First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT, 2016 Mustang GT,1999 Mustang V6
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Known issue affecting some Maverick hybrids. Doesn't happen on Escape Hybrids, so probably a bug they will have a TSB for soon.

Known design defect, but very easily fixed, you don't need any sound deadening. Can take care of it when swapping in better speakers.

Regarding the cubby, it seems to be a great spot for a phone mount, but there's another thread about the cubby with lots of great little ideas:
Known design defect, but very easily fixed, you don't need any sound deadening. Can take care of it when swapping in better speakers.

Regarding the cubby, it seems to be a great spot for a phone mount, but there's another thread about the cubby with lots of great little ideas:
Thanks for the info!

-Sal
Sponsored

KenJ45

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT 2.0L Ecoboost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Where did you get the carbon fiber lettering for the tailgate? When I look on Ford accessories, I don't see that option.
Check out his link to ebay, but check etsy for more choices as well.

Hoserfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camry
Thanks for the ideas. Was think of using the Ford points I get when I buy the truck but was concerned that the color options from Ford wouldn't look good with carbonized gray.

storyror

First Name
Rory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus
IMG_5703 (1).jpg

Alright so I had been in the market for an affordable daily driver for a couple of years now. I recently got a new job that required me to drive 63 mile round trip daily and in stop in go traffic. Mainly 80/20 highway/city driving. I was looking for something affordable with gas mileage obviously. Now for my review I'm going based off of what I've driven my whole life... 2 mustangs haha 1999 automatic V6 and a 2016 ford mustang premium 6 Speed manual. I had been looking at Prius and corolla hybrids for months before this truck was announced. I originally wanted to buy a 1999 ford ranger as my first vehicle but ended up with a mustang so when this maverick was announced I jumped on it! Mind you years ago when they redesigned the ranger I was very interested but the price and interior made me stay away! :( I really like the ability to be able to do everyday truck things but also be able to drive this truck comfortably in the city here in San Diego with smaller roads, stop and go traffic and parking availability.

The Truck:
Maverick ordered: Carbonized Grey XLT Hybrid, Spray in Bed Liner and Rear sliding window as upgrades selected.
Ordered : 6/12/2021
Received : 3/9/2022
Miles for far driven : 1875

Modifications so far:

Lasfit switchback turn signals
Lasfit Rear cabin lights
Lasfit Rear back up lights
Lasfit Side Marker lights
Maverick Carbon Fiber lettering
Truxedo ProX15 soft roll up cover

Wrap and Tint coming :)

Design:
I'm glad ford decided to make this look like a truck and not a 'kinda' truck like the santa cruz and older cars like the baja and such.
Exterior design is great and the truck is the perfect size. The stock headlights have been amazing although I would like a fog light function in the future.

The interior is different but its still simple and it works. I know its very basic but honestly it doesn't come off as 'cheap'. I do wish I was able to opt for the grey/black interior but eh not a big deal. The audio system has worked perfectly and yes sometimes I do have to disconnect and reconnect the phone for it to sync but that's just technology imo.

Driving:
This truck is smooth no issues and exactly what I've expected. I've never driven a hybrid other then my sis Prius so this has been a learning curve. The transistions from electric to gas have been smooth other then some sputtering when the truck has barely been turned on. I have some questions I'll ask later to see if I should have it looked at or just normal for hybrids. I've been averaging around 40-43 MPG based off what the truck is reading and I mainly just drive it in normal mode. I try to coast with coast control as much as I can and usually coast around 70-75 MPH. Been averaging above 500 miles per tank. Noise in the cabin to me is acceptable coming from driving mustangs so I don't really notice anything abnormally loud how some people have complained about.

The things that make me wonder after almost 2000 miles driven:

Breaking at very slow speeds :
From 0-5MPH in traffic breaking seems strange. It's almost like the electric motor wants to keep pushing the truck forward while you're applying pressure to break. Sometimes ill end up coming to a very aggressive stop because I feel like I have to really press the brake down to get pressure to stop the truck. I've also experienced the breaking engaging to strong like the truck thinks the wheels are spinning and it tries to lock up a bit to stop. Is this a ford thing or a hybrid thing? maybe ford engineers can clean this up.

Edit: When breaking I hear a whine or hum sound. Almost like when brakes give off that whine noise when the brakes are getting worn but very faint. Is this normal???

Sound system: Yeah I know the truck is a sub $23k vehicle. I think the system is adequate and the CarPlay integration is great and it has performed as expected. As mentioned above I have to unplug and plug sometimes for system to sync but its no big deal. The speakers are not great and at higher levels the sound sucks. I do have some rattling in the door panel on the passenger side door which is kind of annoying. I will be addressing this later with some sound deadening once I upgrade the speakers and add a hideaway sub.

Engine sputter/shake: Now I've only noticed a rough transition from Electric to Engine or vice versa when the vehicle has been started and engine is cold. One morning within 5 minutes of the truck being driven with the heater on I noticed very noticeable engine shake when the truck turned off the engine and the Electric engaged coming to a stop. It was very concerning to me but I guess this is normal as the truck had barely turned on and not warmed up. Any other hybrid owners experienced this?

Upon Edit: I forgot some things I wanted to address.

Edit: Auditable hum/buzz coming through the speakers or just in general noise when the truck is on inside the cabin.
It's not a deal breaker but it's kind of loud? it's just like feedback through the speakers I think from the electrical systems on board. I don't know... any other hybrid owners chime in?

A Pillar blind spot - It's a pretty big blind spot if you ask me, just takes some time to get used too. I've noticed there has been some occasions where there has been a vehicle in that area when I was making a turn so just a heads up.

The cubby next to the stereo: Useless. I'm sure if this truck was designed and built in the non- covid era we would have gotten a very nice screen there that fit the whole area. With that being said, I'm okay with the stereo size as is but I wish they would have just centered it and not given you that weird cubby. I'm guessing in the future there will be an option for the upgraded stereo screen size.

No AWD option for Hybrid: I would have liked this option although I know it would be at the cost of the MPG. I'm sure for this initial launch ford really wanted to boast that MPG rating and they had to hit it with this initial launch. I'm interested to see what ford does with this truck in the future with options as far as models with 'High performance' ( rattler/raptor/tremor/ST etc.), Hydbrid AWD, and All Electric (AWD) option like the Lightning coming

Nit picks lol : window motors are freaking slow haha.
So many 'ok' buttons pressed to get going. 'Ready to drive' ok,' parking break off' ok. can some of this be modified with the fordscan? oh and kinda interesting that ford decided to not have the truck start up in eco mode automatically. Having to toggle the driving mode a couple of times to access this is annoying and then hit 'ok' again lol.

These are just little things, I guess it's 1st world problems. With all this being said I love this truck and it has 100% delivered on what I thought it would be. Waiting for the banks to open so my Dad can order his!

IMG_5046.jpg

8CA92E5A-1ECD-4421-92BF-223EE5E1E10B.jpg
IMG_5594 (1).jpg
IMG_5595 (1).jpg
IMG_5697.jpg
72E75303-6A2A-4B1B-94E8-46EDF2E4AD8A.JPG

IMG_5709.jpg

IMG_5788.jpg

IMG_5588 (1).jpg

IMG_5688.jpg

IMG_5596 (1).jpg

960923E7-53E9-4B81-9D51-DE13B0089049.jpg

5268CACB-9A64-4668-B837-708F45016879.jpg

EF2CBCDF-0B52-4B17-8485-8C0D7D56E047.jpg
I agree about the pillar being huge! lol. MAke the mistake once and get that scare, always checking before committing to the turn/merge

Sponsored

Mojorayy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat Lux
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
No it’s not that noise, I know what you're talking about. It’s a buzz like in the inside cabin as the truck is in the on position. Here is two videos, turn up the volume all the way up.

At least your front passenger door speaker does not scream at you at nearly full volume every time you unlock and open your doors... This happens every few days, for a few days. Goes away and comes back.

Have a service appointment scheduled, but I am sure it will not be doing it once I can finally take it in at the first available appointment two weeks from now. Then it will start again the day after.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/uXnZXrfhRtUV7To8A

Last edited:

Area51BS

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Not in agreement on the bigger screen. Bronco Sport uses the same size. I think they just wanted to make the pod wider because it would look worse narrow.
EB also seems to push while coming to a stop as well. No big deal. Just a new vehicle you have to develop feel for.
It has taken getting used to being slow to get going with radio connection, brake off switch, auto shut off turn off and the dial shifter. Getting used to it. It’s just way different than last vehicle.

bighap

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
At least your front passenger door speaker does not scream at you at nearly full volume every time you unlock and open your doors... This happens every few days, for a few days. Goes away and comes back.

Have a service appointment scheduled, but I am sure it will not be doing it once I can finally take it in at the first available appointment two weeks from now. Then it will start again the day after.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/uXnZXrfhRtUV7To8A
It sounds like you have a pair of ducks in your cab.

boatman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger, Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
IMG_5703 (1).jpg

Alright so I had been in the market for an affordable daily driver for a couple of years now. I recently got a new job that required me to drive 63 mile round trip daily and in stop in go traffic. Mainly 80/20 highway/city driving. I was looking for something affordable with gas mileage obviously. Now for my review I'm going based off of what I've driven my whole life... 2 mustangs haha 1999 automatic V6 and a 2016 ford mustang premium 6 Speed manual. I had been looking at Prius and corolla hybrids for months before this truck was announced. I originally wanted to buy a 1999 ford ranger as my first vehicle but ended up with a mustang so when this maverick was announced I jumped on it! Mind you years ago when they redesigned the ranger I was very interested but the price and interior made me stay away! :( I really like the ability to be able to do everyday truck things but also be able to drive this truck comfortably in the city here in San Diego with smaller roads, stop and go traffic and parking availability.

The Truck:
Maverick ordered: Carbonized Grey XLT Hybrid, Spray in Bed Liner and Rear sliding window as upgrades selected.
Ordered : 6/12/2021
Received : 3/9/2022
Miles for far driven : 1875

Modifications so far:

Lasfit switchback turn signals
Lasfit Rear cabin lights
Lasfit Rear back up lights
Lasfit Side Marker lights
Maverick Carbon Fiber lettering
Truxedo ProX15 soft roll up cover

Wrap and Tint coming :)

Design:
I'm glad ford decided to make this look like a truck and not a 'kinda' truck like the santa cruz and older cars like the baja and such.
Exterior design is great and the truck is the perfect size. The stock headlights have been amazing although I would like a fog light function in the future.

The interior is different but its still simple and it works. I know its very basic but honestly it doesn't come off as 'cheap'. I do wish I was able to opt for the grey/black interior but eh not a big deal. The audio system has worked perfectly and yes sometimes I do have to disconnect and reconnect the phone for it to sync but that's just technology imo.

Driving:
This truck is smooth no issues and exactly what I've expected. I've never driven a hybrid other then my sis Prius so this has been a learning curve. The transistions from electric to gas have been smooth other then some sputtering when the truck has barely been turned on. I have some questions I'll ask later to see if I should have it looked at or just normal for hybrids. I've been averaging around 40-43 MPG based off what the truck is reading and I mainly just drive it in normal mode. I try to coast with coast control as much as I can and usually coast around 70-75 MPH. Been averaging above 500 miles per tank. Noise in the cabin to me is acceptable coming from driving mustangs so I don't really notice anything abnormally loud how some people have complained about.

The things that make me wonder after almost 2000 miles driven:

Breaking at very slow speeds :
From 0-5MPH in traffic breaking seems strange. It's almost like the electric motor wants to keep pushing the truck forward while you're applying pressure to break. Sometimes ill end up coming to a very aggressive stop because I feel like I have to really press the brake down to get pressure to stop the truck. I've also experienced the breaking engaging to strong like the truck thinks the wheels are spinning and it tries to lock up a bit to stop. Is this a ford thing or a hybrid thing? maybe ford engineers can clean this up.

Edit: When breaking I hear a whine or hum sound. Almost like when brakes give off that whine noise when the brakes are getting worn but very faint. Is this normal???

Sound system: Yeah I know the truck is a sub $23k vehicle. I think the system is adequate and the CarPlay integration is great and it has performed as expected. As mentioned above I have to unplug and plug sometimes for system to sync but its no big deal. The speakers are not great and at higher levels the sound sucks. I do have some rattling in the door panel on the passenger side door which is kind of annoying. I will be addressing this later with some sound deadening once I upgrade the speakers and add a hideaway sub.

Engine sputter/shake: Now I've only noticed a rough transition from Electric to Engine or vice versa when the vehicle has been started and engine is cold. One morning within 5 minutes of the truck being driven with the heater on I noticed very noticeable engine shake when the truck turned off the engine and the Electric engaged coming to a stop. It was very concerning to me but I guess this is normal as the truck had barely turned on and not warmed up. Any other hybrid owners experienced this?

Upon Edit: I forgot some things I wanted to address.

Edit: Auditable hum/buzz coming through the speakers or just in general noise when the truck is on inside the cabin.
It's not a deal breaker but it's kind of loud? it's just like feedback through the speakers I think from the electrical systems on board. I don't know... any other hybrid owners chime in?

Video of sound here later on I posted it. https://www.mavericktruckclub.com/f...etailed-owner-review-so-far.13751/post-272973

A Pillar blind spot - It's a pretty big blind spot if you ask me, just takes some time to get used too. I've noticed there has been some occasions where there has been a vehicle in that area when I was making a turn so just a heads up.

The cubby next to the stereo: Useless. I'm sure if this truck was designed and built in the non- covid era we would have gotten a very nice screen there that fit the whole area. With that being said, I'm okay with the stereo size as is but I wish they would have just centered it and not given you that weird cubby. I'm guessing in the future there will be an option for the upgraded stereo screen size.

No AWD option for Hybrid: I would have liked this option although I know it would be at the cost of the MPG. I'm sure for this initial launch ford really wanted to boast that MPG rating and they had to hit it with this initial launch. I'm interested to see what ford does with this truck in the future with options as far as models with 'High performance' ( rattler/raptor/tremor/ST etc.), Hydbrid AWD, and All Electric (AWD) option like the Lightning coming

Nit picks lol : window motors are freaking slow haha.
So many 'ok' buttons pressed to get going. 'Ready to drive' ok,' parking break off' ok. can some of this be modified with the fordscan? oh and kinda interesting that ford decided to not have the truck start up in eco mode automatically. Having to toggle the driving mode a couple of times to access this is annoying and then hit 'ok' again lol.

These are just little things, I guess it's 1st world problems. With all this being said I love this truck and it has 100% delivered on what I thought it would be. Waiting for the banks to open so my Dad can order his!

IMG_5046.jpg

8CA92E5A-1ECD-4421-92BF-223EE5E1E10B.jpg
IMG_5594 (1).jpg
IMG_5595 (1).jpg
IMG_5697.jpg
72E75303-6A2A-4B1B-94E8-46EDF2E4AD8A.JPG

IMG_5709.jpg

IMG_5788.jpg

IMG_5588 (1).jpg

IMG_5688.jpg

IMG_5596 (1).jpg

960923E7-53E9-4B81-9D51-DE13B0089049.jpg

5268CACB-9A64-4668-B837-708F45016879.jpg

EF2CBCDF-0B52-4B17-8485-8C0D7D56E047.jpg
Thanks for the SHOW!

socaljohn

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I upgraded the front speakers with some Kicker KS front speakers a Kicker Key Amp and had them add dynamat on the front doors. There was also some device that was added to get that engine hum off the speakers and I am completely happy with the final results. I will try and get the name of it, but it is designed to eliminate that feedback through the headunit.

Sponsored

jwiedle24

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat w/Luxury Pkg
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have noticed the lurching stops at slow speeds as well. It feels like the electric motor has been programed to provide the "creep forward" effect you get from a gas engine, but the creep is far too aggressive/fast. If you try to apply brakes, the vehicle tries to regen, but quickly realizes (or the drive realizes) regen is not enough to slow the Maverick adequately and quickly engages the mechanical brakes, producing a very sudden stop.

This is probably my biggest issue with the truck and feels like a bit of a safety issue. Iv had to slam the brakes a few times in stop and go traffic, and came far closer than I like to an accident.
I’ve noticed this as well. Going through a drive-thru has been bad a few times. When trying to creep up in line it takes off then doesn’t brake lightly—slams you to a stop like braking after a car wash.

Also notice the engine sputter a couple of times. Makes you think you’re driving over rumble strips on the side of a highway or coming up to a stop sign/light that has the warning strips.

WesM

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I’ve noticed this as well. Going through a drive-thru has been bad a few times. When trying to creep up in line it takes off then doesn’t brake lightly—slams you to a stop like braking after a car wash.

Also notice the engine sputter a couple of times. Makes you think you’re driving over rumble strips on the side of a highway or coming up to a stop sign/light that has the warning strips.
I had been using normal mode, but have recently started using eco mode and the braking is MUCH smoother at slower speeds. I wish they would use the braking profile they have for eco mode under 10MPH with the normal mode too.

NotAnonymous

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Check out his link to ebay, but check etsy for more choices as well.
Indeed - I found my letters on Etsy though it still hasn't been warm enough here on a consistent basis to apply them.

OP
OP
Gr3y

Gr3y

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT, 2016 Mustang GT,1999 Mustang V6
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Jr3y, how does that hybrid do on hills?
Well, there aren't many hills in SD however I drive to and from Palm Springs a lot and go up and down the 74 a lot. The truck feels good, not weak when going up the mountain road and honestly, I drove it like my mustang lol felt good with sufficient power.

-Sal
Sponsored