Anyone planning to remove their spare ?

Mav

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Maverick
Considering the weight savings, and the fact that I can probably go without it until my first tire rotation, I’m tempted to just run without it until I rotate.

Anybody ever thought about not running the spare?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Mav

Mav

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Maverick
Yep. I'll take all the weight savings I can get for normal driving, I'll put it back underneath for any longer trips I make.

Gotta ask though, you're not planning to rotate in your spare are you? It's not an actual matching, full-size spare on any of the models.
Damn, I must need sleep… (sitting at the airport for the past 9hrs with delayed flights).
I meant to post this on the Bronco forums 🤣

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I got the "full-size" spare and I'll be leaving it where it sits. In a state like Arizona, once you get off the main highways you could be waiting quite a while for roadside assistance. Assuming you could get a signal to call them.

I realize I could put it back when I was planning on going somewhere inconvenient -- if I knew where I was going ahead of time and remembered to do it -- but that's a bit too much trouble for me. How much difference is it going to make in the mileage, anyway?

TruckVille

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alto Blue, 4K Tow, Luxury Package, Flux Capacitor
I feel pretty much the same as DryHeat. The added weight is trivial compared to the safety it provides.

Sponsored

04mach146

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Tahoe, dodge eco-diesel
Opposite upgrading my spare to match actual bigger tires not concerned with mpg or id have gotten the hybrid. Js 😆 and will put it in rotation with others as it now has a matching wheel to the fx4 wheels it comes with.

bgn

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Tossing the donut in the trash and getting a 235 spare.

bombast

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL, Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The mileage tempts me, but I live in the boonies so getting help isn't easy, even if you have cell coverage. My engine overheated today and it took over an hour of limping to get to a place where help could hear me let alone find me.

Speaking of which, I have to go pick that car up. Just sitting on the side of the road cooling down.

Sponsored

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I HOPE NONE OF YU GET A FLAT TIRE!
You don't need a spare for a flat tire, you generally only need it for a destroyed tire.

Most punctures you air up the tire and leave the object in if its very small, and then just limp to discount tire or whatever for a proper fix.

For larger objects or faster leaks, you would remove the object and use a tiny light little toolkit that includes a multitool with plyers, rammer/rougher-upper tool, rubber cement as lubricant/sealant, and some stuff that looks like tarry shoestring with an inserter. You remove the object, rough it up with the rammer, lubricate the tar shoestring thing inserted into the inserter tool, push it into the hole, and quickly yank up. Use the multitool to trim excess. Air up the tire and you're good to limp to tire shop keeping it under 55mph.

So far I've never been forced to actually change a tire on the side of the road in my life, but its nice to have for really long road trips but typically not needed in any major city. Besides, in a congested city in Houston I'd rather wait for roadside service that has a truck with big flashy yellow lights to park behind me and block traffic than risk doing it on the side of the road where people get run over.

Total tire destruction does happen, but its usually because of exceedingly old dry rotted or very bald tires, something I never do as I'm a tire snob. Otherwise, tires are pretty strong and reliable these days.
And if you roll over a sharp object in the roadway and cut open a tire then what do you do?
Plug it. I've even had something as large as a motorcycle brake lever that I guess snapped off from some accident and was left in the road jam into my tire, and that's a pretty big object. The tar string/cement held pressure no problem until I could get it properly patched from the inside by a tire shop for free.

Reactions: HPR

ColoradoShooter

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma/Fusion
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You don't need a spare for a flat tire, you generally only need it for a destroyed tire.

Most punctures you air up the tire and leave the object in if its very small, and then just limp to discount tire or whatever for a proper fix.

For larger objects or faster leaks, you would remove the object and use a tiny light little toolkit that includes a multitool with plyers, rammer/rougher-upper tool, rubber cement as lubricant/sealant, and some stuff that looks like tarry shoestring with an inserter. You remove the object, rough it up with the rammer, lubricate the tar shoestring thing inserted into the inserter tool, push it into the hole, and quickly yank up. Use the multitool to trim excess. Air up the tire and you're good to limp to tire shop keeping it under 55mph.

So far I've never been forced to actually change a tire on the side of the road in my life, but its nice to have for really long road trips but typically not needed in any major city. Besides, in a congested city in Houston I'd rather wait for roadside service that has a truck with big flashy yellow lights to park behind me and block traffic than risk doing it on the side of the road where people get run over.

Total tire destruction does happen, but its usually because of exceedingly old dry rotted or very bald tires, something I never do as I'm a tire snob. Otherwise, tires are pretty strong and reliable these days.

Plug it. I've even had something as large as a motorcycle brake lever that I guess snapped off from some accident and was left in the road jam into my tire, and that's a pretty big object. The tar string/cement held pressure no problem until I could get it properly patched from the inside by a tire shop for free.
I have successfully used plugs for many years and if used with a quality rubber cement, will last the life of the tire. Only issue with your post is that not everyone will have an on board air compressor or an air tank to refill a flat tire.

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have successfully used plugs for many years and if used with a quality rubber cement, will last the life of the tire. Only issue with your post is that not everyone will have an on board air compressor or an air tank to refill a flat tire.
My other cars always came with one, does the Maverick not? If not, there are plenty of little ones you can throw under a seat that use the 12V outlet and are cheap. Even with a spare, there's a good chance you might have to inflate it as its probably rarely checked.

ColoradoShooter

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma/Fusion
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I’ve never owned a new car that came with an air compressor. Though the Maverick PR team touts that an owner can instal one in the bed cubby, I’d wager the vast majority of owners never will and roll with an inflated spare tire. It’s there for a reason.

bcording

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Lariat Hybrid
I've been contemplating it or at least looking in that area for some storage/compress space
Sponsored