First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Being the Maverick is built on the same platform as the bronco sport an escape any issues should be resolved before we get our Mavericks that said you never know what could happen a year from now. I had a 2002 Ford Mustang GT that I got in 2001 for 12 years never had a recall. Hopefully we won't see any.
If that were true, then the Bronco Sport shouldn't have had any launch issues because they already had experience with the Escape from the year before, and the 2020 Escape made it onto Consumer Reports "worst used cars of all time" list, with the 2021 Bronco Sport also getting a not recommended worst reliability rating.

They are also starting up a brand new production line in Mexico, not moving from the same platform to another similar one, and Ford said they had just hired and trained a bunch of people for the job so that means some may have never built a car before, yet alone an Escape or Bronco Sport, and so may be learning on the job.

IMO definitely get the extended warranty and plan to keep the vehicle stock for a while and let Ford do all the maintenance for the first year or two and keep detailed records after. If something goes wrong you'll be getting a loaner, but it certainly can be a hassle.

Even Hyundai that is a notable higher quality rating as a brand than Ford hasn't had major recalls but has had people with obvious assembly/quality errors with the first Santa Cruz's off the line. I've also been told from an industry insider that a major brand, not Ford, has started using parts suppliers it has never used before to get around some of the shortages and there are concerns because they don't have a long-time relationship with these smaller companies but its just whoever can promise to deliver X-part within a timeframe is winning the buys now as they can't afford to just have unfinished vehicles sitting around.

So Ford product + Mexico plant + New-hire line workers + 1st year launch + COVID BAU disruption = take all precautions.

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
There's a dealership near me that I'm thinking of ordering from that is offering double your new car warranty. So if anything does pop up I'll be covered for a long time.
Not all warranties are created equal though. Make sure its a Ford warranty and not their own private dealer or third party warranty that may have terms that aren't all that great.

Red Ryder

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XLT Iconic Silver
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

fbov

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape Hybrid
... 2020 Escape made it onto Consumer Reports "worst used cars of all time" list, with the 2021 Bronco Sport also getting a not recommended worst reliability rating.
Add the 2020 Escape to your "worst reliability" rating... but also note that your "worst used cars of all time" is really a list of 100 Used Cars to Avoid Buying. Not terribly exclusive; everyone but Toyota's on it.

As an owner, I wondered at CR's rating of the 2020 Escape,. The problem is that I can't find any data to support it. They just give "reliability" the minimum score. Looking at their detailed ratings makes no sense.
- 2019 has MUCH WORSE THAN AVERAGE for major engine, but overall AVERAGE reliability
- 2020 has BETTER THAN AVERAGE for major engine, but overall MUCH WORSE THAN AVERAGE.

To 30K miles, my worst problem is a MIL for critter damage to a harness. Maybe CR doesn't like the automatic software updates?
Even Hyundai that is a notable higher quality rating as a brand than Ford
But Hyundai cheats. My wife's had one for years. They train owners to give top ratings regardless their opinion. No survey data is valid as a result.

Last edited:

Sponsored

TheGriffin1313

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mongo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mav, 05 M3, 07GSXR
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
There have been 4 recalls issued for the Bronco Sport already. Outside of that, numerous Escape and BS owners complaining of AWFUL paint quality (literally coming off in sheets in some instances).

https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2021/FORD/BRONCO%2520SPORT/SUV/4WD#recalls
Ohhhh crap this does not bode well for the plant that assembles the Maverick
Wrong control arms installed, missing bolts….. what the crap I may lease this truck to start with to see if its worth keeping. I leased my 2019 toyota turd and so glad I did I could wait to get rid of it. I hope they put the Tequila down when they put these Mavericks together🥲

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Add the 2020 Escape to your "worst reliability" rating... but also note that your "worst used cars of all time" is really a list of 100 Used Cars to Avoid Buying. Not terribly exclusive; everyone but Toyota's on it.
It is terribly exclusive. For example, they warn never to buy a 2012 (first model year) Fiat 500, but 2013-19 they do not warn against, so its not like they are painting with a very broad brush. Not all Fords yet alone even all Escapes are on that list, just the new generation. The 2021 Ford Edge for example is in their top recommended vehicles list with high predicted reliability.
As an owner, I wondered at CR's rating of the 2020 Escape,. The problem is that I can't find any data to support it. They just give "reliability" the minimum score. Looking at their detailed ratings makes no sense.
- 2019 has MUCH WORSE THAN AVERAGE for major engine, but overall AVERAGE reliability
- 2020 has BETTER THAN AVERAGE for major engine, but overall MUCH WORSE THAN AVERAGE.
Seems logical to me, they are saying that while you were less likely to have a problem in general with a last generation Escape, they did have engine issues. For the new generation, engine issues were not reported yet but a much higher than average rate of problems in general were, and thus its to be avoided.
But Hyundai cheats. My wife's had one for years. They train owners to give top ratings regardless their opinion. No survey data is valid as a result.
Maybe on customer satisfaction forms the dealer provides, but that's not what consumer reports gets its data from. They give out their own independent surveys to their subscribers to fill out to report what problems they have had this past year. Hyundai can't really influence that, and besides, there are specific model + year Hyundais and Kias on the worst used car list as well.

Mainer500

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 STX, 2016 Ford Fiesta SE
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
To offset my concern with Ford’s reputation, I’m going to buy a Ford extended warranty. Hopefully it’ll just turn out to be a waste of money.
I agree, I always get an extended warranty and like you hope I never need it BUT I have car insurance (hoping I never need it), Home Owners Insurance (again hoping I never need it) a gun safe, a loaded gun on my hip (lots of training too:) and hoping I never need any of them, but in case I do, I’m protected and so will my Wife’s Maverick, to 100k ;)

Falcon first

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3, BMW M235 coupe
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just about every major manufacturer now has plants in Mexico. BMW just built one and it produces the 3 series and the all new 2022 2 series. I’m glad my 2 series was built in Germany but QC and good design may be more important than where its assembled. This is a good reason to have my hybrid delayed so they can work some bugs out of the manufacturing process. All you 2.0 owners can be the guinea pigs for us hybrid owners.

Lone Star Proud

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Been reading post from bronco owners who are having lots of issues with their broncos..
Starting to wonder if it’s best to wait till the kinks get worked out with the Maverick
This is one reason I'm not too disappointed in waiting several months to get my truck. I'd rather not get one of the first bunch off the line but let them work out those production kinks first. Of course, that doesn't rule out design or mechanical flaws.

Sponsored

Zotman

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Lux Hybrid, Focus
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Unless things have changed, one could purchase the Ford Extended Warranties (there are several) anytime during the original warranty period, so might be worthwhile driving a year or two before committing the funds

fbov

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape Hybrid
Maybe on customer satisfaction forms the dealer provides, but that's not what consumer reports gets its data from.
They both get their data from car owners. Biased car owners provide biased data. Forcing responses creates bias. It's as simple as any political campaign.

Reactions: JJC

Snax

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
They both get their data from car owners. Biased car owners provide biased data.
Do you have evidence that car manufactures are forcing owners to provide biased responses to Consumer Reports (or other entities)?

Hack

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Hack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 & 2018 Honda CRV
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Not all warranties are created equal though. Make sure its a Ford warranty and not their own private dealer or third party warranty that may have terms that aren't all that great.
The standard warrantee should get it through infant mortality and early manufacturing issues, right? If I'm still having reliability problems after 3 years/36,ooo miles I'll probably dump it.
Sponsored