Sponsored

235/70R17 (or 75) vs 245/65R17 why has no one on the forum gone with the 235/70?

Big Kahuna

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So what am I missing? Why has no one done a 235/70R17? Seems like there might be some advantages.

I've yet to see anyone on the forum post pictures of a 235/70R17 tire on a Maverick. I'm looking for a more aggressive tire that would be good in the snow.

It seems like a 235/70R17 might fit without a lift and likely wouldn't rub, would offer more ground clearance than a 245/65, would give less rolling resistance and could be up to 6 pounds lighter for better MPG and a little smoother ride?

Wrangler Workhorse AT 235/70R17 Diameter 30" Width 9.4" 697 Revolutions per mile / 33lbs

Falken Wildpeak AT3W 245/65R17 Diameter 29.5" Width 9.7" 719 Revolutions per mile / 39lbs

My stock tire - Pirelli Scorpion AT + 225/65R17 Diameter 28.5" Width 8.9" 729 Revolutions per mile / 31 lbs
Sponsored

Last edited:

bgn

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

How did you find the weight of the Pirelli? Was not able to find that info on their site.

Would also be interested in more sidewall vs width.

OP
OP
Big Kahuna

Big Kahuna

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Short answer; not as many options in that size.
ok I thought that might be the case as the Ko2 and wildpeak at3s aren’t offered in that size.

I know someone said the 255/65r17 fits without a lift just barely and that’s a 30.05 diameter tire with 10” width so I figure a 30” with 9.4” width would work fine.

I hate to be the first one to try it but I might have to go for it. Those wrangler workhorse tires look ok.

CLH917

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
ok I thought that might be the case as the Ko2 and wildpeak at3s aren’t offered in that size.

I know someone said the 255/65r17 fits without a lift just barely and that’s a 30.05 diameter tire with 10” width so I figure a 30” with 9.4” width would work fine.

I hate to be the first one to try it but I might have to go for it. Those wrangler workhorse tires look ok.
As @JJC stated, the options are just very limited. I went with the Toyo Open Country’s in 245/70 with tire weight playing a large factor in my decision. They’re only 35lbs in this size and do not rub or require any trimming or cutting.

OP
OP
Big Kahuna

Big Kahuna

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I like the Workhorse as well. The 235 width should likely perform better than a 255 in snow. It also weighs quite a bit less than most 255/65r17 and the 235 width would likely have far less MPG impact than 255. I say give it shot. I think it will fit without a lift just fine (y)
yeah, here in the NW a narrower tire can be better for the types of snow, slush, and ice we get.
I just wish there were more reviews on those wrangler workhorse ATs but the 235/70R17 seems like the best fit for me for extra clearance without having to add as much width and rolling resistance. I don’t want to add a lift so hopefully they won’t rub but they are slightly smaller than the 255/65R17 that one member put on and he has no rubbing issues so they should be fine.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Big Kahuna

Big Kahuna

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Also found these ATs from Sumitomo that had good reviews. Shows 7 lbs heavier than the Wrangler Workhorse.

https://m.tirerack.com/survey/SurveyComments.jsp?tireMake=Sumitomo&tireModel=Encounter+AT

The Tirerack review of the wrangler workhorse ATs in rain wasn’t great.

Also found that Discount Tire has the Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S in a 235/70R17 - not as agressive looking as the Wrangler Workhorse but might be a better tire overall even though it's a little more pricey - however also coming in at 37/38lbs. Has the 3 snowflake rating though and is a very highly rated tire.

https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/cooper-discoverer-at3-4s/p/36846

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...odel=Discoverer+AT3+4S&partnum=37TR7DA4SOWLXL

I've been doing a lot of research and the reviews on the Copper Discoverers AT3 4S are really good and they have a 65K warranty. They don't look quite as meaty as the other tires but I'm ok with that, I think going to this route via Discount Tire. Seems like this might be the safest bet in the 235/70R17 size.

Last edited:

J.C.23

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
yeah, here in the NW a narrower tire can be better for the types of snow, slush, and ice we get.
I just wish there were more reviews on those wrangler workhorse ATs but the 235/70R17 seems like the best fit for me for extra clearance without having to add as much width and rolling resistance. I don’t want to add a lift so hopefully they won’t rub but they are slightly smaller than the 255/65R17 that one member put on and he has no rubbing issues so they should be fine.
I have these tires on my truck. They fit no problem. I had the same line of thinking. Less rolling resistance and they only weigh like 33lbs or something like that. They only actually measure a hair over 29 inches in real life though if that matters to you

OP
OP
Big Kahuna

Big Kahuna

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have these tires on my truck. They fit no problem. I had the same line of thinking. Less rolling resistance and they only weigh like 33lbs or something like that. They only actually measure a hair over 29 inches in real life though if that matters to you
You have the Wranglers? What do you think? I couldn’t find any good reviews and was leaning towards the cooper discoverers. The tire rack wet test worried me a little as I live in rain central.

Would love to see pictures of your 235/70R17s and the admin can add them to the aftermarket tire thread.

Last edited:

J.C.23

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You have the Wranglers? What do you think? I couldn’t find any good reviews and was leaning towards the cooper discoverers. The tire rack wet test worried me a little as I live in rain central.

Would love to see pictures of your 235/70R17s and the admin can add them to the aftermarket tire thread.
Ya I have the wrangler workhorse. I think they’re pretty new. Looks like they’re replacing the trail runner ats if I had to guess. Since those are sold out everywhere I looked. I like them so far. I think they’re perfect for what the maverick is and I’ll be doing with it. Ride pretty good for an xl tire. Did good in the little bit of rain we’ve had since I got them but we’ll see next monsoon season. I’ve only bought bfg and nitro tires before these so have no personal experience with coopers but had customers that swore by them when I used to work in a tire shop.

I’ll try and grab a pic when I get a chance.

OP
OP
Big Kahuna

Big Kahuna

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ya I have the wrangler workhorse. I think they’re pretty new. Looks like they’re replacing the trail runner ats if I had to guess. Since those are sold out everywhere I looked. I like them so far. I think they’re perfect for what the maverick is and I’ll be doing with it. Ride pretty good for an xl tire. Did good in the little bit of rain we’ve had since I got them but we’ll see next monsoon season. I’ve only bought bfg and nitro tires before these so have no personal experience with coopers but had customers that swore by them when I used to work in a tire shop.

I’ll try and grab a pic when I get a chance.
Much appreciated! The Coopers are a little more accessible as they’re sold through Discount Tire whereas the Workhorse tires I’d have to order. I really like that the workhorse are lighter though and they look pretty badass :)

Sponsored

J.C.23

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Much appreciated! The Coopers are a little more accessible as they’re sold through Discount Tire whereas the Workhorse tires I’d have to order. I really like that the workhorse are lighter though and they look pretty badass :)
I ordered through Goodyears website. They have a list of shops when you order and I had one right down the road from me and they had them in stock. And they had 100$ rebate if you get their credit card so figured what the hell.

-not trying to advertise for Goodyear, just throwing out options. I worked for discount for years they’re usually the way I go too.

OP
OP
Big Kahuna

Big Kahuna

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Few pics and the clearance up front for you.

1623F762-52E4-4AF9-9974-4762DAFB2DC9.jpeg

1ED05601-19FE-4FD2-8D6E-50DCBCC25966.jpeg

53F7B325-017E-44B6-918B-55C4150A157A.jpeg

42C073A2-320E-41D9-9350-F219866D8B69.jpeg

74D8A058-CAA0-44EC-B96C-E84AF77C5DA7.jpeg
Wow those look really good. Now I’m really confused as to which ones I should get :) Thank you for the pics and info. Helpful to know there are two option in that size that look pretty good on this truck!

Now to weigh the pros and cons and place an order :)

Goodyear or Coopers…

Naranjita

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
NAH-RON-EE-TAH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I just went for a small tire size increase with 235/65-17. But the AT selection is definitely less in that tire size. No KO2's. But I settled on the MAXXIS RAZR AT, and it's available in that size. Should be here Thursday!

sdy284

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT 2.0 FWD - Alto Blue
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
How did you find the weight of the Pirelli? Was not able to find that info on their site.

Would also be interested in more sidewall vs width.
tire rack has pretty much all the specs on tires
Sponsored

Reactions: bgn