Sponsored

2 months in and have a blown door speaker (B&O)

PDM33

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Well that was quick! Was listening the other day and noticed a buzzing coming from the right front door. Oops!! I listen to my music pretty loud but never thought I would blow one this quick lol. Already called the dealer and they are ordering the speaker and I am going on Wednesday to get it replaced. I have the B&O Lariat stereo so it sounds pretty good but wouldn't be against replacing the door speakers if this happens again. Anything that is a direct replacement? I have seen people using the PowerBass speakers in their XLT as a direct replacement but not sure if that everything is the same with the B&O system.

Would also love to add a powered subwoofer to the system to help out the factory sub. Not looking to replace it, just one that I can put behind the rear seat or even under one of the front seats. Not lookin to blow the windows out, just like to get a little more on the lower tones.
Sponsored

Nw_adventure

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element/ Toyota Highlander
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I posted the same awhile back - Right front B/O - But to be honest I think the "buzz" is just at certain frequencies as things in the door don't like bass. Keep us posted-

OP
OP
PDM33

PDM33

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I posted the same awhile back - Right front B/O - But to be honest I think the "buzz" is just at certain frequencies as things in the door don't like bass. Keep us posted-
Interesting, I never used to hear it but now I he’s fit almost all the time. We will see what they say when I get there next week lol

bgn

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Went to the dealer for the same issue. They're saying it's the speaker, but I'd be more than willing to bet it's just how poorly the door is constructed.

They ordered a new speaker, but when I heard about the airbag recall coming, told them I'm not going to visit them twice so I'll be waiting a bit for the fix lol

Delbert

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Forester, honda Accord Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
When I replaced my speakers and added sound deadening to the door panel I realized it was made of several panels with plastic spot welds holding it together. There are lots of places where the plastic pieces could vibrate against each other. I tucked sound deadening in the gaps.

The factory amp is powerful enough to really get that door vibrating and if you turn it up past about 12 I can imagine blowing out the factory speaker. Aftermarket speakers with their bigger magnets will get the door vibrating even more. Good Luck.

Sponsored

Whatthewhat11

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
For the front doors, any 6.5" speaker will do. If you are going to add an aftermarket subwoofer I would remove the original. The aftermarket will almost certainly sound better and the stock one is just going to muddy the harmonics.

OP
OP
PDM33

PDM33

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
When I replaced my speakers and added sound deadening to the door panel I realized it was made of several panels with plastic spot welds holding it together. There are lots of places where the plastic pieces could vibrate against each other. I tucked sound deadening in the gaps.

The factory amp is powerful enough to really get that door vibrating and if you turn it up past about 12 I can imagine blowing out the factory speaker. Aftermarket speakers with their bigger magnets will get the door vibrating even more. Good Luck.
I do want to do sound deadening at some point on both doors. I have a huge roll from past projects, so maybe sooner or later might be a good idea. Maybe once they get the new speaker in there I'll go back in and tidy up a bit and see how it sounds. Thx

Mojorayy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat Lux
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have the same issue, if not very similar, and my dealership said it was the amp... They said there was a known issue with the amp sending bad feedback to the speaker in the B&O Lariat package. It will make "farting" noises when the doors are opened in the truck and anytime I am walking around the truck (washing it or something else like that). And it also sounds distorted and blown out with volume over 5 on the system. Front right passenger door speaker.

I originally took it to the dealership the first week of May and they got the amp on order. Apparently the amp is so far on back-order that they still have not received it over 3 months later.

Here's a post I made almost 2 weeks after I took delivery of the truck. I have had the issue since I got it: Post #36.

Last edited:

AutobahnSHO

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata, Hybrid Mav, Odyssey
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So I got one of these type to hide under the center console of a minivan. It's not going to rattle the mirrors or wake up the neighbors, but this sub adds a VERY surprising amount of sound from an EXTREMELY SMALL power wire:

https://silarius.com/products/pione...150-watt-active-subwoofer-with-built-in-amp-1

When I switched the minivan for a Miata I put it in the footwell, and it sounds amazingly full there too. Check it out:

Rojo

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT, Alto Blue, AWD Eco-Boost, Lux
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So, I have an interesting perspective on this, this past weekend I hardwired a dash cam into my truck and while i was installing that I decided to change the door speakers out. Well, I get mostly done with the passenger door, sound deadening added and by this point it was nearly 100 degrees outside and I'm drenched, just sweating all over my new truck. I decide to call it and do the other one later.

Well I've been driving around for a week with one original door speaker (driver side) and one powerbass door speaker (passenger side). I've been playing with the adjustments and there is a definite difference between the two. You can clearly hear the blowout buzz from the ford speaker where the powerbass still sounds good.

An example, today I was listening to "Forgot About Dre" at about 15 or 16 volume. During certain parts of the song the ford speaker sounded like a bunch of bee's it was buzzing so loud but I never heard anything but pure music from the passenger side.

The point of the story, the OEM speakers are garbage and should all be replaced, I'm replacing the other speaker next week.

Sponsored
OP
OP
PDM33

PDM33

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So, I have an interesting perspective on this, this past weekend I hardwired a dash cam into my truck and while i was installing that I decided to change the door speakers out. Well, I get mostly done with the passenger door, sound deadening added and by this point it was nearly 100 degrees outside and I'm drenched, just sweating all over my new truck. I decide to call it and do the other one later.

Well I've been driving around for a week with one original door speaker (driver side) and one powerbass door speaker (passenger side). I've been playing with the adjustments and there is a definite difference between the two. You can clearly hear the blowout buzz from the ford speaker where the powerbass still sounds good.

An example, today I was listening to "Forgot About Dre" at about 15 or 16 volume. During certain parts of the song the ford speaker sounded like a bunch of bee's it was buzzing so loud but I never heard anything but pure music from the passenger side.

The point of the story, the OEM speakers are garbage and should all be replaced, I'm replacing the other speaker next week.
But you are comparing the OEM XLT speaker vs Powerbass, not B&O vs Powerbass. That is what I'm wondering, is the Powerbass worth the upgrade vs the factory B&O. And also is it still a simple plug and play with the B&O like it is with the base system.

FriarPop

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I have the same thing, some frequencies it sounds blown but its just vibrations in the cheap plastic door, when i put pressure on the door it goes away, will eventually put some dynamat inside it and hope it helps.

Nw_adventure

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element/ Toyota Highlander
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have the same thing, some frequencies it sounds blown but its just vibrations in the cheap plastic door, when i put pressure on the door it goes away, will eventually put some dynamat inside it and hope it helps.
Same-Will do that when upgrading the door speakers-

bgn

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I'll take your avatar as a sign that you love my Maverick. Great build, isn't it? 😉

FriarPop

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I'll take your avatar as a sign that you love my Maverick. Great build, isn't it? 😉
Its easily the best build and color, im glad its not a bland grandpa color. Plus they dont have this color anymore so its rare like Mr. Clean with hair.
Sponsored

• Haha
Reactions: bgn