Sponsored

4K Tow / Trailer Lights Not Working HELP!

belmor

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have a 2022 Maverick with the 4k tow package.

I have to take our shaved ice trailer to an event tomorrow so since I work tonight I hooked it up today. The truck has never had a trailer connected and still had the factory dielectric grease in the plug. I am using the flat light connector and the trailer is properly wired. I have NO trailer lights working whatsoever. When I go to the trailer screen in the dash it says "no trailer detected".

If the truck's headlights are on the trailer's running lights work as they should but no brake or turn signals. The trailer is wired properly and I have been using it for five years without issue with other trucks.

Any ideas on what to try or check?? Dealer isn't an option as I live on an island and the closest one is a 2+ hour drive.
Sponsored

Brian_J

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 R6, HPR Maverick AWD 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Read up on the recall for the trailer brake controller. There are other threads about it.

OP
OP

belmor

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Read up on the recall for the trailer brake controller. There are other threads about it.
My trailer doesn't have brakes and I don't have an open recall for that-could it still cause issues?

I checked the fuses and for the trailer control module where there should be a 40a fuse there was a 20 but I couldn't see well enough to know if it was blown or not. I picked up a new 40 and will try it tomorrow.

rlc3854

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, 2020 Edge
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm just going to say the same thing happened to me. I had just taken the trailer off a different tow vehicle and the lights were working before hooking to my Maverick. The next day I went through the trailer wiring and found a broken wire up inside the channel. It was the ground wire which is what the Maverick needs to detect if a trailer is connected.

OP
OP

belmor

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm just going to say the same thing happened to me. I had just taken the trailer off a different tow vehicle and the lights were working before hooking to my Maverick. The next day I went through the trailer wiring and found a broken wire up inside the channel. It was the ground wire which is what the Maverick needs to detect if a trailer is connected.
This is 100% what the issue was. I have had the trailer for five years and pulled it with five different trucks over the years-the lights have always worked.

I bought a tester and verified the truck was working properly despite the factory installing a 20a fuse where there should have been a 40 per the manual.

Had my mechanic come look at it today because I didn't have time to mess with it. One of the trailer wires was broken at a butt connector in the tongue. Worked fine last week but one of those freak things.

Thanks!
Sponsored