First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 ford Maverick lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I had the same issue with deep sleep mode.

Did the following.

1. Solar charger
https://a.co/d/2eXLlT5

Solar charger regulator
Note: I put the solar regulator in the yellow sealed container (see photo).
https://a.co/d/hgJc163

Accessories connector:
https://a.co/d/iD3EmV1

2. Bigger battery will also help. I put a 24F battery. To get the stock battery out you will have to take apart the air filter box to slide out the battery as the stock battery has edges that hook into the battery tray. The 24f battery is taller so you will need a m8 bolt extension. Or you can get a longer bolt and put some over size nuts on it.

3. I put a charging station in the bed of my truck with a 3 way switch that goes truck power/off,/,external battery. The external battery is in the bed cubby and does have to be charged separately. I am thinking of putting a battery isolator so the truck can charge the external battery itself.

Battery isolator: https://a.co/d/3lBDtdG

Battery:
https://a.co/d/8X5Uc3Q

Ford Maverick One year living on the road with my Maverick IMG_20230122_105051

Ford Maverick One year living on the road with my Maverick IMG_20230122_103613

Ford Maverick One year living on the road with my Maverick IMG_20230122_103559

Ford Maverick One year living on the road with my Maverick IMG_20230122_103508
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

lumonix

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
are you using 12v to power your camper or the 110v 400 watt inverter? do you have to keep the key "on" for the engine to charge the battery?
The camper is powered via the 7 pin connector that connects the camper to the truck. So the truck powers the 12v camper battery.

I do also have a 100w solar panel on top of the truck. It currently chargers a lithium battery I use for my laptop and phone and Starlink. But I am thinking of hooking it up to the camper battery at some point.

Powering the camper via the truck works fine. You do need to have the key in the ignition and the truck started. The Hybrid engine manages when to start the combustion engine. Which is only a minute or two every 30 minutes or so. I personally think it works great. I lock the truck with my second set of keys when the other key is in the ignition. And of course my camper is attached and has its support legs extended. And I am in or near the camper. So I doubt anyone will try to break into the truck and try to drive off in that scenario.

carmigo

First Name
Carmigo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Engine
Undecided
I am coming up on one year living on the road with my Maverick. Started with a basic cot-tent on the back, to the beautifully engineered GFC camper and now pulling behind that my cozy Scamp trailer.

D15B0652-C485-45E4-9E00-550745DDB62E.jpeg

70F44CFE-6E01-4CBF-95EB-76195B1A81EB.jpeg

7E55B163-A076-4405-A4B8-3962C53097B7.jpeg

i have exactly 30k miles on the truck. The stock tires have another 10k in them before they need replacing.

Lately I have been letting different Ford dealer address some of the recalls and TSB’s. The “brake grab” problem is very magnified when you pull a trailer, but I am waiting for the dealer to get the parts to fix it.

I also had to get a Brake Controller installed and convert the standard 4 prong trailer connector to a 7 prong one. I had this done at Uhaul of all places. They did it in about an hour for less than $300. But I would have preferred if Ford offered this themselves for Hybrid owners. Getting a third party brake controller isn’t as nicely integrated as what Ford offers for the non-hybrid.

The Scamp trailer is fiberglass and weighs only 1550 lbs(with bathroom). The Hybrid has no problem pulling it at all.

Unfortunately I have yet to find a dealer who understands the “battery deep sleep - need to jump start” problem. Every time they test the battery it passes. And living on the road makes it hard to let the truck sit for weeks at a dealer. I wish @Ford Motor Company would release a TSB on this issue (it is not the harness). A TSB makes it so much easier to talk to dealers about an issue.

Anyway I continue to manage the issue with a kill switch that stops all electric drain from 12v battery.

Otherwise the truck has some scrapes and bruises (aka dents and scratches) because it goes where the adventure takes me. But it has held up beautifully and I am super grateful that Ford has made this hybrid truck that has giving me so many adventures.
Amazing set up! Glad you're managing the battery issue, but we do hope you can find a permanent solution soon. Other than that, it looks like you've had many fun adventures with your Maverick! What places have you traveled so far?

OP
OP

lumonix

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What places have you traveled so far?
California, Oregon, Washington, Montana, Wyoming, Nevada, Texas, Arizona.

Late spring I want to go Arizona, Colorado, Montana then up to the arctic of Canada (Alberta, NWT, back via coast of BC)

carmigo

First Name
Carmigo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Engine
Undecided

Late spring I want to go Arizona, Colorado, Montana then up to the arctic of Canada (Alberta, NWT, back via coast of BC)
Wow! This is an impressive list. Personally have always wanted to see Oregon, Washington, Arizona, and Colorado. Also a chance to see the northern lights in Canada would be life-changing.

Sponsored

GreatWhiteNorth

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Daryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Lumonix, you've sure got me thinking hard about getting one of the GFC platform campers! How was it for waterproofness, both open and closed? If you are driving thru heavy pouring rain for example, does it stay dry inside? Also, set up for camping, how is it in high winds, driving rain, and cold temperatures? You are the perfect guy to ask - few people would have camped in one as much as you have! How did you heat it in cold weather!?

Nw_adventure

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element/ Toyota Highlander
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

You forgot Utah ? :)

OP
OP

lumonix

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
GFC platform campers! How was it for waterproofness, both open and closed? how is it in high winds, and cold temperatures?
The cabin with the tent closed is about 95% waterproof. During heavy rain a little bit of water drips into the side which then drains out of the truck bed via the holes in the bed.

Sufficient for my needs and better than I expected.

When open the tent portion is fully waterproof. So you won’t get wet sleeping. There is some condensation ever morning, but less than a regular tent.

In high winds the tent fabric makes noise. Significantly less noise than a ground tent due to the wedge shape. Especially helpful if you can park your truck such that the hard cover of the tent roof points into the wind.

During strong winds I would still use ear plugs. I opted also to only have one door and not get the side doors/windows. This reduces wind noise because the door & bug screen flapping together causes most of the noise.

In cold temperatures it is cold inside. It has zero insulation and there is no “winter kit” available. So it is just as cold as sleeping in a tent with one big exception in that you are not sleeping on the cold ground. That helps a lot. But otherwise you need really good sleeping bags to stay warm.

I use a heated blanket on a lithium battery on the cold nights. The battery is charged during the day with a 100w solar panel on top of the GFC roof.

One very nice feature of the GFC is the honeycomb white roof it has. It lets in just enough light and reflects enough heat to make it more comfortable than a tent.

For weekend trips I think the GFC is super lovely. If you are a little nuts like me and can mostly stay in warm-ish, dry-ish weather you can have a good time living in it for a few weeks or months.

Eventually you’ll want a little more comfort though. Living longterm in a GFC setup gets uncomfortable and depressing. 😅

GreatWhiteNorth

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Daryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The cabin with the tent closed is about 95% waterproof. During heavy rain a little bit of water drips into the side which then drains out of the truck bed via the holes in the bed.

Sufficient for my needs and better than I expected.

When open the tent portion is fully waterproof. So you won’t get wet sleeping. There is some condensation ever morning, but less than a regular tent.

In high winds the tent fabric makes noise. Significantly less noise than a ground tent due to the wedge shape. Especially helpful if you can park your truck such that the hard cover of the tent roof points into the wind.

During strong winds I would still use ear plugs. I opted also to only have one door and not get the side doors/windows. This reduces wind noise because the door & bug screen flapping together causes most of the noise.

In cold temperatures it is cold inside. It has zero insulation and there is no “winter kit” available. So it is just as cold as sleeping in a tent with one big exception in that you are not sleeping on the cold ground. That helps a lot. But otherwise you need really good sleeping bags to stay warm.

I use a heated blanket on a lithium battery on the cold nights. The battery is charged during the day with a 100w solar panel on top of the GFC roof.

One very nice feature of the GFC is the honeycomb white roof it has. It lets in just enough light and reflects enough heat to make it more comfortable than a tent.

For weekend trips I think the GFC is super lovely. If you are a little nuts like me and can mostly stay in warm-ish, dry-ish weather you can have a good time living in it for a few weeks or months.

Eventually you’ll want a little more comfort though. Living longterm in a GFC setup gets uncomfortable and depressing. 😅
Thnx, I really appreciate that insight. We have an older (first year!) T@B teardrop camper, size and weight wise, very comparable to the Scamp. I won't take that camper down gravel roads backcountry tho, why I'm looking at the alternatives. We've done our share of tent camping, and still do it, but setting up and taking down every day is PITA. I like the pop top idea. Many moons ago I had a VW Westphalia camper van, really enjoyed that experience (but not to drive!), being able to stop, pop the top and kick back. I see the GFC platform camper being a bit like that. I really like how light it is!

Sponsored

Packer Bill

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-5
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
As I am typing, my wife and youngest daughter towing a 16 foot deluxe Scamp home today. We ordered 1 year ago and were told that it would be a 2 year wait. But we got it in 1 year. Scamp did expand their factory a few months ago so this helped us getting the Scamp sooner. The dry weight of our Scamp is around 2700 lbs. Of course we have the EB with the 4K tow package. The Scamp is our retirement gift to each other...my wife retired a few months ago and I will retiring in a year. If others have any questions about Scamp, I would be glad to answer them.

OP
OP

lumonix

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That is awesome @Packer Bill. The 16 foot seems ideal for two people and when you have a vehicle that can handle the weight. I bet you are going to love it.

GreatWhiteNorth

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Daryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I actally applied for new passport, and when I get it in my hands intend to order the GFC camper topper combo. Checking their website builder gallery, see they've sold at least 6 units to Maverick owners:

Ford Maverick One year living on the road with my Maverick GFC Mavericks_1

OP
OP

lumonix

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I actally applied for new passport, and when I get it in my hands intend to order the GFC camper topper combo. Checking their website builder gallery, see they've sold at least 6 units to Maverick owners:

GFC Mavericks_1.jpg
bottom right is mine. 😍
Sponsored