First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Biden was promising to go EV on the entire Federal gov't fleet, and some of the Green New Deal people pushing the massive infrastructure spending programs will be only too happy to hold him to that and provide the funding for it.
The government fleet is too massive and many of the vehicles too new to afford to push that through, plus if they were to push EVs instead of hybrids, the infrastructure simply isn't there throughout the US. The costs would be astronomical, so I think that was just a talking point and not a realistic suggestion they will truly pursue. I could certainly see them purchasing hybrid Maverick's though with a phased in approach on new purchases only rather than replacing vehicles that may only be a few years old.

If they made a SUV version of the Maverick in hybrid and called it the next generation Ford Flex, I could see perhaps even cops using them.
Sponsored

CASD57

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz
Engine
Undecided
I was seriously looking to deck out a XL AWD...but no heated seats....and few other options NA convince me to go XLT... I kind of like the steel wheels look..Industrial! Maverick ready for work....

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The government fleet is too massive and many of the vehicles too new to afford to push that through, plus if they were to push EVs instead of hybrids, the infrastructure simply isn't there throughout the US. The costs would be astronomical, so I think that was just a talking point and not a realistic suggestion they will truly pursue. I could certainly see them purchasing hybrid Maverick's though with a phased in approach on new purchases only rather than replacing vehicles that may only be a few years old.

If they made a SUV version of the Maverick in hybrid and called it the next generation Ford Flex, I could see perhaps even cops using them.
agreed infrastructure is not there and may never be sufficient to displace what we have now. Even knowing this, there is still major efforts to blindly plow ahead no matter the consequences- and Oregon just joined California in asking citizens not to charge their PHEVs at home because of strains on their electric grids with high Summer temps.🤣 Kinda defeats the purpose of owning PHEVs in the 1st place?

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
there is still major efforts to blindly plow ahead no matter the consequences
IMO they are just using one of the oldest tricks in the book. So we're trained from a young age that if you're in a dispute with someone, the most fair solution is generally to find a compromise somewhere in the middle, that way nobody gets exactly what they want but no one is hurt too bad either. Knowing this though, it can be exploited.

Say you have this really cute black dress you want to wear, but you know its a bit racy and dad is probably going to exercise veto power. Instead you put together the sluttiest combo you can find, something you would never even be seen in public with and is embarrassing even to you, knowing that for sure dad is going to shout at you and you can protest for a bit until voila you compromise and come out with the black dress. Dad isn't super happy, but at least its better, but you actually didn't compromise at all because you were totally BS'ing as a strategy in the first place.

So when you hear crazy stuff, don't worry, its just a strategy and they would be happy to phase in Maverick hybrids into the fleet.

Sponsored

TruckGuySC

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
the problem with the Ridgeline is it’s $40,000 the price of a decently equipped Fseries or a LOADED Ranger.
Even the original 1st gen was nearly $30k in 2006. Or the same price as a 4.6L v8 F150.

the market is much more open for a mid $20s Maverick
Thank you! You just made my point! A loaded Ranger is roughly the same price as a loaded Ridgeline while providing more capabilities than the Ridgeline.

You can get a Ridgeline 2WD that is competitively priced, and it still doesn’t sell as well bc of its limitations.

Tennisbum

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape hybrid
Ford has more American factories, employees, products and parts than any other maker by a LANDSLIDE.
And yes I high doubt most of those parts on the Hyundai are American made.
Not to mention the RND was likely done in Korea and the profits go to Korea.
Let’s not Santa Cruz is a Hyundai, there products have gotten better but they don’t hold there value for resale, I believe that Maverick will be a big hit, Ford will struggle to keep up with demand and it will be offered later in plug in and all electric which will,expand the brand.

SpacemanSpiff

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tyreese
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-15 Eagle
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
In their STUDIOS… Designers, not engineers. Thank you for playing!
Little late to reply, but I'll play - but I will first stipulate that I don't like the Hyundai, and I've ordered a Maverick - for full disclosure.

If you are comparing apples to oranges - Maverick to Santa Cruz - and your purchases for some reason depends on which is the most 'American' of the two, good luck! Maybe your decision is based on where the engineers were located when the truck was designed? Engineers are paid a short term to work on a vehicle's design, with some small corrective followup - employees at the manufacturing plant, in some opinions, are a better assessment than engineering team's physical location. For one, there are far more people employed to build these things compared to the number of engineers, and for a much longer duration (usually) measured in years. The Santa Cruz is built in Montgomery, Alabama - maybe that's a deciding factor in how 'American' a vehicle is? Perhaps where the money ends up is more important? Ford, headquartered in the US, it could be argued that "hey, at least my money is going to a US company!", and that's as fair as any other statement, I suppose. In the end, any of these arguments that are posited are used to make the 'self' feel more at ease and to convince the ego that the right and just decision was made for whatever 'team' you have decided to affiliate with. In the current global supply chain of manufacturing, it is impossible to find a vehicle that is currently "All American". Just look at the current chip shortage problem to verify that statement.

Wire4money

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Wrangler
Engine
Undecided
Thank you! You just made my point! A loaded Ranger is roughly the same price as a loaded Ridgeline while providing more capabilities than the Ridgeline.

You can get a Ridgeline 2WD that is competitively priced, and it still doesn’t sell as well bc of its limitations.
Ridgeline is standard AWD

Sponsored

CASD57

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz
Engine
Undecided

Hack

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Hack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 & 2018 Honda CRV
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
They have that listed on their website but that’s not what they told the trade press when they let them do the reviews.. from the Autotrader review:
1626125679494.png
Is anyone else wondering about how rugged the Santa Cruz bed is? Not often, but occasionally, I will be using this thing (or the Maverick) as a truck, like hauling, sometimes big and heavy, cut tree limbs and such to the dump for chipping. If in drop heavy stuff with sharp edges into the Santa Cruz bed could it dent or even puncture it? I'm not talking about being careless or abusive, but sometimes I get a little ham-handed.

Hack

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Hack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 & 2018 Honda CRV
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This is nonsense. I've got over 100k miles on a hyundai and have had two issues the entire time [clock spring and loose steering box] , both covered by that "joke" warranty without any problems. One of those arose after an industry standard 5y/60k mile warranty would've lapsed.

Honda may respond "can't say i missed until you know what I was aiming at". Honda simply isn't trying to sell as many Ridgeline units as, say, civics or accords.

Hyundai isn't going to sell as many santa cruz units as ford will mavericks because that is not what they set out to do. I fully expected to pay about 37k for a santa cruz limited...39k is probably too rich for my blood and I'll stick with the 26k hybrid xlt that I have on order. But I bet many people will get into a santa cruz; tons of folks out there are willing to pay a higher price for a more premium product. Hyundai only needs to find about 35k of them to be able to honestly declare the program a success.
Maybe I missed something, but the base Santa Cruz comes with a lot of stuff (no bed liner needed, more driver safety features, remote mirrors, built-in tonneau/or not) that I would have to pay extra for on the Maverick.

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Little late to reply, but I'll play - but I will first stipulate that I don't like the Hyundai, and I've ordered a Maverick - for full disclosure.

If you are comparing apples to oranges - Maverick to Santa Cruz - and your purchases for some reason depends on which is the most 'American' of the two, good luck! Maybe your decision is based on where the engineers were located when the truck was designed? Engineers are paid a short term to work on a vehicle's design, with some small corrective followup - employees at the manufacturing plant, in some opinions, are a better assessment than engineering team's physical location. For one, there are far more people employed to build these things compared to the number of engineers, and for a much longer duration (usually) measured in years. The Santa Cruz is built in Montgomery, Alabama - maybe that's a deciding factor in how 'American' a vehicle is? Perhaps where the money ends up is more important? Ford, headquartered in the US, it could be argued that "hey, at least my money is going to a US company!", and that's as fair as any other statement, I suppose. In the end, any of these arguments that are posited are used to make the 'self' feel more at ease and to convince the ego that the right and just decision was made for whatever 'team' you have decided to affiliate with. In the current global supply chain of manufacturing, it is impossible to find a vehicle that is currently "All American". Just look at the current chip shortage problem to verify that statement.
We could all just wait for the actual window stickers listing domestic content. That would cover all the workers in all the US factories making the component parts.

Probity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Scab 2.7EB, 2017 CR-V
Is anyone else wondering about how rugged the Santa Cruz bed is? Not often, but occasionally, I will be using this thing (or the Maverick) as a truck, like hauling, sometimes big and heavy, cut tree limbs and such to the dump for chipping. If in drop heavy stuff with sharp edges into the Santa Cruz bed could it dent or even puncture it? I'm not talking about being careless or abusive, but sometimes I get a little ham-handed.
Go check out the SC owners manual.
2022 Santa Cruz Owners Manual (hyundaiusa.com)
When I test-sat and did a look-see at a SC locally last week, I specifically looked at the bed area to see if it had any warning labels etc about the so-called "~660 lb. max. load capacity" for the composite bed that many sites reference. Nada.
I had earlier looked at the SC online owners manual to see if specifically mentioned anything about that - you'd think that would be a pretty important limitation to flag, yes? - but again nothing - however....
1) Lots of early general info referenced the "~1700 lb+ max. possible payload" of the SC - so you'd expect the yellow door sticker to be somewhere in the 1500-1700 lb range (depending on trim level) - but the Limited SC I looked at has an actual payload capacity of only 1411 lb (less than a Maverick XLT hybrid).
Ford Maverick 🥊 2022 Maverick vs Santa Cruz PRICING, SPECS, TRIMS Comparison five

2) Strangely, the SC owners manual (Vehicle Load Limit section) does mention 1411 lbs as a max. load for either 2wd or AWD. And that unusual mention of "Warning! Cargo should never exceed 661 lbs" got me wondering if maybe the composite bed does really have a low load limit due to its Ridgeline-like bed trunk.
Ford Maverick 🥊 2022 Maverick vs Santa Cruz PRICING, SPECS, TRIMS Comparison sc load.JPG

Of course I asked the Hyundai sales type about all this but her was clueless. So I'm still wondering...
Sponsored