pxpaulx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
What are you trying to get at? I have always understood a 'loaded' vehicle to be the to trim and any of the main package add-ons. Nobody thinks about it as clicking every single optional thing like Ash trays and roadside bags to make the price as high as possible. I think that is where the articles reference to bring above $40k is a little disingenuous.

A loaded first edition lariat hybrid is about 32,400 and 4k more for the 2.0 AWD.
Sponsored

Abraxis

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Elantra, forester, ranger, crx
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

What are you trying to get at? I have always understood a 'loaded' vehicle to be the to trim and any of the main package add-ons. Nobody thinks about it as clicking every single optional thing like Ash trays and roadside bags to make the price as high as possible. I think that is where the articles reference to bring above $40k is a little disingenuous.

A loaded first edition lariat hybrid is about 32,400 and 4k more for the 2.0 AWD.
Is is just the most accurate way to compare across brands where brand A includes things x, y, and z in a top trim and brand B does not include x, y, and z in the top trim but those things can be added ala carte.

We can be cheerleaders for the maverick all that we want, but there might be an undecided shopper who comes upon this forum (or this thread in particular, given its title) and that person should have access to good information, even if that includes a counterpoint or two.

OP
OP
FirstOnRaceDay

FirstOnRaceDay

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
Last edited:
OP
OP
FirstOnRaceDay

FirstOnRaceDay

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
8C3F4C3F-02B6-48F2-BC3F-C5F437A3166A.png

Ford Maverick 2.0T AWD, Lariat, Lux, Fx4, Towing, Hard cover, Sunroof, excluding First Edition (painted prices) and Dealer accessories. $38,315
Hyundai Santa Cruz Limited AWD is ~$41,000 STARTING. that’s a massive difference. Not “both $40k” at all.
so After Tax (7.5%) Title loan (5year 4%) fuel costs ($10,000) 5 year cost of ownership is
$55,733 Ford
$59,345 Hyundai
Or $3,612 or 6.5% MORE. And that’s with out any know options for the Hyundai.

Last edited:

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

I agree about disingenuous "fully loaded" pricing by just willy-nilly adding all accessories.

My 'loaded' hybrid lariat with luxury package and moon roof and console vault (but no bed cover chosen) is $34,000 OUT THE DOOR final price including all delivery, taxes, and dealer fees. In my case ~3% North Carolina vehicle tax, $700 dealer fee, other minor recording fees -- base price of my build + delivery fee is $32,050.

Ford Maverick 🥊 2022 Maverick vs Santa Cruz PRICING, SPECS, TRIMS Comparison 1626292939095

Since you can't get a non-AWD Santa Cruz, and many people (such as myself) aren't buying the Maverick for AWD/off-road/towing needs, but rather the utility of a truck bed.... the closest apples to pears comparison in my case for top trim Maverick and Premium trim Santa Cruz with all the integral technology and features I'd want is the loaded Maverick + hard rollup + moon roof. That would bring the base price of Maverick to $31,895 without delivery fees compared to the Santa Cruz Premium base cost of $35,680 which is also without delivery fees.

Caveats are that the SC Premium has a couple bonuses auto-dimming mirrors and higher towing capacity that is not available on the top level hybrid-engine Maverick I would choose; I prefer the hybrid engine over towing capacity so this, again, is just my personal thought process if I'm comparing them.

It seems less accurate to compare my needs/desires of the Maverick to the top-trim SC Limited ($39,720) which has ventilated seats and a couple other bonuses like blind spot camera that aren't available on the Maverick.

EDIT: Looks like the SC Premium doesn't have moon roof or tow hitch standard so that's probably a larger chunk of change on top of the $35,680 base price.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
FirstOnRaceDay

FirstOnRaceDay

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I agree about disingenuous "fully loaded" pricing by just willy-nilly adding all accessories.

My 'loaded' hybrid lariat with luxury package and moon roof and console vault (but no bed cover chosen) is $34000 OUT THE DOOR final price including all delivery, taxes, and dealer fees.
Based on my calculations. OUT THE DOOR. Tax (7.5%) title license delivery etc. with every option excluding accessories (other Than bed cover) is $41,388. So yes it will be VERY hard to crack $40,000 for ANY maverick.

OP
OP
FirstOnRaceDay

FirstOnRaceDay

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So Hyundai FINALLY dropped the pricing of the Hyundai. (After Destination) the Hyundai starts about $3,700 over Maverick and tops out $7,000+++ over a loaded Maverick. At that point you could get a loaded Hyundai Santa Fe Calligraphy or Ford Edge Titanium. Or better yet. Ford Ranger Supercrew 4x4 Lariat Lux package. Seams like Hyundai dropped the ball.

3875072D-BB30-4A40-8A0B-AF439A46CE9D.jpeg
Updated pricing guild to include better estimated max prices. Hyundai options still unknown.

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

CASD57

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz
Engine
Undecided
One of the most popular builds is the XLT hybrid w/ luxury pkg

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So far, in cost of ownership, we’re not even talking about fuel economy. The SC is abysmal.

Sponsored

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So far, in cost of ownership, we’re not even talking about fuel economy. The SC is abysmal.
This may have been brought up already, but at least anecdotally I've also been reading from user experiences of recent hybrid drivetrains that they generally require less maintenance costs -- regenerative braking reduces brake wear, less ICE engine usage may decrease the net oil change costs. Also certain components like certain pumps, starter, HVAC, may be integrated with electronic components in hybrid drivetrain or not belt driven? I'm not sure if this adds up in reality to lower maintenance costs of hybrid vs traditional engine over like 10-20 years, but I can at least see the theory.

Last edited:
OP
OP
FirstOnRaceDay

FirstOnRaceDay

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This may have been brought up already, but at least anecdotally I've also been reading from user experiences of recent hybrid drivetrains that they generally require less maintenance costs -- regenerative braking reduces brake wear, less ICE engine usage may decrease the net oil change costs. Also certain components like certain pumps, starter, HVAC, may be integrated with electronic components in hybrid drivetrain or not belt driven? I'm not sure if this adds up in reality to lower maintenance costs of hybrid vs traditional engine over like 10-20 years, but I can at least see the theory.
That is correct. The hybrid fords don’t have an alternator. The AC compressor is ran off electricity not a belt. Power steering is full electric. which electric components last longer because they are regulated much better with a constant voltage vs variable RPM

I’ve talked to several Prius owners that get 100-150k miles out of their brakes and they never need rotors.

so yes general maintenance is much much cheaper on a hybrid vs ICE.

Making the Hybrid the Standard drivetrain was a very smart move by ford. It will get a lot of people on board with hybrids. And then PHEVS and EVS

Nonsense

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Pilot
Engine
Undecided
The SC interior is only nicer in an SUV, soccer-mom kind of way… it’s like my Honda Ridgeline… it is not functional as a truck interior.
Well put. I had an 07 Ridgeline and was disappointed in the interior of the gen2 Ridgeline.

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
One problem here is that this chart is pretty incomplete when it comes to features.

For example, a loaded Santa Cruz has a lot of things that aren't mentioned in the spreadsheet.

It has a more advanced turbocharged engine that not only is more powerful but is both port and fuel injected so won't carbon foul like the Ford ecoboost inevitably will, an advanced wet-clutch DCT which is more sporty than the frankensteined 8-speed rescue attempt that Ford did on the poorly developed GM-9 speed that is in the ecoboost versions, rear passenger vents, ventilated leather instead of unvented pleather seats, a self-leveling suspension, soft touch all over the place in the front whereas almost nothing is soft touch on the Ford, the latest and greatest 10.25" infotainment system and huge fully digital dash using an advanced screen that doesn't require a glare hood compared to a last generation small Sync 3, higher resolution cameras, turning the blinker on turns gauges in the dash into side view cameras for safer lane changes, it has unique features like the ability to park using the keyfob from outside the vehicle, a damped tailgate, digital key, heated mirrors with integrated turn signals, 1000lb higher tow rating, accent lighting like LED brake lights that extend into the tailgate and black chrome stealth multi-point DRLs instead of merely a simple strip above the headlights and headlights that are more advanced projector vs reflector, a "brunk" in the bed, an interior floor that with a couple bolts can be a larger loading space than the Maverick that's fixed in place and with a bigger hump, a much longer warranty, etc.

Even if you compare something like a Ford Fusion against a Lincoln MKZ, while they may appear very similar on paper since the Lincoln is just a jazzed up Fusion, you can see in person they spent a lot more money on a lot of details which bumps the price $10K.

Whether its a better VALUE or is even a style you like is another story, but I just wanted to chime in that while a SC Limited is hugely expensive, its certainly a more feature rich and premium vehicle than a Maverick Lariat. So while you can certainly rule out trims that are out of your price range with the announcement, don't make decisions without driving and sitting in both vehicles so you can listen to the stereo and the road noise and the steering wheel feel and the like, as those don't show up on paper.
Sponsored