Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordered 2022 Mav XLT rolled into 23 AND 24
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Two questions, thanks.
Snowbird has a new Mav XLT EB.
Will be leaving to go to the cold late April early May.
Plan is to come back maybe in November or maybe January.
Do people use tenders or trickle chargers to maintain battery for such a period of time?
If yes, anyone got a recommendation for such a charger?
Sponsored

Jeff D.

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Maverick Lariat & Jeep Renegade
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hi, Old Farmer. Yes, you can use a Battery Tender, or other brand battery maintainer for that long of a period. A trickle charger I wouldn't recommend. Most of those do not shut off when the battery is full and will continue to charge at a low rate. Even though it is a low rate it can still ruin your battery by overcharging.

I personally like Battery Tender brand products, but there's others out there with good reputations too.

A Battery Tender Jr. should work for your needs. https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tend...d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9zZWFyY2hfdGhlbWF0aWM&psc=1

Gpp

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 ford maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Its definitely good insurance considering how much a good battery cost today.consider one that you can mount in the engine compartment.25$ dollor ones are a waste of money.im still using the same solid state tender on my 1999 lightning and its only had one battery replacement.

First Sergeant

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT Hybrid 2014 Toyota 4Runner Limited
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Sponsored

SLINGSHOT

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 RAV4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I have four. RAV4, Mav, Yamaha 400 and Slingshot.
If it has a battery . . .

Builder

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I love my Noco Genius5. Plenty of power for quick charges and very safe to use. Does 12v and 6v as well as lead acid, lithium ion, deep cycle, and AGM. Also can recondition/repair dead batteries down to <1v. You can leave it on the battery as long as you want. About $70 on Amazon.

HoiToid

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Which battery are these used for? The battery under the hood, or the hybrid's battery under passenger seat?
How do they work? Don't know till ya ask?

Builder

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Which battery are these used for? The battery under the hood, or the hybrid's battery under passenger seat?
How do they work? Don't know till ya ask?
It’s for the 12v battery under the rear seat in hybrids and under the hood for ECOBOOST. The 1.1 kw traction battery is under the front passenger seat outside the cabin and only visible from underneath the Mav. Connect the battery tender to the designated posts under the hybrid hood or directly to the positive terminal of the battery and a negative ground near the battery. Do not attach the negative ground to the battery post beyond the BMS. The BMS is the small module on the negative terminal. Better just to stay away from it if you are connecting directly to the battery. Use another grounding point otherwise the BMS will throw defaults. The tender will recharge the battery and maintain it at a full charge until you remove it. You can basically keep a battery tender on the 12v battery indefinitely until you are ready to drive the Mav. Use a 12v battery tender not a trickle charger. Today’s battery tenders are smart products. A trickle charger may not know when to stop charging a battery and may overcharge or “boil” your 12v battery.

Last edited:

HoiToid

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks, Builder, for your explanation; is a battery Tender necessary if I drive at least 4 days a week? I'm new to the Hybrid technology, been driving gas only Fords forever

Sponsored

Builder

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks, Builder, for your explanation; is a battery Tender necessary if I drive at least 4 days a week? I'm new to the Hybrid technology, been driving gas only Fords forever
Depends on your experience with the 12v battery. Some owners never have a problem while others can’t go a few days without deep sleep or no start issues. Late MY23 and newer MY24 seem to have less of an issue overall. Keep in mind that deep sleep is by design and preserves the starting power for the 12v battery. Seems that a lot of Mav owners that experience deep sleep use a tender about once every one to three weeks or if they go for extended periods without driving. They will try to keep the 12v battery from sulfating if it falls below a 50% charge. Sulfating damages the battery after which it won’t hold a charge at all. Keep an eye on your dome lights when you open the door. If they don’t come on, you are in a battery preservation mode although the Mav may still start. Ford Pass will also notify you of deep sleep events. You don’t want to get to a point where your Mav won’t start. There’s a ton of info and experiences on the MTC forum regarding this issue. Search under deep sleep or 12v and prepare to be overwhelmed.

Last edited:

2seater

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Reatta, Ford Ranger, Subaru Forester
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I retrieved my Mav from storage this morning. Sound asleep despite being on a battery tender the four months it was in storage. No interior lights, locks, dash etc.... It started up with no issues, but the sleep can't be a state of charge issue. I have had it do this 1/2 hour after parking from a 50 mile drive. I will be heading out for a substantial round trip for the solar eclipse next week and I am very leery of getting any updates or recalls done due to the sketchy reports of follow-on malfunctions. Grrr. The ship that knocked down the bridge was reported to have engine maintenance done just prior to the accident :(:(:(

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I retrieved my Mav from storage this morning. Sound asleep despite being on a battery tender the four months it was in storage. No interior lights, locks, dash etc.... It started up with no issues, but the sleep can't be a state of charge issue. I have had it do this 1/2 hour after parking from a 50 mile drive. I will be heading out for a substantial round trip for the solar eclipse next week and I am very leery of getting any updates or recalls done due to the sketchy reports of follow-on malfunctions. Grrr. The ship that knocked down the bridge was reported to have engine maintenance done just prior to the accident :(:(:(
I live near Burnet which is close to Lampassas, prime spot for eclipse watching. Also near the Reveille Branch for event center which has 1200-1400 acres and has a music festival scheduled from the 5th through the 9th. They originally had a permit for 30,000 but Rumor has ticket sales now at 60,000. Today the 4th is early check in and wife was in town an reported that there WAS NO PARKING NEAR HEB grocery.. Two days ago we were there and barely got in and shelves were showing a few bare spots with the night time restock crew there at high noon. You might want to carry your groceries and drinks in (if you have a pop up with a porto potty you might bring it?)?
Sponsored