jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I’m not sure how a software update will fix a fire problem. Do they mean updating the PCM like the 23e09 recall? It feels super ridiculous that is taking a very long time especially for those that are wanting to trade in/sell their cars.
Well now they mention parts, still with no detail and not "anticipated" before 2024Q2...

New! REASON FOR THIS SUPPLEMENT
Service Action: The date for the complete Dealer Bulletin has been updated to reflect when the software and parts are anticipated to be available to support this safety recall.

New! SERVICE ACTION DO NOT DEMONSTRATE OR DELIVER any new in-stock vehicles involved in this safety recall. A complete Dealer Bulletin will be provided to dealers in the 2nd quarter of 2024 when it is anticipated that parts and software will be available to support this safety recall.
Sponsored

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
A software fix won't prevent a rod from coming through the side of the block, but it could allow the knock sensor to determine if there is a failing component, then warn the driver and open the grill shutters. Apparently Hyundai did this as a recall with problem models, IIRC.

Anyone believing that Ford is going to recall, disassemble, and inspect/repair all the units built within the dates where the defect could be present is dreaming in technicolor. Ford is going to mitigate its liability and meet the regulator's requirements. Have there been any under hood fires in Maverick hybrids caused by faulty crank finishing? I would wager as time goes on the regulators will be less concerned with fewer or no more issues arising.

Do you have an affected unit? Why can't you trade in or sell your truck?

Cheers.
That’s what I was thinking thanks for trying to explain it to me I’m not really worried now. Yes, can’t sell it since I do Amazon Flex with my Escape and other related work on my car but very lucky to not have any fire broke out in the car! 92k and it’s still purring well!! I believe the majority of it has to do with proper and preventative maintenance care.

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Well now they mention parts, still with no detail and not "anticipated" before 2024Q2...
It's still very vague with what FoMoCo is saying. I don't understand why they wouldn't update it on the NHTSA system base.

Block

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I wonder if Ford could check/monitor the motor oil to determine which trucks have faulty engines...send oil off to be analyzed. Ford likely has the capability.

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I wonder if Ford could check/monitor the motor oil to determine which trucks have faulty engines...send oil off to be analyzed. Ford likely has the capability.
I’m sure they do have the capability. Unknown if they want to go that route or find another alternative since it still says that there will be a software update in conjunction with parts. I’m sure we will get something similar installed that is in the 1.5 Ecoboost Engines, but instead with the 2.5 Atkinson Hybrids.

Sponsored

Block

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That (band aid fix) is partly why we let the dealer keep our 2023 which Ford won't let us take delivery on...been sitting at dealer since right before or right after this recall was issues.....we (my disabled older brother) ordered a 2024 turbo.
I probably won't buy one for me after the many Ford fiascos in various models the past 10+ years (thank goodness I bought a stick shift Focus). I've been driving Fords since 1996, unsure what I'll get next.

College buddy only owned Fords too. He just bought a VW because they still offer stick shift. I'm sick of shifting though...and unless you shift very aggressively, wearing out the clutch, they are slower than an automatic and get worse gas mileage nowadays. I shift very smoothly...and slow.

Bolt EUV will be tempting...or Colorado before my Focus dies - drive Colorado only when I need a truck (and not in the salt)...and eventually replace Focus with EV. I always think 15+ years ahead.

I’m sure we will get something similar installed that is in the 1.5 Ecoboost Engines, but instead with the 2.5 Atkinson Hybrids.

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That (band aid fix) is partly why we let the dealer keep our 2023 which Ford won't let us take delivery on...been sitting at dealer since right before or right after this recall was issues.....we (my disabled older brother) ordered a 2024 turbo.
I probably won't buy one for me after the many Ford fiascos in various models the past 10+ years (thank goodness I bought a stick shift Focus). I've been driving Fords since 1996, unsure what I'll get next.

College buddy only owned Fords too. He just bought a VW because they still offer stick shift. I'm sick of shifting though...and unless you shift very aggressively, wearing out the clutch, they are slower than an automatic and get worse gas mileage nowadays. I shift very smoothly...and slow.

Bolt EUV will be tempting...or Colorado before my Focus dies - drive Colorado only when I need a truck (and not in the salt)...and eventually replace Focus with EV. I always think 15+ years ahead.
I heard you can get the new mustang with a stick shift. But yeah all of the newer cars are going obsolete with stick shifts since that isn’t the demand anymore

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Updated chronology: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2023/RMISC-23V380-5342.pdf

May – November 2023: Ford’s Internal Combustion Powertrain and Powertrain Controls Engineering teams tested several engines and analyzed historical calibration data to characterize connecting rod bearing failures for all cylinders. The team used these findings to develop a connecting rod bearing failure detection algorithm which will limit engine speed/load after detecting a bearing that is in the process of failing, and provide notification to the driver. Once the software was developed, the engineering teams tested its effectiveness through dynamometer and vehicle testing. The results of the testing indicate that this algorithm will detect a connecting rod bearing failure and protect the engine from a block breach.

On December 15, 2023, Ford’s Field Review Committee approved the remedy for the 23S27 field action.
Jan 24, 2024, dealer notification: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2023/RCMN-23V380-9892.pdf

New! SERVICE ACTION DO NOT DEMONSTRATE OR DELIVER any new in-stock vehicles involved in this safety recall. A complete Dealer Bulletin will be provided to dealers in the 2nd quarter of 2024 when it is anticipated that parts and software will be available to support this safety recall
Feb 2024 recall notification to consumers: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2023/RIONL-23V380-8214.pdf

Ford Motor Company is working closely with its suppliers to produce parts and software for this repair. When parts and software become available, Ford Motor Company will notify you via mail to schedule a service appointment with your dealer for repairs to be completed free of charge (parts and labor). Parts and software are anticipated to be available in the 2nd quarter of 2024.

icegradner

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So as predicted they are doing nothing. No extended warranty on the engine, no actual fix or replacement, just a software warning. Got it. :ROFLMAO:
That’s what it seems like, but what’s even more confusing is that they will want to get parts and software for it so I’m unsure how that’s gonna eliminate the issue.

Sponsored

icegradner

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

That’s what it seems like, but what’s even more confusing is that they will want to get parts and software for it so I’m unsure how that’s gonna eliminate the issue.
I doubt there are any parts, these recall notes always say parts even for the ones that have been just software like this sounds like it will be. It fixes absolutely nothing. When Honda or Hyundai had similar recalls they replaced the engines, so Ford's just being cheap. This will definitely kill the resale value of any Maverick Hybrid made during the recall period.

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I doubt there are any parts, these recall notes always say parts even for the ones that have been just software like this sounds like it will be. It fixes absolutely nothing. When Honda or Hyundai had similar recalls they replaced the engines, so Ford's just being cheap. This will definitely kill the resale value of any Maverick Hybrid made during the recall period.
I have a Ford Escape as well and I’m sure that when they say “parts” they are implying that there is a part number, but in actuality we are more of getting a software fix. I mean if it fixes it that’s great, but if it doesn’t then that’s a waste of our time trying to repair something that is nonexistent. I really agree they are trying to be super cheap by releasing this software. There you know, if we have the same issue within a year then there might be another recall number but revelant to the same issue 😮💨

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hyundai only replaced their engines after specifically inspecting them, then installed a similar software monitor. After that point it was up to waiting for the engine to blow or start consuming oil (which had its own whole process for them to evaluate the consumption rate to warranty the engine) before they'd actually replace it.

icegradner

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Hyundai only replaced their engines after specifically inspecting them, then installed a similar software monitor.
Sure, but from the sounds of this Ford isn't even going to do that much. Just installing software, nothing more.

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sure, but from the sounds of this Ford isn't even going to do that much. Just installing software, nothing more.
The incidence rate for the Hyundai/Kia engines was much higher and the cause more specific.

Given the tales of woe stemming from the airbag recall would you want a dealership taking apart the bottom end of your engine to inspect the crankshaft, main, and rod bearings?
Sponsored