Sponsored

Add 2023 Navigation version to a 2022 Lariat Lux?

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Correct on the traffic data on the Garmin device. The Garmin I use does not have that option because I don't live in a metro area anymore. I do take it inside and do downloads to update my maps but that's not an immediate requirement. I think it is months between updates. Basically, Garmin is the simplest way for navigation and also the cheapest.
How so? How is it simpler than plugging in my phone when I get in the car, then Waze automatically pops up and music starts playing? Audio is integrated so it'll fade the music if announcements are needed (generally keep those off), neither is trying to play over the other. Voice commands work through the car's microphone, toggled by the steering wheel button. The phone gets plugged in anyway for charging.

Added benefit of using Android Auto: navigation guidance shows up on my instrument cluster. Though, I do have the 12.3" full digital cluster of an Escape, don't believe any Maverick comes with that functionality from the factory.

If I'm looking up directions before getting in the car and start navigation, it seamlessly continues on the touchscreen built into the car.

No need to fuss with map updates means they're always kept up-to-date.

Even on T-Mobile, the only time a lack of internet access has ever been a concern was a cross-country road trip 8 years ago. Their network has improved a lot since then, so between that and having HERE WeGo as a backup with the entire USA available offline. That sure seems like way less hassle than a standalone device that doesn't integrate into the vehicle, and needs to be stashed away when parked.

Then we get back to the point of this thread. Built-in Sync 3 navigation is even less hassle as you simply get in the car and tell it where you want to go. Map updates do require an added cost over time, I do believe.

Sync 4 has "connected" navigation so it's able to use the built-in 4G modem to pull down map data. There's a subscription charge for that.

Some have already retrofitted Sync 4 8" into their Maverick, as well as Sync 3 with navigation, so it should definitely be possible. At what expense and if it's worth it? That's up to the individual to decide.
Sponsored

Last edited:

aspect

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT Lux FX4 2.0 4k
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Downloading offline maps to Google Maps takes pressing 3 buttons. Surely that's easier than installing a whole standalone navigation system.

I get it if you are driving between Panama and Ecuador or something, but then you probably don't want a basic Garmin either.

Ford Maverick Add 2023 Navigation version to a 2022 Lariat Lux? Screenshot_20221130-123007

commadorebob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer Limited; 2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
For those who don't want to give Google yet another tracking source, there are other mapping apps on the various app stores. They also offer downloadable apps and most have Apple Play/Android Auto integration. There are ad-supported free versions and subscription versions. I personally use Sygic when I know I'm going to be in an area where internet access is nonexistent.

JohnHartshorn

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Toyota Sienna XSE - Mav Hybrid XLT LUX Area 51
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Google maps require internet access, Garmin does not. It gets its info direct from the satellites.
Not necessarily. You can load off-line maps into Google at home. You won't have traffic updates, but you will still have navigation. I do this all the time when I know I'll be going in an area that I may not have good cell phone data coverage.