Sponsored

Anyone else thinking about solar charging hybrid?

JTCC

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Juno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT Hybrid and 12 motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The Sonata hybrid has rooftop solar to help out with running the accessories, which is probably on the verge of maxing it out. Cost vs return just isn't that great, but at least it looks cool.
Sponsored

Watchman

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
V12-XJS Jaguar, S10 LS Stepside
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If you are talking about the hybrid, all the reasons given above for why solar charging would be a waste of money also apply to setting up an induction charging system.

If you are talking about for an EV, here's an article on the difficulties involved:
Wireless Charging Technology for EVs - Power Electronics News
Hybrids need only be refined until we can get EVs to "go the distance". Charging has been and still is a challenge, for now. There's a lot to say about battery technology too and that will change significantly in the next few years. I sure hope the future of charging EVs isn't going to depend on guys like the one who wrote that article in the link you posted. Man, could he be any more pessimistic? He really thinks we can't get the pad and the receiver to align, really? You would think he would know what's going on in the EV charging field around the world and write something a little more optimistic.

America was built on ideas, ingenuity and creative ways to solve most any problem --given the need and time to do so. History has many creative minds thinking outside the box that were told their ideas would never work only to proved them wrong. At an inventors conference in Las Vegas during the CES show almost 20 years ago I saw the first PC wireless mouse on an induction charging pad. It didn't take long for that technology to be implemented in the Cell Phone market - - unfortunately it was slow to get accepted by consumers. So now here we are today and you have the option to get induction charging incorporated in the center console of the new Maverick!

As far as induction charging "Electric Vehicles" . . . . IT WILL HAPPEN and probably sooner than the time it took technology to get from that PC mouse to charging your phone in your Maverick. There are several companies developing technology to charge your EV while you are driving down the road! - Crazy, just research "Magment GMBH" (I have been following them for several years).

Ford Maverick Anyone else thinking about solar charging hybrid? magment

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
As far as induction charging "Electric Vehicles" . . . . IT WILL HAPPEN and probably sooner than the time it took technology to get from that PC mouse to charging your phone in your Maverick. There are several companies developing technology to charge your EV while you are driving down the road! - Crazy, just research "Magment GMBH" (I have been following them for several years).
I'll check out Magment GMBH. And you should check out Moller International (flying cars). I've been following them for several years.

Let me know when EV charging on the road becomes a real thing, and I'll let you know when I get my flying car. :sneaky:

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Having not driven the hybrid yet I have driven other hybrids. The charge state when you park it isn't going to be at 100%. While I can't argue the current state of solar panels being efficient enough. Covering the truck bed with panels would fulfill approx 300-400 watts with current technology. I have been reading about a company in china that has made considerable advancements in solar cell density/efficiency.
It will never be at 100% or if somehow it gets really close the computer will refrain from starting ice until it can bring HVB SOC down enough to allow Regen braking to be possible. The system is designed to save braking energy for reuse. To use an external energy source they have designed a "plug in hybrid" version. So when they make a plug in maverick you will want one of those. Then for aerodynamic reasons you can then start shopping for a solar cell vehicle wrap, which will someday be made I am sure!🤔🤔🤗🤗👍👍

NewBernWolf

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lynda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Couldn't have said it better! I thought about that for years and can't understand why there is zero interest from any manufacturer. We'll probably see this in the European market before we see it here.

I also don't understand why there is Zero "induction charging"? I talked to Tesla at the 2009 Detroit Auto Show before they had real money. Who wants to stand in the weather plugging or unplugging?
Toyota briefly made a top level Prius with some kind of solar mat on top of the car. It would never really have been big enough or powerful enough to do more than run some heat or cooling, and the whole concept appears to have been abandoned in favor of the Prime models of plug-in electric Toyotas. I don't remember exactly when they were made, but it would have been after I purchased my 2008 and before I purchased my 2017.

Sponsored

Watchman

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
V12-XJS Jaguar, S10 LS Stepside
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'll check out Magment GMBH. And you should check out Moller International (flying cars). I've been following them for several years.

Let me know when EV charging on the road becomes a real thing, and I'll let you know when I get my flying car. :sneaky:
Somewhat a predictable reply. Apples and Oranges my friend - - Apples and Oranges!

You have a Merry Christmas

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Somewhat a predictable reply.
Wow! You predicted that I would compare the wait for roadways that charge our EVs to the wait for the always-soon-to-appear flying car? That's amazing!

I stand in awe of your psychic abilities! (But of course you already knew that...) ;)

Happy Holidays to you as well!

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Toyota briefly made a top level Prius with some kind of solar mat on top of the car. It would never really have been big enough or powerful enough to do more than run some heat or cooling, and the whole concept appears to have been abandoned in favor of the Prime models of plug-in electric Toyotas. I don't remember exactly when they were made, but it would have been after I purchased my 2008 and before I purchased my 2017.
It's still a factory option in the Europe and Japan markets for the Prius, but it doesn't meet US rollover crash ratings so we don't get it here.

icegradner

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

At one time people may have thought that making transparent concrete was a pipe dream, but now they can. One day pigs may even be able to fly, not sure why we'd want them to, but I'm sure someone will do it, just to kill off that old joke.

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
At one time people may have thought that making transparent concrete was a pipe dream, but now they can.
If you follow the string of posts and responses, my point wasn't that they won't ever be able to do it.

My point was that there are a lot of obstacles that need to be overcome.

At my age, I doubt that I'll get my flying car. But maybe my daughter will get hers.

Although I doubt it will be made of transparent concrete... ;)

Sponsored

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
At one time people may have thought that making transparent concrete was a pipe dream, but now they can. One day pigs may even be able to fly, not sure why we'd want them to, but I'm sure someone will do it, just to kill off that old joke.
It's not actually transparent, it's translucent and only due to adding optical fibers to the aggregate.

Now if you were talking about transparent aluminum...

JoeTime

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I specifically want the hybrid so I don't tinker with having an Ecoboost. But I can't stop thinking about a solar panel on the roof of the cab or a solar panel tonneau cover. I know it probably wouldn't be much but how many miles per day could you get and how much of a boost to fuel economy do you think? 🤔
Are you thinking on trying to drive with battery only? You can't switch on/off the battery/gas power.

Mach 1

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Hybr 2018 F150 Lariat 3.5 ECO
Pop, may I confer with you about this exact service, I have Santan solar panels 250w, I really want to do Enphase micro inverter, I know its over kill. 6000w , I saw the 7 series are down to almost $100ea.

I will use this off grid solar system to charge my EV, plus my house. I have to go off grid because of the used panels, I can segregate part or all of my home/shop/well pump.

OP
OP

Aircraftmech

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang Conv Eco
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
@JoeTime My thought process wasn't really to drive completely battery but more along the lines of extending intervals of when the gasoline engine would kick on to charge the hybrid battery. A tri fold tonneau cover with solar panels isn't too farfetched. At the very least it could keep the 12v battery topped off.

Timothyd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore, Miata, motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I specifically want the hybrid so I don't tinker with having an Ecoboost. But I can't stop thinking about a solar panel on the roof of the cab or a solar panel tonneau cover. I know it probably wouldn't be much but how many miles per day could you get and how much of a boost to fuel economy do you think? 🤔
The small panels on the truck might get you as much as a tenth of a mile on a very good day.
Sponsored