First Name
Person
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' HD Road Glide, 22’ Sporster S
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The Standard is quite an impressive offering! For my needs, that's plenty.
+1 My 2018 Mustang has sync 3 with navigation.

I plug in my iPhone and use waze for my navigation and YouTube for my music. It’s been fine for me for the last 3 years.

I think I used the factory navigation a few times when I first got it. I never would of opted for it but it came with the car.

mamboman777

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Focus, 2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
+1 My 2018 Mustang has sync 3 with navigation.

I plug in my iPhone and use waze for my navigation and YouTube for my music. It’s been fine for me for the last 3 years.

I think I used the factory navigation a few times when I first got it. I never would of opted for it but it came with the car.
I've used Android auto in a rental before and I think it's great.

Sponsored

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HCH2, Hybrid XLT on order
I've used Android auto in a rental before and I think it's great.
There was a comment on one of the Ford videos that said they may push out more features remotely, no hint to what they were though,

mamboman777

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
There was a comment on one of the Ford videos that said they may push out more features remotely, no hint to what they were though,
Yeah.... This is why I may turn off connected vehicle entirely. I don't like this idea much, for a car. Maybe wireless Android auto is one of them? My crystal ball isn't able to pick up onwhat Ford is thinking.

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah.... This is why I may turn off connected vehicle entirely. I don't like this idea much, for a car. Maybe wireless Android auto is one of them? My crystal ball isn't able to pick up onwhat Ford is thinking.
I still think installing a physical disconnect may be the way to go, probably have to add a resistor to simulate the antenna response. We will find out if any acks need to be supplied if so I bet they could be simulated by a Pi. May take me a while though unless someone has already done it on other systems just because my next 6 months is slammed with other responsibilities.

mamboman777

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I still think installing a physical disconnect may be the way to go, probably have to add a resistor to simulate the antenna response. We will find out if any acks need to be supplied if so I bet they could be simulated by a Pi. May take me a while though unless someone has already done it on other systems just because my next 6 months is slammed with other responsibilities.
I'm hoping (but doubtful) for an accessible sim card.

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm hoping (but doubtful) for an accessible sim card.
Since multiple providers are possible, someone suggested mint was a possibility over ATT, I still think it’s an esim, but if you are right, that would be awesome. Easy to remove and disconnect.

Sponsored

mamboman777

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Since multiple providers are possible, someone suggested mint was a possibility over ATT, I still think it’s an esim, but if you are right, that would be awesome. Easy to remove and disconnect.
What OS do you think is running under the hood? I wish they took the same hackable approach with the tech today they do with the bed. So, with the RPI... Is there a way to make that interface with the actual Ford system?

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What OS do you think is running under the hood? I wish they took the same hackable approach with the tech today they do with the bed. So, with the RPI... Is there a way to make that interface with the actual Ford system?
It’s going to depend on what it’s running on. I highly doubt it is a *nix system probably a picbasic implementation running on an RTOS and on encrypted firmware maybe with a TPM2 chip. But the mod people at least have the knowledge to fake it, so someone knows, it’s just a matter of research, confirmation and finding the jtag interface

some inductive taps should be enough to determine the crypto alg with some analysis, after that it will be digging out the key, which I assume will be a public/private asymmetric implementation similar to php/gpg but with a rolling master private key so they can force updates via multicast

mamboman777

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It’s going to depend on what it’s running on. I highly doubt it is a *nix system probably a picbasic implementation running on an RTOS and on encrypted firmware maybe with a TPM2 chip. But the mod people at least have the knowledge to fake it, so someone knows, it’s just a matter of research, confirmation and finding the jtag interface

some inductive taps should be enough to determine the crypto alg with some analysis, after that it will be digging out the key, which I assume will be a public/private asymmetric implementation similar to php/gpg but with a rolling master private key so they can force updates via multicast
Yeah... I'm in over my head with most of those acronyms.

I remember when I first got my focus thinking "sync by Microsoft" was not a good thing. 🤷‍♂️ It's been fine, though.

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah... I'm in over my head with most of those acronyms.

I remember when I first got my focus thinking "sync by Microsoft" was not a good thing. 🤷‍♂️ It's been fine, though.
*nix is any of the Unix systems including BSD, Spark, older MacOS 10, some people also include Linux. None of them are RTOSs though (real time operating systems)

asymmetric encryption means they can encrypt (in this case) with their private key and your public key, and you, and theoretically only you, can decrypt it with your private key and their public key (combined) thus verifying the sender and recipient.

TPM2 is a cryptographic processing and ID chip which usually contains your private and public keys.

php is a typo it should have been pgp which stands for pretty good protection a way of using the above system of keys most often to encrypt email and small files, gpg is the open source implementation of pgp.

silly note Mark and I were the maintainers of PHP for OSX until Apple hired him to do it internally. Entropy.ch was the support domain I went by Hungus then(the zork creature meaning large and unwieldy not Karl hungus from the big Lebowski as most assume)When Mark went to Apple I went back to teaching MCSE classes and x500 implementation (long distance secured communication for exchange) thus my understanding of these kinds of systems.

that may clear up some things, or cause more confusion, if the latter, sorry.

mamboman777

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
*nix is any of the Unix systems including BSD, Spark, older MacOS 10, some people also include Linux. None of them are RTOSs though (real time operating systems)

asymmetric encryption means they can encrypt (in this case) with their private key and your public key, and you, and theoretically only you, can decrypt it with your private key and their public key (combined) thus verifying the sender and recipient.

TPM2 is a cryptographic processing and ID chip which usually contains your private and public keys.

php is a typo it should have been pgp which stands for pretty good protection a way of using the above system of keys most often to encrypt email and small files, gpg is the open source implementation of pgp.

silly note Mark and I were the maintainers of PHP for OSX until Apple hired him to do it internally. Entropy.ch was the support domain I went by Hungus then(the zork creature meaning large and unwieldy not Karl hungus from the big Lebowski as most assume)When Mark went to Apple I went back to teaching MCSE classes and x500 implementation (long distance secured communication for exchange) thus my understanding of these kinds of systems.

that may clear up some things, or cause more confusion, if the latter, sorry.
Quite all right. I'm an amateur Linux enthusiast, but I don't really code. I appreciate the explanations, though.
Sponsored