Sponsored

Anyone try their luck selling on Carvana, Vroom, etc.?

OP
OP
Mav

Mav

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Maverick
This really is a wild thread. People going through this much effort to profit a couple thousand dollars to buy vehicles they probably shouldn’t be buying?
Kind of a big assumption there. And I wouldn’t sell for less than 5k more than what I paid out the door. My apologies if this thread is too weird for you.
Sponsored

Atisko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan rogue
This really is a wild thread. People going through this much effort to profit a couple thousand dollars to buy vehicles they probably shouldn’t be buying? I doubt there’s going to be any long standing rush on Maverick prices if people that ordered in November are already getting build dates. Not to mention it’s not really that type of vehicle. It’s a budget truck, a nice one, but not something people are going to drop large sums to get. I really doubt there will be very many people looking to buy them for the price of decent GMC Canyon. The only thing it really has going for it is that the ranger is butt ugly.
That’s what people thought about the bronco now look at the prices!!!!!!!

Reactions: Mav

vezpa

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
EMG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too many to list.
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You pay sales taxes when you buyout your leased vehicle. This at the end of the lease duration or if you do an early termination.
You do not pay sales taxes on the sale of a vehicle you own fully or that you financed through a bank, because these sales taxes were already factored in the initial purchase price.
Finally sales taxes play a role also when you sell your vehicle and buy a new one. If the transaction is done at a dealer all states impose sales taxes only on the difference in net cost between what you buy and what you trade in.
If you sell your car privately in few states you have to pay sales taxes on the full purchase price of the new vehicle, even if you used the money of the previous sale to reduce your net out of pocket.
Or you can get screwed like we do here in Illinois and only get up to $10k in tax credits for our trade in, even if its a $30k-$40k vehicle that we are trading in. That is basically double taxing us on the new vehicle.

C J Cox

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If you are thinking about flipping your Maverick shortly after purchase, here are my thoughts:
  • You may be able to avoid sales tax if you pay cash. Get a transit tag, temp registration and most important, the certificate of origin.
  • Keep in mind that hard inquiries stay on your credit report for 2 years. Too many can lower your score. I made that mistake with my last purchases, less than 2 years apart. My FICO score lowered 20+ points for that reason.
  • If you finance the purchase, you will have to have the car titled and pay tax which brings us to my next item
  • Find out ahead of time if your state uses paper titles. Lien holder paper copies can take up to 45 days to reach them. You’ll need that for a release. This tidbit was from Ford credit when I bought F150 and financed part of the purchase for a rebate (remember those?). That would only be a factor in a private sale.
  • Ford permits transfer of new vehicle warranty one time
  • Don’t underestimate the value of your Maverick. The chip shortage and other supply chain problems will continue for some time.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mav

Mav

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Maverick
If you are thinking about flipping your Maverick shortly after purchase, here are my thoughts:
  • You may be able to avoid sales tax if you pay cash. Get a transit tag, temp registration and most important, the certificate of origin.
  • Keep in mind that hard inquiries stay on your credit report for 2 years. Too many can lower your score. I made that mistake with my last purchases, less than 2 years apart. My FICO score lowered 20+ points for that reason.
  • If you finance the purchase, you will have to have the car titled and pay tax which brings us to my next item
  • Find out ahead of time if your state uses paper titles. Lien holder paper copies can take up to 45 days to reach them. You’ll need that for a release. This tidbit was from Ford credit when I bought F150 and financed part of the purchase for a rebate (remember those?). That would only be a factor in a private sale.
  • Ford permits transfer of new vehicle warranty one time
  • Don’t underestimate the value of your Maverick. The chip shortage and other supply chain problems will continue for some time.
My score did drop a little. But it’s still very high. So I’m not too concerned about that. I do have a couple months before the ST will be ready. So my lien holder and title stuff should be cleared by then. I have no desire to avoid taxes. Just trying to capitalize on an opportunity that we may never see again.
I won’t be selling myself short with the Maverick. I may even sell it private party to get the most I can out of it. Between now and February I expect the Maverick quotes to go up. Hoping for 40k or better.

Sponsored

inferno

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Chevy Colorado, 2022 Ford Maverick
Anyone try to get a quote from any of the car buying companies? Curious to see what kind of offers I could get for my Maverick.
Vroom offered me $30,000 for my XL AWD Ecoboost with 340 miles. I am not interested in selling, was just curious.

Last edited:

GaMaverick

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Vroom offered me $30,000 for my XL AWD Ecoboost with 340 miles
Offered $38,500 for my Lariat but that’s not enough over $37k MSRP for me considering it’s fully loaded with moonroof even though I only paid $35,600 with tax title and tags.
Yep being greedy because I’d have to turn around and buy some other vehicle marked up. I would want at least $40k 🤣

OP
OP
Mav

Mav

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Maverick
Offered $38,500 for my Lariat but that’s not enough over $37k MSRP for me considering it’s fully loaded with moonroof even though I only paid $35,600 with tax title and tags.
Yep being greedy because I’d have to turn around and buy some other vehicle marked up. I would want at least $40k 🤣
When I first became aware of the increased value of used cars, I was only getting quotes for a couple grand more than I owed on my infinity. By the time I had a maverick to replace it with, that number went to almost 11k. On average it was going up about 1000 a month. I mention it because I think there’s more room for the prices to go up on 2nd hand mavericks. Even though production is starting to kick them out, the demand will still be more than they can satisfy. Add that to the current used market drought, and this isn’t going to stop any time soon.

brnpttmn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Quick thread hijack re: Carvana. What are people's experience with their instant offers? Do they usually hold true for the actual transaction are the BS?

fordtruckguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford truck
Quick thread hijack re: Carvana. What are people's experience with their instant offers? Do they usually hold true for the actual transaction are the BS?
just sold my car to carvana. Their offer was higher than the other online buyers. When I went in to update my actual (higher) mileage instead of a rounded number my offer went up by $2k. At that point I did not want to mess with any other inputs. Scheduled an appointment they came and took some pictures, made sure the car started, and handed me a check for the offer price. Very smooth.

Reactions: Aza
Sponsored

fordtruckguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford truck
seems like Vroom is offering way more over msrp for the XL vs.XLT and Lariat. My offer from Vroom was almost exactly MSRP. They have an XL listed for sale for $34k.

brnpttmn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
just sold my car to carvana. Their offer was higher than the other online buyers. When I went in to update my actual (higher) mileage instead of a rounded number my offer went up by $2k. At that point I did not want to mess with any other inputs. Scheduled an appointment they came and took some pictures, made sure the car started, and handed me a check for the offer price. Very smooth.
Wow, thanks. I inputted our two cars and am seriously reconsidering replacing my wife's 2012 Hyundai (still runs great - $6700 offer) instead of my 2014 corolla ($16,400 offer - only about $2k less than I paid for it 7 years ago). Just have to see how much my wife was looking forward to switching.

tebowed

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat FX4 2.0T
I decided to accept the Vroom offer of 39k on my Lariat last week on Thursday. So far Crickets since I hit accept on their website. The more I look at the Mav in my driveway, the more I want to keep it.

Aza

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I decided to accept the Vroom offer of 39k on my Lariat last week on Thursday. So far Crickets since I hit accept on their website. The more I look at the Mav in my driveway, the more I want to keep it.
Can you cancel the acceptance of the offer?

clippedwings

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Transit Connect
I got a totally unexpected offer for my Transit Connect. More than a dealer would probably sell it for. $3000 more than my Ford dealer offered as a trade-in! doesn't do me much good though since i have been waiting in silence for 4 months now for my build and I'm not feeling it's going to happen anytime soon. In fact, if I can get my hands on a SC limited trim for MSRP (doubtful) I'm going for it. If my TC holds it's value a bit longer it will help compensate for the SC's much higher price
Sponsored