Sponsored

Can my dealer charge me the increased price?

samysnes

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hi all,

First of all, let me point out that I am in Canada. As I understand, our ordering process is very different than in the US.
The order:
Hybrid XLT
Alto Blue
Luxury Package

Important to note: I did not place the order in my name and didn't sign any paper. My dealer placed an order for me in exchange for a 300$ CAD deposit. This was all done over the phone because of COVID restrictions.

The order was placed in early september 2021 and I just got a build date of april 18th along with my VIN.

Browsing the canadian website I noticed a price increase of 850$ CAD for my trim (28 800 vs 29 650).

My question is: Can my dealership screw me over and charge me any price they want when they get the truck since the order is theirs and not mine? Is there still some form of price protection even though I haven't signed anything?

My dealer did tell me that if I were to cancel the order, they would get hit with penalties so I'm not sure how tied to me this order really is. I figured that if I were to cancel the order, they could just park it in the lot and sell it to someone else.

Thank you all for your time
Sponsored

06Warrior

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Person
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' HD Road Glide, 22’ Sporster S
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Not sure in Canada but the US the original person who ordered has to be the person it is delivered to for price protection to be valid.

Rusty Nutts

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Ram 2500, 2017 Indian Roadmaster, 2019 Ural
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I just picked mine up last Saturday. After a 9 month wait, I knew there was no haggle room. With so many asking over retail I knew there is no way I could pick one up for less. I was just glad to get it at the increased price, less my $750 recent college grad. (at 51 :ROFLMAO:) . I was told if I didn't want it I could walk. There was no money down and nothing signed so it would have been nothing for them to make more from someone else. The whole deal was done online and over the phone. If they tried to go over MSRP I would have walked, but with gas prices the way they have gone I will break even within weeks.
Matter of fact, I was told by the salesman if I want to make some money I could turn around and sell it for more.

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
All that matters is the price your dealer has put in writing that they are willing to sell you the vehicle for, preferably in the form of a signed purchase order (not binding on your end, but on their end for the price). Do you have the price in writing?

Otherwise, you don't have an agreed upon price so they can try to charge anything they want (within Canadian laws).

OP
OP

samysnes

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
All that matters is the price your dealer has put in writing that they are willing to sell you the vehicle for, preferably in the form of a signed purchase order (not binding on your end, but on their end for the price). Do you have the price in writing?
Salesman never gave me any build sheet or price sheet or anything. I guess I could ask for a copy of it but I figured since I got my VIN, I could ask for the order number and get my window sticker which would show the price right? Not sure if that service is available for canadian orders though.

Sponsored

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Salesman never gave me any build sheet or price sheet or anything. I guess I could ask for a copy of it but I figured since I got my VIN, I could ask for the order number and get my window sticker which would show the price right? Not sure if that service is available for canadian orders though.
Put your VIN in this URL (where the xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx is) and give it a try. Order number not needed.

https://www.windowsticker.forddirect.com/windowsticker.pdf?vin=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

In the US people who ordered before the MSRP increase get the lower original price.

My window sticker was printed before the price increase and showed the original price, even though I picked up my truck after the increase.

I think later windows stickers show the higher price. But the dealer is supposed to adjust the price back to the original at the time of purchase. Ford absorbs that cost. (At least in the US.)

OP
OP

samysnes

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Put your VIN in this URL (where the xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx is) and give it a try. Order number not needed.

https://www.windowsticker.forddirect.com/windowsticker.pdf?vin=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

In the US people who ordered before the MSRP increase get the lower original price.

My window sticker was printed before the price increase and showed the original price, even though I picked up my truck after the increase.

I think later windows stickers show the higher price. But the dealer is supposed to adjust the price back to the original at the time of purchase. Ford absorbs that cost. (At least in the US.)

Yeah I tried that URL already but I get nothing for now. I guess it's too early. I'll try everyday though! Thanks for your insight.

Maverick2023

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Rav4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Dealers don't have to honor nothing. Ford can't control this. The only threat from you or everyone else is you won't buy from them in the future. Until you pay for the vehicle and sign the purchase order nothing is absolute.

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Then you'll want to get the dealer to put the price in writing, not just a printout that shows MSRP but a document indicating that they will sell you the vehicle on order for that price. (Or whatever other price you agree to.). Otherwise, you don't have an agreement on price and when the vehicle comes in, they could quote you anything they want to.

OP
OP

samysnes

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Then you'll want to get the dealer to put the price in writing, not just a printout that shows MSRP but a document indicating that they will sell you the vehicle on order for that price. (Or whatever other price you agree to.). Otherwise, you don't have an agreement on price and when the vehicle comes in, they could quote you anything they want to.
If the order was placed BY the dealership FOR the dealership, I guess they would just tell me that they don't have to do any of that and that if I don't want it, they'll sell it to someone else. I guess I could still try though.

Sponsored

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If the order was placed BY the dealership FOR the dealership, I guess they would just tell me that they don't have to do any of that and that if I don't want it, they'll sell it to someone else. I guess I could still try though.
They don't have to do anything until you work with them to agree on a price. That's what I'm suggesting you do now. Unless you want to wait until it arrives and have to negotiate then.

Hanto

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Forte GT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The price protection notice from Ford states it's for US orders only. Tim Bartz pointed that out in a more recent live stream and noted that Canadians are essentially SoL.

OP
OP

samysnes

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My dealer in Alberta, Canada said they will honour the price on mine as I noticed an increase in the window sticker on mine.
Good to know there are still decent dealerships out there. I must say the whole dealership experience is one of the worst. It's such a minefield.

OP
OP

samysnes

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The price protection notice from Ford states it's for US orders only. Tim Bartz pointed that out in a more recent live stream and noted that Canadians are essentially SoL.
I was wondering that. Thank you for your answer!

05FordGT

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Fusion Energi(lease), 2006 Mustang GT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I can shed some light on this topic as I was a Ford salesperson for 23 years (I started in 1997 at the age of 20, to 2020) before I left due to Crohn's disease. For an order to be price protected, it must be a retail order, with a customer name on it and the same person has to purchase the car (name on the DORA matches the bill of sale & buyer's order).

The customer doesn't need to to anything, as the dealer is the one to file it. As of when I left, they have 10 days to file a price protection claim (that could have changed since I left). But the price originally ordered should be the price on the buyer's order despite the price increase. Back then, it was rare that pricing changed but now it happens frequently. Hope this helps
Sponsored