David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
How will that effect fuel economy?
Judging from the AFR logs the fuel economy can only go up. The AFR's got leaner at WOT, cruise they were un-affected.
Sponsored

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Does it eliminate hood flutter? :ROFLMAO:

Mav

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Maverick
Open filter element is a bad idea. You may have gotten good numbers for a pull or two. But back to back runs will start to show heat making an impact. If you can’t insulate the filter from the elements AND supply fresh air, it’s a waste of time, money.

DrDoom

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HPR XLT and Cyber Orange XLT 2022 Ford Mavericks
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm gonna address the heat shielding statement.

It's a complete waste of time. We've done so many tests with and without a "heat shield". The only way to get actual fresh colder air to a filter is to remove it from the engine bay. There is no simple solution for that on the Maverick.

If the filter is located in the engine bay it is going to be the temperature of the engine bay. It would be like sitting in your house where it's 90 degrees and putting a tin wall around yourself thinking you are going to be cooler, it isn't going to happen.

Ducting cold air to the filter or removing is completely from the bay (like our DSM/GTR or Forward Facing kits for the EVO) is the only way to actually get the inlet air temps lower.

I intentionally dyno'd this with the hood down with the stock box and then with this kit so the filter was ingesting the air it would on the road.
And Ford had the air duct to the filter box and you took all that off! I guess those Ford Engineers don't know anything about air induction!!

Mav

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Maverick
@ScottSG62 Do you think the above comments are funny because science is a fictitious conspiracy? Or are you just co-signing on bad practices?

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Open filter element is a bad idea. You may have gotten good numbers for a pull or two. But back to back runs will start to show heat making an impact. If you can’t insulate the filter from the elements AND supply fresh air, it’s a waste of time, money.
You are incorrect, sorry. Read my statement about the filters, shields and locations up a few posts.

Mav

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Maverick
You are incorrect, sorry. Read my statement about the filters, shields and locations up a few posts.
I read it. Prove me wrong. Do multiple runs. See if it doesn’t pull timing when the engine bay heats up. If I’m wrong, I’ll apologize

ScottSG62

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
@ScottSG62 Do you think the above comments are funny because science is a fictitious conspiracy? Or are you just co-signing be on bad practices?
Plenty of CAIs out there without heat shields and they do work. I've used them on Mustangs and never had an issue.

BILLNOROVILLE

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
prius, Hybrid XLT, Honda 1100Rebel, 2) Hawk 650NT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
in California unless it is CARB compliant with a sticker and number, it will not smog and no license renewal. Wonder if this will have CARB approval? Might cost more if it did. I'm leaving my Maverick engine bay alone for awhile.

OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
And Ford had the air duct to the filter box and you took all that off! I guess those Ford Engineers don't know anything about air induction!!
[/QUOTE
I read it. Prove me wrong. Do multiple runs. See if it doesn’t pull timing when the engine bay heats up. If I’m wrong, I’ll apologize
I've been doing multiple runs for 32 years, this morning there were multiple runs done again with the factory box and a LARGE fan blowing into the front of the truck and then with ours in place, all with the hood shut. The duct work on the factory box is small, it route to the radiator area, we were actually trying to find where the hell it goes and even with a light shining into it can't figure out with this tiny "duct" pulls air from, at best it's directly in front of the radiator.

The truck was at full operating temps, actually in the worst conditions it could be placed in, it was sitting stagnant on a dyno without any air flow, it doesn't get hotter under the hood of a vehicle than it does sitting at idle like that.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
in California unless it is CARB compliant with a sticker and number, it will not smog and no license renewal. Wonder if this will have CARB approval? Might cost more if it did. I'm leaving my Maverick engine bay alone for awhile.
NOT CARB exempt, won't pass California emissions.

OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Plenty of CAIs out there without heat shields and they do work. I've used them on Mustangs and never had an issue.
Me too, also Mustangs. The heat is the same if it's in the engine bay with our without a shield. The key is getting something that flows enough air, loss the pumping losses.

MaverickAngler

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Can’t wait to see what this along the exhaust you’re talking about will do! Getting closer and closer to FBO

Mav

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Maverick
I've been doing multiple runs for 32 years, this morning there were multiple runs done again with the factory box and a LARGE fan blowing into the front of the truck and then with ours in place, all with the hood shut. The duct work on the factory box is small, it route to the radiator area, we were actually trying to find where the hell it goes and even with a light shining into it can't figure out with this tiny "duct" pulls air from, at best it's directly in front of the radiator.

The truck was at full operating temps, actually in the worst conditions it could be placed in, it was sitting stagnant on a dyno without any air flow, it doesn't get hotter under the hood of a vehicle than it does sitting at idle like that.
Not trying to be rude. But there isn’t always a huge fan to cool intake charge. Perfect example would be a car stopped at a light. A fair comparison would be no fan between runs to simulate those conditions. Even better, limit how much air you push with the fan. Air flow is minimal at low speeds. Stop and go after some hard pulls will definitely cause the ECU to pull timing. Engine bay heat robs power.

Mav

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Maverick
Naturally aspirated?
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.