First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My tundra would allow you to put the shifter into “R” while driving so that you could activate the back up camera to keep an eye on the trailer. Anyone know if this works for the maverick?

EDIT: For whatever reason I decided to test it today. It does work and has a message that says it will shift when it gets to a lower speed
Sponsored

Last edited:

ReddWulf

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick FX4, Harley Road King Classic
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So what happens if you stop and forget it is still in reverse??? :unsure:

Jtuc

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat Lux
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Don’t know to be honest
I can't say with 100% confidence what the reverse camera will do; however, if you shift the rotary dial into reverse at driving speeds, the vehicle will coast down in neutral until a safe speed is met (I think <3mph), then drop into reverse - this saves the powertrain from shredding gears (most newer vehicles do this). You can abort this by shifting back to drive.

OP
OP
MaverickAngler

MaverickAngler

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I can't say with 100% confidence what the reverse camera will do; however, if you shift the rotary dial into reverse at driving speeds, the vehicle will coast down in neutral until a safe speed is met (I think <3mph), then drop into reverse - this saves the powertrain from shredding gears (most newer vehicles do this). You can abort this by shifting back to drive.
Maybe someone in a test drive can figure out for us 🤣🤣

Sponsored

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I believe the hybrid would have to stop the ice as there is a one-way centrifugal clutch to disengage ice from gears while moving backwards.

WannaMav

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Could be mistaken about this but am fairly sure I read someplace that you can access the rear camera view at any time via the touchscreen

mav_nav

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My tundra would allow you to put the shifter into “R” while driving so that you could activate the back up camera to keep an eye on the trailer. Anyone know if this works for the maverick?
Wow! Instead of having a button for the camera feed, you have to put it in reverse? Then you are not in drive when driving? What happens in stop and go traffic? So many questions. I will google it, that's dumb or I am not smart enough to understand why they did it :D

Your subject line alone leaves room for a lot of interpretation, haha. Something like "Can you access the backup camera while driving at speed?" is more sensible I think

Last edited:

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I believe the hybrid would have to stop the ice as there is a one-way centrifugal clutch to disengage ice from gears while moving backwards.
You are right that the ICE doesn't propel the truck when reversing.

But I don't think there is a one-way centrifugal clutch that disengages. There is a torque limiting clutch pack that allows slippage between the ICE and the transmission, but it is engaged all the time.

Instead, I think motor-generator one (MG1) just rotates however fast it needs to in order to allow the ICE to rotate in one direction (or stay still) while the ring gear on the planetary gearset (slowly) rotates the other way. (Because MG2 is turning the final drive gear and ring gear backwards to power the reverse.)

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

But I don't think there is a one-way centrifugal clutch that disengages. There is a torque limiting clutch pack that allows slippage between the ICE and the transmission, but it is engaged all the time.

Instead, I think motor-generator one (MG1) just rotates however fast it needs to in order to allow the ICE to rotate in one direction (or stay still) while the ring gear on the planetary gearset (slowly) rotates the other way. (Because MG2 is turning the final drive gear and ring gear backwards to power the reverse.)
Jon at Weber state mentioned a centrifugal clutch that was slung out of engagement when rpm of crank shaft exceeded a certain rpm. I am assuming the purpose of which was to prevent cranking the ice in the wrong direction when vehicle is not under power and being pushed manually or by RV or whatever. While mg2 is being used to reverse the vehicle the one way on ice should not be needed unless maybe as secondary backup insurance. When I get chance to review John's video's will see if I can get freeze frame.

Sponsored

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Jon at Weber state mentioned a centrifugal clutch that was slung out of engagement when rpm of crank shaft exceeded a certain rpm. I am assuming the purpose of which was to prevent cranking the ice in the wrong direction when vehicle is not under power and being pushed manually or by RV or whatever. While mg2 is being used to reverse the vehicle the one way on ice should not be needed unless maybe as secondary backup insurance. When I get chance to review John's video's will see if I can get freeze frame.
Thanks. I would appreciate it if you can find and post that video.

I've watched most of his videos and never heard him mention a centrifugal clutch, just a torque limiting clutch.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

I've watched most of his videos and never heard him mention a centrifugal clutch, just a torque limiting clutch.
Will do. Also I remember that mg1 armature is splined to the final drive gear and turns in unison with the axle (must be how they keep up with axle speed, etc) and rotates the other direction in reverse. Two of three phase wires are switched. Reversing sine wave (that's how I visualize reversing polarity in ac current?? or whatever it's. Really called).

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Also I remember that mg1 armature is splined to the final drive gear and turns in unison with the axle (must be how they keep up with axle speed, etc.) and rotates the other direction in reverse.
I think we are watching different videos. Weber has more than one.

The MG1 armature is splined to the sun gear, not the final drive gear. It can be turning in either direction (or stopped altogether) when the car is moving forward.

When the car is in reverse (and ICE is stopped) MG1 rotates with the sun gear to allow the planet carrier (attached to ICE) to remain motionless when the ring gear spins.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think we are watching different videos. Weber has more than one.

The MG1 armature is splined to the sun gear, not the final drive gear. It can be turning in either direction (or stopped altogether) when the car is moving forward.

When the car is in reverse (and ICE is stopped) MG1 rotates with the sun gear to allow the planet carrier (attached to ICE) to remain motionless when the ring gear spins.
Ahhh, I misinterpreted that, I was having difficulty in how mg1 could possibly hold anything. Thanks

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Will do. Also I remember that mg1 armature is splined to the final drive gear and turns in unison with the axle (must be how they keep up with axle speed, etc) and rotates the other direction in reverse. Two of three phase wires are switched. Reversing sine wave (that's how I visualize reversing polarity in ac current?? or whatever it's. Really called).

This is not the specific video where he showed the "Sprague" one way clutch on 2.5 ice but he mentions the necessity of having one when mg1 can be used to help drive... I will look further for the video but (if I copied link correctly) view this from 9:30-11:00
Sponsored