Johnkn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, Viper, 66 Shelby, 68.5 CJ Mustang, Pantera
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Both truck are virtually identical, XLT Lux Hybrids... My 2022 had a 'coasting' icon on the left side of the instrument cluster which illuminated when coasting down a hill. My 2023 truck does not....

Sponsored

P99Guy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Was it an actual icon in the cluster that is now missing, or just does not light up anymore?

If it just does not light up maybe 1 of our Forscan wizards can find the switch to turn it back on.

I only have a 2023 (That was ordered in 2021) so I have no comparison.

icegradner

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

According to the manual, what you are calling the coasting icon, is the hill descent control icon. Since the hybrid doesn't have hill descent control it kind of makes sense that they removed the use of that icon. I know I was a little surprised that it came on with regen when going down a hill when I got my 22' hybrid.

Lord Haw-Haw

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Both truck are virtually identical, XLT Lux Hybrids... My 2022 had a 'coasting' icon on the left side of the instrument cluster which illuminated when coasting down a hill. My 2023 truck does not....

I paid more for less too. (2023) XLT Hybrid

Samcat13

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Gerald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat '22'
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My 24 is costing way more than my22 but still cheaper than other small trucks.

Sponsored

FamousAmos

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
GAB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My 24 is costing way more than my22 but still cheaper than other small trucks.
I have a downhill drive every time I leave my apartment, and the light comes on every time, in my 2022 XL. But, it seems like it is actually applying the brake rather than just coasting. I may be wrong... Actually, I appreciate it, as the speed limit in my apartment complex is 20 (TWENTY!!!) MPH, which is nearly impossible going down hill.

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

According to the manual, what you are calling the coasting icon, is the hill descent control icon. Since the hybrid doesn't have hill descent control it kind of makes sense that they removed the use of that icon. I know I was a little surprised that it came on with regen when going down a hill when I got my 22' hybrid.
Makes sense to me to have the light come on. I'd call it hill descent control in my 2022 XLT hybrid.

What else would you call it?

I know the 4x4 has something maintain really low speed descent like at under 20 mph.

The hybrid is opposite: automatic speed control while coasting down hills at like 20 mph and above. Let me try it at 15 mph. I don't know what the actual lower limit is.

Hybrids have this: without the speedometer symbol, in bright green:

Ford Maverick Another change I noticed in my 2023 vs my 2022 Maverick Hybrid IMG_8869

So I'm calling it a different version, but still hill descent control. It's automatic and works darn well at 20 mph and above.

Last edited:

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Little nuances in the manuals.

If equipped with this icon on a button;
Ford Maverick Another change I noticed in my 2023 vs my 2022 Maverick Hybrid IMG_8869
when pressed, driver can set a speed between 2 and 20 mph. Above 20 mph the system remains active, but the driver cannot select or deselect this mode. Speed control does not work below 2 mph.

Hence I think the hybrids have this, but only the automated version. There is no button.

The slow under 20 mph version is using ABS and brake pads to control the vehicle.

The hybrid uses regenerative brakes to accomplish the same, but regenerative brakes only work well at speeds above 20 mph, when kW of power produced (drag) is substantial.

Last edited:

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Ford Maverick Another change I noticed in my 2023 vs my 2022 Maverick Hybrid IMG_8875

Well I'll be buggered.

It worked in my hybrid down to like 4 mph. This was on the downside of a freeway overpass. No % grade is posted since it's only one-third of a block long. So use your imagination. About 10% downgrade. But looking at the regen needle it has room for steeper. 🤷🏻‍♂️

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Non hybrid vehicles engines are helped to slow on a downgrade by the compression of the off throttle engine. Because the hybrid’s engine is off when there is no throttle applied there would be no compression caused slowing of the vehicle. Ford engages the engine without fuel injection and ignition so that the compression will help slow on a downgrade without using fuel; that’s when the light comes on. It’s in the owners manual.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Johnkn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have the hybrid model and just did what this person here on the forum did:
Advance Auto DieHard Gold exclusively for the Maverick Hybrid.

https://www.mavericktruckclub.com/forum/threads/hybrid-12v-battery-replacement.28921/

Increasingly would go into sleep mode (no lights inside and message on Ford App and battery and under hood terminal would be often below 12 volts and around 11.7-11.9 volts. (Had the battery cable recall done previously) Also experiencing clicking off and on more and more frequently. Has been 3 days and so far working fine and voltage staying around 12.25 under hood and at the battery and frequent clicking has stopped. A friend of mine was having the same issue with his Maverick Hybrid and we just replaced his this afternoon with the DieHard Gold. Yes should be under warranty but hearing all the complaints around BMS and battery issues decided to buy a different one.
IMG_8875.jpeg

Well I'll be buggered.

It worked in my hybrid down to like 4 mph. This was on the downside of a freeway overpass. No % grade is posted since it's only one-third of a block long. So use your imagination. About 10% downgrade. But looking at the regen needle it has room for steeper. 🤷🏻‍♂️
What you have circled is not what I am missing between my 22 and 23 trucks. In my ‘22. I would get a coasting icon on the left side (in my old memory) below the pivot point of that gauge needle. I’ve never seen it in my same XLT/LUX 23. I give absolutely cares, just an observation between exact replicate trucks 22-23.

OP
OP

Johnkn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Non hybrid vehicles engines are helped to slow on a downgrade by the compression of the off throttle engine. Because the hybrid’s engine is off when there is no throttle applied there would be no compression caused slowing of the vehicle. Ford engages the engine without fuel injection and ignition so that the compression will help slow on a downgrade without using fuel; that’s when the light comes on. It’s in the owners manual.
LOL.

Negative internet fanboy..

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Yes and no.
Partially correct.

It can slow and/or maintain in EV mode only. This was EV mode pictured above.

When the battery is "full" then power generation continues from the wheels, that generated power then goes to the generator/motor that spins up the engine without fuel. The pumping & compression slow you down. 😎

Also if regen alone (32 kW is maximum allowed) cannot maintain constant speed going down a hill, the truck can kick in engine braking even before the HV battery is "full".

Last edited:

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

What you have circled is not what I am missing between my 22 and 23 trucks. In my ‘22. I would get a coasting icon on the left side (in my old memory) below the pivot point of that gauge needle. I’ve never seen it in my same XLT/LUX 23. I give absolutely cares, just an observation between exact replicate trucks 22-23.
Ford Maverick Another change I noticed in my 2023 vs my 2022 Maverick Hybrid IMG_8876

I'm sorry you may be confused with stability control.

OP
OP

Johnkn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
IMG_8876.jpeg

I'm sorry you may be confused with stability control.

I'm not confused with anything,,, Perhaps you are,.,,.,.

That's not the coasting '22 icon that was illuminated in my '22 hybrid but does not in my '23, I don't care about it at all, just a difference in the exact 22-23 models. ...

Sponsored

Last edited: