Explorer new vehicle for Ford.

Last edited:

Fish Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius LE, Ford F150
The first time I saw the new Rangers, I was like ... Eewww.... I thought it was a very clean, older truck that came in as a trade in... Then I saw like 3 more on the other side of the lot.... and I was like, wait... It looks retro, but not retro enough to look cool. What happened to the tough C shaped headlights ? And the tough, square front end ?
I've kind of gotten over my initial hate of the Rangers, and I've seen a few that were really fixed up, that look pretty decent. But still, I'd never buy one. They just don't look Ford Tough to me.
I was actually pretty surprised to see the new "smaller" Maverick, which IMPO, actually looks tougher than the Ranger ? Huh ?

Ron Neal

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold Ranger
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I think the new Ranger update will be more like the F150 and Mavericks front end. Rumor has it will come out with a Regular cab too. Towing is much better with the Ranger and some just need a little bigger truck than the Maverick but smaller than a F150 so I think there is plenty of room for the small, medium, large truck theme.

pxpaulx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I think you are 100% spot on. I am in that "older" crowd with a spare 96 Ranger in my drive to haul stuff. That will be sold as soon as production begins on my car. But the commercials sure seem to indicate single girls will be buying these by the droves....... ;)

Once they get production rolling the area I think you will see tons of Mavericks is government municipalities replacing F150's and midsize trucks with this. Massive mileage improvement , room for 4 and a bed. XL with steelies and AC for about $25K and sell enough to cover costs while they make some money on the Lariat I buy.

Lastly, if the Maverick goes the way of the Element, Ford F'd up royal. But it won't . This is going to be a game changer. Watch for the other manufacturers to bring something to market in less than 2 years to challenge it. This is the Mustang/Explorer new vehicle for Ford.
I've owned and loved the element (I tend to go through vehicles, but have been better recently...the Maverick 2.0 ticks all the boxes I can think of so I expect to keep it for a good long time).

Honda ruined the element all on their own. I do think it had a limited market, and those buyers eventually dried up - but I think they also would have bought another element if Honda didn't change the look so drastically to the point it just looked like an ugly SUV. The panels, the styling were what made it an Element -by the 2010 model it had lost all of that. And that was the point where original buyers probably would have looked for a replacement - the sales just couldn't justify continuing the line at that point though so I can't blame them for getting rid of it.

The Maverick has the same or better utility, significantly better efficiency (even the 2.0 bests the element by 15-20% - my best Element tanks topped 23mpg - heck my 2019 Ranger can beat that), and is at a pricepoint where first time buyers can get into it without breaking the bank or having a payment that is half the price of a mortgage.

buckaroo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Fit
I listen to a Ford rep the other day who was on the design team. This is what he said, which surprised me, he said our focus customer are those with limited means. Totally blew me away.

The key word in all of this is 'utility'. Where else can you get a vehicle with this capability that gives you a hybrid engine so you can use it as a daily driver.
They are not worried about Ranger sales as they will be releasing a refresh perhaps next year as it is currently out being tested.

Those who need hauling ability with a larger payload number but want a smaller truck are buying the Ranger and even in it's segment of midsize they beat everyone else in gas mileage.

Sponsored

Shadow.Black

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Van

I agree. I found this video to be helpful. You make clear trade offs when deciding (I think it is pretty clearly all by design on Ford's end). I think the trade off is hauling vs towing.

Last edited:

mamboman777

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Focus, 2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Don't forget, the step in height is probably a very nice thing for "older" folks.

I don't think you need to make advertisements targeted towards older folks, though. I bet if you did, the urban truck buyer may be turned off.

asel3121

First Name
Asel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro
Engine
Undecided
The cost of the Ranger XLT ($40K) is why I am purchasing a Maverick XLT. I can do more with a Ranger 4x4, but I am not convinced it is a $40K truck. Nothing against the Maverick AWD, but the price and timing are right for my current needs, so Maverick is where I landed.
Truck pricing (and size and fuel economy, or lack thereof) in 2021 is just absolutely preposterous. My patience is waning but I just see no good alternatives. Tacoma and Ridgeline are hideous, F-150 and Ranger are stupid expensive and too big, only one I really like is the Colorado but the Lariat I ordered is much cheaper and double the MPG.

CoryDallas8123

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A4, Chevy Chevelle SS, 2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The first time I saw the new Rangers, I was like ... Eewww.... I thought it was a very clean, older truck that came in as a trade in... Then I saw like 3 more on the other side of the lot.... and I was like, wait... It looks retro, but not retro enough to look cool. What happened to the tough C shaped headlights ? And the tough, square front end ?
I've kind of gotten over my initial hate of the Rangers, and I've seen a few that were really fixed up, that look pretty decent. But still, I'd never buy one. They just don't look Ford Tough to me.
I was actually pretty surprised to see the new "smaller" Maverick, which IMPO, actually looks tougher than the Ranger ? Huh ?
I agree 100% with your statements on the look of the Ranger and Mav.

From the few spy photos Iā€™ve seen it does look like Ford is bringing the ā€œCā€ headlight design and boxed front end to the 2023 Ranger.

If so, Ford will have a true lineup of trucks that will have the same Built Ford Tough theme. And Iā€™m sure theyā€™ll all be priced roughly $10,000 apart too.
  1. Mav - $22,000
  2. Ranger - $32,000
  3. F-150 - $42,000

JKinPA

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Mountaineer
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

This!!!!
My XLT with all of the packages plus sunroof, rear slider, and full size spare is 32,995 MSRP.
Chapman 4% dealer invoice, tax, tags, and everything out the door price is $33,100.
There is nothing out there that touches this, nothing. AWD, FX4, towing , lux, 360, all of it. Nothing even close, the Ranger would be close to 45k with everything.
The Maverick is a deal in todayā€™s market, not perfect, but the versatility and available options, very solid.
I wasnā€™t looking to buy a vehicle, but damn for 33k I am getting value in my opinion.
It is not a Ranger but I am not shelling the $$$$ for a Ranger or really anything else thatā€™s out there.
Just my thoughts but I think my logic isnā€™t too far off of reality. I am thrilled mine is scheduled to built the week of Oct 4th and canā€™t wait to get it.
Sponsored