Sponsored
Status
Not open for further replies.

Atisko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan rogue
There is absolutely no way a catch can is going to hydro lock an engine, zero, nada, impossible.
There is absolutely no way a catch can is going to hydro lock an engine, zero, nada, impossible.
I think you have to ask yourself one question with this device—If it’s purely beneficial why wouldn’t the manufacture not install one? There has to be a reason?
haha I expected that !!:) . Just tell me where is the fluid going to flow when the can is full and the turbo keeps building pressure. It’s certainly not going backward. So tell me.. what’s my agenda telling you about a real issue. I know all about hydro locked motors but let’s put that aside and ask what sort of problems will that fluid cause even just getting into the intake plenum or freezing in the catch can or lines. That can of milk has only one place to flow and it didn’t need to be all that much getting into the cylinders to cause a problem. But hey it’s our choice to buy or not. I’ve thrown my money away once on one and for the reasons I mentioned won’t be buying another one. I didn’t wanna go there to scare off your customers but I guess the underlying takeaway now that so much been said is that anyone thinking about installing one should to do a little research before buying one. It’s a known fact that cold weather can be an issue and if your not aware of that potential then I’m a little suspect.
Sponsored

Brostang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 R.I.P.
I think you have to ask yourself one question with this device—If it’s purely beneficial why wouldn’t the manufacture not install one? There has to be a reason?
R&D cost
Tooling cost
Material cost
Assembly cost/time
Base MSRP increase
Dumb owners that would never empty them

OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
haha I expected that !!:) . Just tell me where is the fluid going to flow when the can is full and the turbo keeps building pressure. It’s certainly not going backward. So tell me.. what’s my agenda telling you about a real issue. I know all about hydro locked motors but let’s put that aside and ask what sort of problems will that fluid cause even just getting into the intake plenum or freezing in the catch can or lines. That can of milk has only one place to flow and it didn’t need to be all that much getting into the cylinders to cause a problem. But hey it’s our choice to buy or not. I’ve thrown my money away once on one and for the reasons I mentioned won’t be buying another one. I didn’t wanna go there to scare off your customers but I guess the underlying takeaway now that so much been said is that anyone thinking about installing one should to do a little research before buying one. It’s a known fact that cold weather can be an issue and if your not aware of that potential then I’m a little suspect.
First YOU would need to understand how the catch can works and I don't think you do.

The inlet/outlet are high on the can, very top. The can is located in the engine bay, so it will warm as you drive and this will allow you to dump it as needed as it will be thawed.

However, to get your absolutely 100% WRONG information out of the way, I'll explain why you can't hydrolock an engine.

The inlet/out are at the top first of all, so even if you fail to ever dump it the worst case is you will just be sucking the same vapors/oil/water right back into the intake like the truck did from day one. IF the can freezes and is full, same deal, inlet/outlet are at the top, you are just recirculating the same things it did from the factory.

You thinking the turbo building pressure is going to forced what's in the can out of it proves you have absolutely ZERO clue on how it all works.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
That's a great pic, shows exactly why you want a catch can. Also shows that it's impossible to hydrolock an engine. Thanks for posting it.

Firecap18

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RDX,
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
That's actually 90 percent winter condensation otherwise It would be 1-3 oz of oil. As I said before If I lived in a warmer climate id run a catch can because its otherwise pretty harmless and could delay having to get the valves cleaned over the long term. To me that picture shows the potential of nothing good coming from running a catch can in COLD weather when you consider all the problems that could develop that were unnecessary to include a frozen can or tubing. BTW I still stand by every comment I've made. I'm sure if you buy a good quality can with the correct baffles it unlikely to happen but from what I've seen the majority of catch cans people put on their cars are cheap junk without much in the way of safety engineering. Honestly, Good luck selling these... there are always people that can be convinced they need something whether its true or not.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
That's actually 90 percent winter condensation otherwise It would be 1-3 oz of oil. As I said before If I lived in a warmer climate id run a catch can because its otherwise pretty harmless and could delay having to get the valves cleaned over the long term. To me that picture shows the potential of nothing good coming from running a catch can in COLD weather when you consider all the problems that could develop that were unnecessary to include a frozen can or tubing. BTW I still stand by every comment I've made. I'm sure if you buy a good quality can with the correct baffles it unlikely to happen but from what I've seen the majority of catch cans people put on their cars are cheap junk without much in the way of safety engineering. Honestly, Good luck selling these... there are always people that can be convinced they need something whether its true or not.
I don't need luck, I've got 32 years of doing this under my belt, we are selling them, literally, faster than we can build them.

There are also always people who think they know what they are talking about that should stick to their specialty (whatever that is) and stay out of conversation they don't know jack about.

AndrewSKY117

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 Honda Civic
This has been an interesting read, thank you for this information. I'm sold. Just waiting to be sold a Maverick :LOL:

Didn't really want another thing to maintenance, but I'd like to drive this truck for a long long time so it sounds like I need to get this as well. I'm in WA and supposedly I can get my truck in February, should I allow a few weeks to a month to ensure delivery around that time? No worries on waiting, just sorta curious if we assume it was in stock :)

LC48

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT, AWD, Carbonized Gray. Highlander Lim
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Buschur can weigh in on his build times and any possible delays. You can look also @ Mountune or UPR for cans / options. Lots of options available to you, and maintaining will be fairly easy on all of em

Sponsored
OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This has been an interesting read, thank you for this information. I'm sold. Just waiting to be sold a Maverick :LOL:

Didn't really want another thing to maintenance, but I'd like to drive this truck for a long long time so it sounds like I need to get this as well. I'm in WA and supposedly I can get my truck in February, should I allow a few weeks to a month to ensure delivery around that time? No worries on waiting, just sorta curious if we assume it was in stock :)
It's been interesting for sure! lol

We have catch cans in stock as well as intakes. We just got caught off guard on how quickly they would sell. Now I think we have a better handle on it and have work staying in process so we don't run out.

jc888888888

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat eco boost, Mustang Mach E , Porsche Boxster
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You are correct on everything!

Yes, I prefer a vented can on a turbo engine. We developed a catch can system for the GTR's years ago, that has no been copied like most things we do, that's another story. DSport Magazine actually did a big write up and dyno test to verify the facts we put out. The GTR was mine we did the dyno testing on here and at the time was making around 900 whp if I remember right, the whp gains were substantial by eliminating the crank case pressure. I can go back and find the articles and testing if anyone wanted solid numbers but I remember the gains being in the 40 whp range. The pressure in the crank case keeps the piston from traveling back down the bore, imagine the crank case having boost pressure in it, which it actually does, by venting that out the piston travels easier on the down stroke increasing power.
So will you be coming out with a vented version for the eco boost?

AndrewSKY117

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 Honda Civic
It's been interesting for sure! lol

We have catch cans in stock as well as intakes. We just got caught off guard on how quickly they would sell. Now I think we have a better handle on it and have work staying in process so we don't run out.

Awesome! It's always good to hear of success, and that makes me more confident in trying this out. Gonna love doing little things to this truck. Thank you for letting me know!

OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So will you be coming out with a vented version for the eco boost?
Yes, it's going to take some special fairly expensive parts to be CNC'd, which are already in process.

jc888888888

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat eco boost, Mustang Mach E , Porsche Boxster
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yes, it's going to take some special fairly expensive parts to be CNC'd, which are already in process.
thanks !
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.