First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm having a hard time understanding the Frontal Area chart. Looks like my Hybrid (without Tow Package) is limited to 20 sq ft frontal area. But the note says this means "Base vehicle frontal area." What does that mean? What is the "base vehicle"?

It seems likely that they are talking about frontal area of the trailer -- not the whole enchilada -- because the Maverick itself has a frontal area of about 30 sq ft. Even so, that would limit me to a trailer about 7 feet wide and 3 feet tall -- basically a motorcycle trailer or a pop-up tent trailer. That's ok with me, but it really limits the hybrid (because no tow package available).
I am taking the 20 sq foot to be the ADDITIONAL footage that can be added to the 30 sq feet of the maverick. 🤞
Sponsored

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I am taking the 20 sq foot to be the ADDITIONAL footage that can be added to the 30 sq feet of the maverick. 🤞
Ok, so I actually read where the official SQ footage area of maverick is 20 SQ feet not 30. Will have to go verify other. Thought = if I mount a six foot piece of a cessna's wing the bottom of which is at the height +/- a few inches of the roof of the maverick and drive 60mph how much of my load will be "lifted" off the truck and how high can the roof of my tear drop trailer be to have the wind that comes over the wing and help push the rig? Maybe a flap on top of wing to help with braking?

Iconical

First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element
This is the lightest trailer with a bathroom that I've found. The GVWR is 2,500 pounds, The uvw is 1,707. I *think* that empty a hybrid mav could pull this - I am not sure about how the front square footage works with a curved front like that. The length x height would be over 65'2 so that would be way out of league.
https://travelliterv.com/rvs/2021-rove-lite-travel-trailers/

I think a scamp 13' with trailer may also be possible but it is hard to find info. I think a nucamp tab with bathroom is too heavy.
https://www.scamptrailers.com/showroom/13-standard-trailers#layout-2
We have a Bushwacker plus 15’ teardrop style front trailer with a dry weight of 1,900 lbs. it has a small bathroom, ac, small fridge, stove, and 3 way power which costs 8-10k less than a nucamp or scamp which might be something you might want to consider as an alternative. We Plan on pulling with 2.0eb awd with 4K tow

Iconical

First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element
There are some small teardrops that meet the spec. Looking at NuCamp:

-- The TAG would come in just under the limit at about 37 sq ft (if you take out the 8 inches of underbody clearance).
-- But The TAG XL would come in at just over the limit at 43 sq ft.

All of their other trailers are too big (unless I misread the specs - it happens)
Probably looking at a very limited selection...
The Bushwacker Plus would also come in at right around 40. It does allow someone 6’ or less to stand upright.

Iconical

First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element
The overall weight is low, but it is very tongue heavy (I would say I'm close to 400 lb). Couple that with it sitting very high, so not aerodynamic and it does have a large frontal area. I can get 11 MPG going under 60, but compared with my friends TAB that I towed going 70 I would get 15-16 MPG! I made some changes to improve so we'll see what I can get on the Maverick for comparison.
The Bushwacker plus does sit higher, and I found I needed a hitch coupler with a 5” rise. This allows the trailer to be level when towing and reduces the tongue weight.

Sponsored

Sleeper 7

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Fusion 14 Ram Dump 23 Maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I think this has more to do with trailer brakes. No reason the non 4k cant haul the same weight. The gear difference is very minor and the trans cooler is a joke.

Hot Runr Guy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Edge SEL, 2024 Lariat AWD BAP 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The Bushwacker plus does sit higher, and I found I needed a hitch coupler with a 5” rise. This allows the trailer to be level when towing and reduces the tongue weight.
Wow! I've measured a couple of Mav's lately, the inside-top of the 2" receiver is right at 19", add a 5" rise, plus 2+ inches for the ball, and that trailer needs a 26" height to the top of the ball?

HRG

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
Undecided
Are you thinking about hitting the road this summer with an RV camper, boat, recreational vehicle, or other trailers to enjoy your favorite activities? For additional towing knowledge and information, check out our series of short, informative videos and towing guides. You'll find topics such as a guide to Ford RV, Trailer Towing and more.
Sponsored

Last edited: