ScoobyKnows

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
12V socket is alive when the car is shutoff for a period of time depending on the current battery state of charge.
Yes, I have a volt meter in the socket that has a USB port that I have my dash cam plugged into. It usually stays on for about an hour or so until the voltage drops to below 12. I feel like I'm playing Russian roulette with all the dead hybrid issues but it shouldn't have to be that way. I've had no issues so far on my 2024 Hybrid but I've only had it for 2 months.
Sponsored

wax87

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Avalon
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

the voltage at the battery was checked when the Maverick was shut off.
"shut off" is a relative term. You can turn off the engine and then for the next 5 minutes or so you can hear all sort of solenoids clicking on and off. I have no idea if that has anything to do with your voltage discrepancies. I would sure like to know the sequence of what all of those clicks are doing and what they systems they are working with.

xplorguy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Norman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Veloster N
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
"shut off" is a relative term. You can turn off the engine and then for the next 5 minutes or so you can hear all sort of solenoids clicking on and off. I have no idea if that has anything to do with your voltage discrepancies. I would sure like to know the sequence of what all of those clicks are doing and what they systems they are working with.
Yes, wouldn't we all like to know what is actually taking place with all the switching going on....

Hot Runr Guy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Edge SEL, 2024 Lariat AWD BAP 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Not in my experience.
You are correct. I did not wait around to see how long the 12V power port stayed live, but there certainly is a difference between "running" voltage and "non-running" voltage.

HRG

Sponsored

svogt302

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang Boss 302, 2019 Ranger
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Doesn't it shut off once you open the door (to go check at the battery)?

HRG
No, not right away. After a long drive it can stay on over an hour as the battery will have a full charge.

MetalsGeek

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rough
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Yamaha FZ-07
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
There is a way. It is a secret. But not well guarded.

Chock the tires.
Put parking brake on.
Start hybrid engine.
Shift to "N".

The engine will run until it runs out of gas or until you put it in Park or until you turn the key off, whichever comes first.
Thanks for the suggestion. I tried your steps, but they don't work on my '23 XLT. Your step "Start Hybrid Engine" remains the sticking point (how?). When I "start" my truck, the system powers up and the noisemaker starts, but the ICE remains off. Perhaps it would start if I turned the heat on high, but I'm looking for a way to do simple diagnostics with the engine idling, such as a leak check after an oil change. Usually such modes pass accelerator pedal position to the throttle body too.

The Real Maverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks for the suggestion. I tried your steps, but they don't work on my '23 XLT. Your step "Start Hybrid Engine" remains the sticking point (how?). When I "start" my truck, the system powers up and the noisemaker starts, but the ICE remains off. Perhaps it would start if I turned the heat on high, but I'm looking for a way to do simple diagnostics with the engine idling, such as a leak check after an oil change. Usually such modes pass accelerator pedal position to the throttle body too.
Press the go pedal before shifting.
Then apply parking brake.

Last edited:

fauxhican

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick XLT FX4 4K Tow
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have an EcoBoost, so this may not be the same, but I was poking around in forscan recently and discovered a setting related to the battery charge cutoff. It was set from the factory to 80%, which I can't quite get my head around, unless it's to make life easier on the alternator. Curious if anyone else has seen that, as it would mess with those readings while it's powered off, if it stops charging the battery early.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Isn't it interesting that the documentation on modern vehicles is so egregious that we actually have conversations like this, and simple facts on the underlying design never come to light? Ex: I'm pretty sure there must be some way to manually start and idle the hybrid's engine for testing, but this is somehow a closely guarded secret.
Several ways. Easiest is to just turn AC to max (either heat or cool).

Sponsored

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have an EcoBoost, so this may not be the same, but I was poking around in forscan recently and discovered a setting related to the battery charge cutoff. It was set from the factory to 80%, which I can't quite get my head around, unless it's to make life easier on the alternator. Curious if anyone else has seen that, as it would mess with those readings while it's powered off, if it stops charging the battery early.
I was under the impression that the 80% cutoff is point where the max float charge voltage reduces to prevent over charging battery with the up to 15.4 volts not when battery is fully charged.

MetalsGeek

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rough
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Yamaha FZ-07
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Several ways. Easiest is to just turn AC to max (either heat or cool).
Thanks. Another member schooled me on this too: Key fully on and "started" (as if to drive), but leave it in Park and just stomp on the throttle. I'm pretty sure there's also a diagnostic mode whereby the engine will actually idle (without generator load), and the accelerator pedal operates the throttle body as if it were on a cable like the olden days. I'm still searching for THAT secret...

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks. Another member schooled me on this too: Key fully on and "started" (as if to drive), but leave it in Park and just stomp on the throttle. I'm pretty sure there's also a diagnostic mode whereby the engine will actually idle (without generator load), and the accelerator pedal operates the throttle body as if it were on a cable like the olden days. I'm still searching for THAT secret...
Maybe this.....

MetalsGeek

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rough
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Yamaha FZ-07
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Maybe this.....
Thanks for the suggestion, but this doesn't quite do it either. Entering ET mode in my XLT requires holding the brake pedal AND the OK button while turning on the key. I suspect this is a good starting point but so far the truck seems to operate normally in ET mode, and I just want it to idle.

fauxhican

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick XLT FX4 4K Tow
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I was under the impression that the 80% cutoff is point where the max float charge voltage reduces to prevent over charging battery with the up to 15.4 volts not when battery is fully charged.
Interesting. That would make some sense, gives some adjustment if you went with another battery chemistry.
Sponsored