Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick Lariat 2.0 AWD; 20 Escape SEL 2.0 AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I too have been struggling with those some issues.
For me, I really prefer the ones that are flush mounted; so that is a higher priority for me.

You are probably struggling, because you are balancing cost with function. And hard to know what function you want, or need.

The flip ups are simple, unlatch and boom, open area. With roll ups you have to roll it. Seems hard would roll up quicker than soft.

Then there is being able to close the tailgate with the cover closed. For me, I want that. If I just want to toss something in, I really don't want to unlatch the cover. For example, I open the tailgate, toss something in, then close the tailgate and it doesn’t close completely. Now I have to lower the gate a little, unlatch the cover, close the gate and then latch the cover. Not for me, I’ll never remember to unlatch the gate before trying to close the gate.

The Velcro seems to pretty good, from a ”it will hold the cover down“ perspective. So a soft roll up with Velcro is one option.

If you want security, then a roll up with Velcro doesn’t seem to make sense, as I believe it could be lifted up to peak inside; maybe someone that has one can speak up if I’m incorrect.

The BAK X4 is a nice one. Same people that make the Ford one, and you can get it with black aluminum. The ‘lock’ runs the entire length of bed, to hold the cover down. And you can close it without unlatching the tailgate.

The Century is interesting because it can be taken out easily. However, that is one with Velcro. I also believe you have to unlatch it to close the tailgate.

There is also how much it blocks the window, when fully open. I prefer to be able to see out the window. Seems the hard tool up leaves enough open. Of course soft is the best In this regard.

So at this point I’m down to the cheaper soft roll up and BAK.
I have not seen any flush trifold. And if I’m going to spend money for hard roll up, might as well get the one that has what I want.

That’s my 2 cents, and my current thoughts. I still don’t have build date, so who knows what the state of things will be when I get my Mav. Either way, I do plan to order via Alex, as others have mentioned.
Sponsored

Maverick2022XL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL, AWD, 4K tow, 2.0L EcoBoost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I too have been struggling with those some issues.
For me, I really prefer the ones that are flush mounted; so that is a higher priority for me.

You are probably struggling, because you are balancing cost with function. And hard to know what function you want, or need.

The flip ups are simple, unlatch and boom, open area. With roll ups you have to roll it. Seems hard would roll up quicker than soft.

Then there is being able to close the tailgate with the cover closed. For me, I want that. If I just want to toss something in, I really don't want to unlatch the cover. For example, I open the tailgate, toss something in, then close the tailgate and it doesn’t close completely. Now I have to lower the gate a little, unlatch the cover, close the gate and then latch the cover. Not for me, I’ll never remember to unlatch the gate before trying to close the gate.

The Velcro seems to pretty good, from a ”it will hold the cover down“ perspective. So a soft roll up with Velcro is one option.

If you want security, then a roll up with Velcro doesn’t seem to make sense, as I believe it could be lifted up to peak inside; maybe someone that has one can speak up if I’m incorrect.

The BAK X4 is a nice one. Same people that make the Ford one, and you can get it with black aluminum. The ‘lock’ runs the entire length of bed, to hold the cover down. And you can close it without unlatching the tailgate.

The Century is interesting because it can be taken out easily. However, that is one with Velcro. I also believe you have to unlatch it to close the tailgate.

There is also how much it blocks the window, when fully open. I prefer to be able to see out the window. Seems the hard tool up leaves enough open. Of course soft is the best In this regard.

So at this point I’m down to the cheaper soft roll up and BAK.
I have not seen any flush trifold. And if I’m going to spend money for hard roll up, might as well get the one that has what I want.

That’s my 2 cents, and my current thoughts. I still don’t have build date, so who knows what the state of things will be when I get my Mav. Either way, I do plan to order via Alex, as others have mentioned.
I have a Truxedo Truxport soft roll up and if security is what you are looking for skip that cover. Not only can you open the velcro on the sides to peek in you can get into the bed that way with it closed. If you want something that will keep the bed dry and be able have full bed access when rolled up then it is a good choice.

Bj517

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This worked for me and I'm right there with you. I never owned a truck and use my Maverick for exactly as your describe you are using yours.

I would highly suggest you try this: https://realtruck.com/p/gator-sfx-tri-fold-tonneau-cover/

It's a soft trifold and it's all I need. Security is not a concern. Locks are for honest people anyway. Functionality though; easy on, easy off, if I need that, but mostly just leave it and use it like a trunk. I contacted [email protected] and mentioned I was on this group and I got a great deal for this cover from real truck.
I've been eyeing that cover for when my maverick finally arrives. How good is it at keeping out water?

CenTexMav

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: Subaru WRX, Challanger RT, RAM 1500
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I first ordered a BAKflip X4S... I waited a couple of months and kept being delayed. Hindsight says maybe I should have been patient and waited. Ultimately, I canceled and ordered the Ford REV hard roll up (which I believe is a earlier generation of the same bed cover.) I just got notice it should arrive in the next couple of days. I like the hard roll up because it is much more secure than a soft roll up. Despite the earlier comment, I think it would be very difficult to pry open this tonneau. Fold up covers are good but blocks the rear window if you have to open the bed all the way up. Read the reviews, everyone has different needs and budgets.

OP
OP

joeh

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape, Ranger, Cobra - Jeep Wrangler
Thanks everyone! Lots of good information and I appreciate all the help!

Sponsored

bschurman

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat, 1961 VW bug
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I've been eyeing that cover for when my maverick finally arrives. How good is it at keeping out water?
It's actually really good with keeping out the water.

I went to a touchless car wash yesterday with it on and there was only a small amount of wetness near the tailgate. No puddles. Otherwise, with normal rain, I have not seen any water in the bed.

Bj517

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It's actually really good with keeping out the water.

I went to a touchless car wash yesterday with it on and there was only a small amount of wetness near the tailgate. No puddles. Otherwise, with normal rain, I have not seen any water in the bed.
Awesome. Do you have the tailgate seal/weatherstripping installed as well?

bschurman

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat, 1961 VW bug
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Awesome. Do you have the tailgate seal/weatherstripping installed as well?
Yes, I have the tailgate seal installed.

I just flipped open the cover and drove around and it dried rather quickly. I just make sure not have anything in the bed when I got to get the salt and grime washed off.

Bushpilot

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Volt
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I hear you, same story here. I threw up my hands, and ordered the "budget" Gator SFX, which can be had for less than $300, and gets good reviews. (It has not showed up yet.)

I expect that I will like it, and will never know any better. Ignorance (and a low price) is bliss!

Last edited:

Bj517

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yes, I have the tailgate seal installed.

I just flipped open the cover and drove around and it dried rather quickly. I just make sure not have anything in the bed when I got to get the salt and grime washed off.
Thanks, I'll have to keep an eye on these for when they go on sale next and scoop one up

Sponsored

Stoked

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT AWD Carb Gray 4K 360
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I will start by saying my Ranger had a Leer hard top on it so I have never had to consider a tonneau cover before {hell, I misspell the damn word more often than not when researching these things}. The subject quite frankly is beyond confusing! So many choices and so many manufacturers I am not sure how people ever decide on these things! I will start by saying I ordered a soft trifold but removed it based on what I read on this forum. My Maverick will be used for the basic things all trucks are used for, trips to Lowes, the garden centers, moving things, grocery store trips, weekend getaways, etc. I live in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia so the climate isnt harsh. Moderate snow in the winters and not blazing hot summers. I like the look of the "in bed" ones that are level with the sides but that isnt a "must have". Not too keen on the ones that have the sides that close with velcro. I would also like to order the bed extender but left it off my build because the Ford site stated that it would not work with a cover {which I dont think is true but maybe it is on certain styles?}. So here I am, waiting on my build and wondering how I will ever decide on what cover to buy once it does arrive. These things are not cheap so I dont want to make a bad choice. I guess my question is, given the main parameters of security, looks, ease of use, and possible bed extender is there a "better" choice? Not so much worried about the manufacturer at this point but just want to start with the main decision - hard rollup, hard folding, soft folding, soft rollup! Help!
@joeh i live in the Shenandoah Valley as well, wanted to see if you were comfortable with telling me where you ordered from. I went to Harrisonburg thinking one of the larger cities would get me a better scheduling date. But still nothing

OP
OP

joeh

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape, Ranger, Cobra - Jeep Wrangler
@joeh i live in the Shenandoah Valley as well, wanted to see if you were comfortable with telling me where you ordered from. I went to Harrisonburg thinking one of the larger cities would get me a better scheduling date. But still nothing
I ordered from Malloy in Winchester. If you go to the Virginia Roll call string there are a few others over there!

Crance

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Awaiting
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Timothyd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore, Miata, motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I would like a truck topper in the future, but refuse to pay $3449 for one from Ford. Way overpriced. Will happily volunteer to be the sizing guinea pig for Leer or ARE toppers in the Daytona Beach/ Orlando area or Softopper. Anyone? Bueller? When my Mav finally arrives, I'll probably go with the tri-fold tonneau for the time being.
I ordered a tri fold for now. I'm hoping topper prices come down some in the future. I might be dreaming.
Sponsored