Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Do I need closed cell foam?
You are making feel like I do
So the main three components of sound deadening are, Deadener this is used to lower the resonance of the metal panel. Closed cell foam, which is used to absorb any sound waves that are traveling through the panel. And finally Mass loaded vinyl, which is used to block sound.

I will be using deadener and closed cell foam on the floors, rear cab, doors and roof. I will probably use closed cell foam alone on the back of plastic panels that cover area's where I cannot put deadener.

If I do MLV it will be on the floor, but I have not decided yet.

This is the foam I bought. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BNBVTG5S?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

Thagh0st

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
xlt maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So the main three components of sound deadening are, Deadener this is used to lower the resonance of the metal panel. Closed cell foam, which is used to absorb any sound waves that are traveling through the panel. And finally Mass loaded vinyl, which is used to block sound.

I will be using deadener and closed cell foam on the floors, rear cab, doors and roof. I will probably use closed cell foam alone on the back of plastic panels that cover area's where I cannot put deadener.

If I do MLV it will be on the floor, but I have not decided yet.

This is the foam I bought. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BNBVTG5S?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1
CCF doesn't absorb any sound, it deflects it if anything, it should be used either with a barrier or for just decoupling purposes.
Open cell foam is better at absorbing sounds but it needs to be pretty thick to do anything, and it would need to go through a hydrophobic process as well.

You would be better for with some thinsulate for sound absorbing along with decoupling if that is your main goal. And with the amount space definitely get some sm400l.

Just wanted to give a heads up on that, I love the build, and I'm a fan of the digital designs dsp, I've been messing with one for a few months now.

OP
OP
All4spl

All4spl

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
CCF doesn't absorb any sound, it deflects it if anything, it should be used either with a barrier or for just decoupling purposes.
Open cell foam is better at absorbing sounds but it needs to be pretty thick to do anything, and it would need to go through a hydrophobic process as well.

You would be better for with some thinsulate for sound absorbing along with decoupling if that is your main goal. And with the amount space definitely get some sm400l.

Just wanted to give a heads up on that, I love the build, and I'm a fan of the digital designs dsp, I've been messing with one for a few months now.
I should have been more clear and stated closed cell is for decoupling of sound you are correct. However the average person may not understand that term 100%.

The DD Dsp is impressive, however one issue I have is that it has a specific noise floor, at least while using a factory headunit. Folks with an aftermarket headunit don't seem to have this issue, I am going to try to tune it out with the LC2i and gains but for now its just something I live with as the amps/dsp/lc2i are all temp mounted once I get them a bit more where I want em Ill do a long test and tune session and hopefully get rid of most of that noise floor.

Thagh0st

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
xlt maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I should have been more clear and stated closed cell is for decoupling of sound you are correct. However the average person may not understand that term 100%.

The DD Dsp is impressive, however one issue I have is that it has a specific noise floor, at least while using a factory headunit. Folks with an aftermarket headunit don't seem to have this issue, I am going to try to tune it out with the LC2i and gains but for now its just something I live with as the amps/dsp/lc2i are all temp mounted once I get them a bit more where I want em Ill do a long test and tune session and hopefully get rid of most of that noise floor.
I definitely think you'll be able to get rid of that noise floor when you do the final install.

Your gonna have to decouple everything with that much low end your gonna with those beast 😳 I'm excited to see the build go on, definitely post pictures of everything!

Sponsored

OP
OP
All4spl

All4spl

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Well got the rear doors done with about 85% coverage in deadener and closed cell foam, only took photos of one side but they are the same so.

Ford Maverick ALL4SPL's 23 Cactus Gray Maverick Build Log IMG_0471.JPG

Ford Maverick ALL4SPL's 23 Cactus Gray Maverick Build Log IMG_0472.JPG

Ford Maverick ALL4SPL's 23 Cactus Gray Maverick Build Log IMG_0474.JPG

I decided to leave the inner skin of the door alone due to clearance with adding deadener and foam would be pretty difficult to get the door panel back on. However if I need more on it I can always go back and add more.

OP
OP
All4spl

All4spl

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
And I have ordered 40sq ft of 1lb MLV should be enough for the back wall of the cab and the floor.

Thagh0st

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
xlt maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
And I have ordered 40sq ft of 1lb MLV should be enough for the back wall of the cab and the floor.
I'm really excited for that, I'll definitely be watching especially for the floors as I'll be doing a barrier on mine sometime in the summer.
Are planning to do anything to the roof or pillars?

OP
OP
All4spl

All4spl

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm really excited for that, I'll definitely be watching especially for the floors as I'll be doing a barrier on mine sometime in the summer.
Are planning to do anything to the roof or pillars?
No I am going to basically sheet the whole back wall, the area below that and the cubby area. For the floor ill probably do only the main flat areas. I do not think there is enough clearance for deadener, closed cell foam and MLV for the roof under the headliner.

Sponsored

Thagh0st

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
xlt maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
No I am going to basically sheet the whole back wall, the area below that and the cubby area. For the floor ill probably do only the main flat areas. I do not think there is enough clearance for deadener, closed cell foam and MLV for the roof under the headliner.
My biggest recommendation is fill the bar that the latches are connected to with some type of insulation, it makes a huge difference, even with deadener and everything, make it feel solid

OP
OP
All4spl

All4spl

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
3 hours later the driver door is done, I am going to wait till tomorrow to do the passenger door.

Ford Maverick ALL4SPL's 23 Cactus Gray Maverick Build Log IMG_0477.JPG

Ford Maverick ALL4SPL's 23 Cactus Gray Maverick Build Log IMG_0479.JPG

Ford Maverick ALL4SPL's 23 Cactus Gray Maverick Build Log IMG_0480.JPG

skadizzle

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat BAP
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Im surprised l still haven't see you around town yet. I'm over in the Altamonte area so close by. If you see an Atlas Blue with the BAP it's probably me.

OP
OP
All4spl

All4spl

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Im surprised l still haven't see you around town yet. I'm over in the Altamonte area so close by. If you see an Atlas Blue with the BAP it's probably me.
Yeah I haven't been out much other than to work and back from Wekiva where I live, we usually take the wifes Jeep Gladiator when we go run errands.

OP
OP
All4spl

All4spl

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yeah so I beat myself up mentally for not manning up and doing both front doors, well now the passenger is done.
Sponsored