AnnieWaits

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I know this is relatively premature, since most of the Mavs on this board have 20,000 miles or fewer, but has anyone looked into how difficult it would be to change the fluid on the AWD power transfer unit? It's not on the maintenance schedule, but these seem to frequently fail on many AWD CUVs, IMO, because of a combination of often being placed near very hot engine and exhaust components, and the manufacturers declaring them to have "lifetime fill" fluid. I'd consider doing it or having it done around the 50k mark.
Sponsored

fossil

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 SVT Cobra Mustang, HPR Lariat Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
it's more a function of how hard it's been worked off road

Sleeper 7

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Fusion 14 Ram Dump 23 Maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Someone on here did it a few weeks ago. Easy job on the Mav lots of room. I heard every 30k is recommended. That gos for trans fluid also.

Sleeper 7

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Fusion 14 Ram Dump 23 Maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Sponsored

AltoBlueLariat

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I changed the PTU oil myself and it was easy. Removing the skid plate on my FX4 was the hardest part. I refilled it by using a clear plastic tube routed from the engine compartment above.

Sjurgen

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shannon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Spark, Toyota Prius, 1973 F100
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The hardest part for me was squeezing out the cold oil from the bottle. I placed bottle in very hot water to thin it and it was easier. I swapped to bottle top from the RDU oil bottle and put a small hose on the tip. The job is not that bad.

Montana

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Sponsored

LGRW_GoGRG

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick 2022
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I had the TPU fluid changed at the dealer at the recommended 30k miles and I wouldn't recommend it. My truck has been a bit jumpy ever since. Probably would have been better to wait for 50k.

801Maverick801

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I had the TPU fluid changed at the dealer at the recommended 30k miles and I wouldn't recommend it. My truck has been a bit jumpy ever since. Probably would have been better to wait for 50k.
Then they didnt service it correctly. It doesnt even take a quart of fluid. I changed mine plus the RDU at 10,000 miles and I highly recommend others do the same after seeing what my fluid looked like.

Id probably stop driving your truck to be honest until you check the fluid level.

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Someone on here did it a few weeks ago. Easy job on the Mav lots of room. I heard every 30k is recommended. That gos for trans fluid also.
30k is for severe duty use which includes frequent towing. It also include frequent stop and go driving which is just about all I do. Otherwise the manual states 60k. Can't hurt to do it sooner though.

LGRW_GoGRG

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick 2022
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Then they didnt service it correctly. It doesnt even take a quart of fluid. I changed mine plus the RDU at 10,000 miles and I highly recommend others do the same after seeing what my fluid looked like.

Id probably stop driving your truck to be honest until you check the fluid level.
Welp, I either changed it too early or something else was definitely going on because I just got a call from the dealer and the tech notified me that there is metal in the tranny fluid, so I believe they are doing an entire transmission replacement since I'm still under power train warranty at 41k miles. Not really happy about it because now I'm scratching my head for not getting the extended Granger Ford/Flood warranty. Will post updates once I hear more.
Sponsored