Sponsored

Answered, thank you! - Help me understand if the Maverick can tow a 1,707 pound trailer.

MostlySafeBear

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(Eventually) a Ford Truck
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
As far as I know, the hybrid Maverick has a 1564 pound payload capacity (eSource PDF) and a 2,000 pound towing capacity. I am considering picking up a base XL until the next gen of the Lightning (come on 800V battery system and more payload)

But anyhow, does this setup work, or would it be unsafe?

- Three people, weighing about 600 pounds combined.
- A 1,707 pound travel trailer, manufacturer specifies 160 pound hitch weight.
- Ultralight bed cap with cab over section (antenna removed) for extra storage space. Weight unknown, assuming 110 pounds.
- Up to 32 gallons of water in a tank tied down in the front of the bed, with associated fill/drain/pump hardware.
- Sufficient water for 14 days of off-grid time assuming 1 gallon per person per day.

Payload calculation seems to be 1564 (eSource PDF) - 600 - 160 - 110 - 277 = 417 pounds of payload capacity remaining.
Towing calculation is 1,707 pounds dry weight plus 10 gallons of water (83.4 pounds) = 1790.4 pounds, so 209.6 pounds towing capacity remaining.

I did see the Ford towing guide PDF did include a towing calculator at the end, but it didn't make much sense to me.

Ford Maverick Answered, thank you! - Help me understand if the Maverick can tow a 1,707 pound trailer. Towing Calculator
Sponsored

Last edited:

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
pretty sure the GCWR includes the weight of what you are towing (trailer fully loaded) AND everything in the tow vehicle including passengers and load in bed. If correct, you are pushing up against XL FWD 2,000lb safe ceiling just with the trailer. I could certainly be wrong about that. There's a whole long discussion thread about this if you search the forum topics that would give more correct info than my memory :unsure:

OP
OP
MostlySafeBear

MostlySafeBear

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm aware that there are many discussions about it. Just trying to get input on my specific use case.

Bad Actor

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 Ranger XLT, 73 Mustang Base, 02 Toyota Camry
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You have two different weights to consider, the combined gross weight of the Mav and trailer, and the payload of just the Mav. If you're payload for the Mav is 1500, subtract the weight of your passengers, water, cap, and tongue weight. Based on what you provided, you have 1126 lbs, so you are OK there.

The combined gross vehicle weight rating for your set up would be 3670 lbs for Mav, plus 1790 for trailer, plus 600 for passengers, 110 for cap, 256 for water, which equals, 6476 lbs, which is 466 lbs over your 6010 CGVWR.

Check the sticker on your door for exact curb weight and towing and payload capacities.

OP
OP
MostlySafeBear

MostlySafeBear

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You have two different weights to consider, the combined gross weight of the Mav and trailer, and the payload of just the Mav. If you're payload for the Mav is 1500, subtract the weight of your passengers, water, cap, and tongue weight. Based on what you provided, you have 1126 lbs, so you are OK there.

The combined gross vehicle weight rating for your set up would be 3670 lbs for Mav, plus 1790 for trailer, plus 600 for passengers, 110 for cap, 256 for water, which equals, 6476 lbs, which is 466 lbs over your 6010 CGVWR.

Check the sticker on your door for exact curb weight and towing and payload capacities.
I don't yet have a Mav, so all figures are from online references.

Thanks for the explanation. Looks like I need to find a significantly lighter trailer to pull this off.

Sponsored

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
or get the Ecoboost AWD version with 4K tow package

OP
OP
MostlySafeBear

MostlySafeBear

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
or get the Ecoboost AWD version with 4K tow package
That would defeat the purposes of wanting the hybrid Maverick, its superior MPG and very low base MSRP. For all the cash I could spend on an upgraded Maverick, I'd just make the jump to an F-150, maybe even a Lightning.

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
That would defeat the purposes of wanting the hybrid Maverick, its superior MPG and very low base MSRP. For all the cash I could spend on an upgraded Maverick, I'd just make the jump to an F-150, maybe even a Lightning.
mine is OTD $26.5k with all options as listed in my signature. An F-150 defeats your purpose of highest MPG too and are scarce (especially base model) and average $20k more than the Maverick. Lowest priced Lightining Pro starts at $40k, so that defeats budget proposition case you made. Lightning may be a long wait too... tough decisions on all of it with supply chain BS, rising interest rates, etc. Good Luck.

OP
OP
MostlySafeBear

MostlySafeBear

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
mine is OTD $26.5k with all options as listed in my signature. An F-150 defeats your purpose of highest MPG too and are scarce (especially base model) and average $20k more than the Maverick. Lowest priced Lightining Pro starts at $40k, so that defeats budget proposition case you made. Lightning may be a long wait too... tough decisions on all of it with supply chain BS, rising interest rates, etc. Good Luck.
For me, going from the $26.5k you paid OTD to a $40K base MSRP Lightning that is a full BEV with F-150 capabilities is absolutely worth it, even if it'll be rarer than hen's teeth for quite a while.

Going with a gasser for me is a complete non-starter. I'm glad it works for you.

Probity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Scab 2.7EB, 2017 CR-V
Happy Memorial Day. If you’re wanting other people’s comments / opinions on if you can “safely” tow what you’ve described, you need to give us a lot more info.
  • Have somebody with an XL hybrid like you desire tell us what their door jamb stickers (yellow and white) say. The yellow gives your actual payload (based on how the Maverick was optioned). The white gives you gross vehicle weight rating GVWR. Somebody tell us what they are.
  • Don’t confuse gross combined weight rating (GCWR) and GVWR. They are different. For your desired hybrid, the GCWR is 6010 lbs (from 2022 Ford Towing Guide). The GVWR is what the door jamb sticker says.
  • Take a look at what the 2022 Ford Towing Guide says on page 47 and make sure you understand all the terms.
Ford Maverick Answered, thank you! - Help me understand if the Maverick can tow a 1,707 pound trailer. ford

• Take a look at your trailer rating sticker data and tell us what it says. Better yet take a pic of it and post it, it might have a lot of different acronyms. You said the dry weight of the trailer is 1706 lbs., what is its gross trailer weight rating (GTWR or maybe also called GVWR). Anyway, what’s it say?
  • If you want to know what a hybrid Maverick weighed when it left the factory (which is NOT the base weight from eSource), take the GVWR door jamb number and subtract the actual door jamb payload number. The result is what the Maverick weighed when it left the factory with a full tank of gas. This is NOT the “base weight” we see in Ford literature, it’s what a unique Maverick weighs before someone slaps on all those aftermarket things.
  • You mention a lot about water with various volumes noted. Just tell us, how much water you actually planning/hoping to tow with the Maverick (will it be inside the travel trailer and/or in bed of the truck or ?).
  • Does your travel trailer have trailer brakes? I’m guessing no but you tell us. If “no”, then I’d probably say for longer distance highway trips at highway speeds you can’t tow safely, even without knowing all the exact other numbers. If you have a shorter distance controlled/know route and don’t drive above speed limits, then “maybe” safely towed.

Sponsored

Paulyz

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.churchbelltoweradventure-suspense.com
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
pretty sure the GCWR includes the weight of what you are towing (trailer fully loaded) AND everything in the tow vehicle including passengers and load in bed. If correct, you are pushing up against XL FWD 2,000lb safe ceiling just with the trailer. I could certainly be wrong about that. There's a whole long discussion thread about this if you search the forum topics that would give more correct info than my memory :unsure:
Use this to figure out very easily your towing capacity. You need to add passengers & anything in truck or trailer.
No
Tow Calculator
http://towcalculator.com
Tow Calculator.

22XLThybrid

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT hybrid (order July 21)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I mean you're likely to get pretty horrible mileage towing that amount of weight with the hybrid...or the EB. So your question should be... What would the mileage be with either drivetrain at your total towing weight. Maybe the 4K package isn't a whole lot different.... Unless you're planning on driving this as a daily driver and get the good unloaded hybrid mileage. I get about 46 on the highway with the air conditioning running and about 300 lbs of humans at 55/65 mph with the hybrid.

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Anyone that hasn't already got a Lightning Pro on order, you're looking at a 2+ year wait, OR, a big ADM if you can find one available.

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A-5, mustang
As a matter of fact, for all intents and purpose, Ford did a bait and switch. They told people for a year that they could soon buy a 40k Lightning. The problem is that on day one they were already sold out and unavailable! The very next step up is an XLT for a starting price of 55k. Now if you are not an early reservation holder, you will most likely be waiting years, yes that’s plural, YEARS for a lightning of any trim level.
This is coming from a Ford sales guy that is tired of explaining Fords dishonesty and deception to so many would be lightning pro buyers.
Why can’t these giant corporations be greedy and honest? Why must dishonesty be the cornerstone of the business model?
P.s. the original poster is pushing the limits of the 2.5l hybrid. The towing rating on that is suitable for garden trailers and such. I have the 2.0 Ecoboost coming with the 4k towing package and that would quite easily do the job.
Sponsored