Maverick Software Issues / Glitches - List them

DoneThat

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
I love the truck and have no mechanical or drivability issues but there are certainly software glitches that need updating. Below is not a rant, but rather long, showing informative stuff that I've discovered over a few months of ownership. I'm sure all vehicles and especially new releases have a plethora of issues to resolve.

I've connected my XLT 2.0 AWD FX4 Lux Package to Wi-Fi since October with no updates since delivery as shown on about Ford Audio page. This may only reflect audio updates but I'm sure powertrain is OTA updated via 4G modem with no way of knowing.

So my software glitches thus far include in no particular order:
  1. Carplay track doesn't match between main screen and instrument screen (recurring). Main screen is always correct and instrument screen gets stuck on a previous track.
  2. Main screen has wavy lines on Carplay like low resolution compression (occurred a few times). Requires reattaching phone connection to fix (iPhone 13 in particular)
  3. Parking brake failure (recurring instrument cluster message but not an actual problem). Happened one time when opening the driver's door while entering vehicle that was not started.
  4. Auto shifted from Drive (D) to Reverse (R) while driving in D at 50 mph (occurred once with a flashing R and screen saying need slow speed for the change of gears). It didn't actually change modes but acted as though I rotated that knob a full 90 deg and 2 clicks.....um no
  5. Over zealous AEB system that thinks I'm going to crash into a parked vehicle on a windy road with cars parked off the road. I know you can reduce the sensitivity but then Ford claims it may not work as expected or when needed. I can handle this but what about people that freak out with large Red flashing messages and warning chimes when all is well?
  6. Interior ambient lighting user setting is never retained and always resorts to off upon next start cycle
  7. Vehicle claims hands are not on the steering wheel. This has happened to another driver of the vehicle and I personally couldn't get it to show that message unless literally not touching the wheel for over 5 seconds. I suppose the capacitive sensing is not around the whole wheel and no mention that this capability even exists.
  8. Sensors blocked message with a clean windshield in that area

And here is my initial list of unusual programming that I would change or allow a user to set preference:
  1. With Auto Stop/Start enabled, coming home and stopping in the driveway shuts off vehicle in D mode but restarts when I shift into P just before I would shut it off. I have found it's better to enable the parking brake and just turn off key in D where it then auto shifts into P as it has already automatically shut off vehicle. Thinking of simplicity, if people get used to this and forget on another vehicle that works differently........... Cycling the starter when I've parked at home and expect to shift into P is just odd. It knows where we are folks. It's like this logic (IF engine auto stopped AND brake pedal released OR steering wheel rotated OR defrost enabled OR AC enabled OR gear shifter rotated = start engine) with no other logic inputs or scenarios
  2. With that same scenario parking on a sloped driveway, vehicle does not auto shut off when stopped facing the street (backing in) vs. it does auto shut off facing the garage. This may belong in the software glitch section. The tilt sensor is showing the opposite direction but so what.
  3. For HVAC controls, not selecting the face or feet buttons results in air flow going virtually no where or perhaps the windshield but at a lower rate. I guess I'm used to not selecting anything giving equal air flow to all locations.
  4. Windshield airflow selection, or perhaps it's defrost, automatically engages AC without AC indicator lit up. This will waste fuel if not aware so give me the choice or at least the indicator telling me AC is running. Some people will leave this defrost on all winter long driving.
  5. When driven hard with foot to the floor, letting off the accelerator pedal holds the RPM high for almost 1.5 sec after I let go like the throttle is stuck. This is unnerving and not connected to my brain selection. I expect pedal release to show an almost instant reduction in RPM and power.
  6. When manually turning on the bed lighting (XLT Lux package), subsequently locking the vehicle does not turn off the bed lights. I haven't left it long enough to see if it would time out but after a few minutes it was still on. Locking as the last thing I do should be vehicle going to sleep everywhere. This is a core engineering oddity with efficiency being prominent these days.
  7. The obvious ability to disable Auto Stop/Start on 2.0 engines for those that don't want it. I understand why it always enables upon each new start (fuel economy numbers are based upon using that system) but if a user doesn't want it then let them decide like many other vehicles.
  8. The auto stop/start is too aggressive at turning off on a cold engine. It is rough on restarts with supposedly 2 bars of engine temp after a few minutes. I would wait a bit longer for a smoother experience and likely longer engine life
  9. Too many distracting touch clicks on navigation screen just to get rid of overlay stuff and trying to find your position on the map (with Carplay). This all while not actually navigating anywhere but say looking for your location with related traffic. Not having a pinch to zoom in and out and using +/- buttons that are small and in very specific locations is annoying but this is a low cost vehicle. Maybe Lariat with Sync 3 has that.
  10. Not sure the heated seats ever shut off when enabled (longer than 20 min). I would set 15 min max and then have user reenable
Again I'm not hating on the vehicle which is very enjoyable as a whole, just pointing out some things to update Ford. It is not a phone and failure or warning messages are not always well received when nothing is actually wrong and especially while driving. I expect things to improve over time and hopefully all errors are auto uploaded to their servers. Wouldn't we all like to see the hit count on that?

If you feel the need, list your software glitches
Sponsored

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, Ultra Classic, Versa Note and soon to be Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I love the truck and have no mechanical or drivability issues but there are certainly software glitches that need updating. Below is not a rant, but rather long, showing informative stuff that I've discovered over a few months of ownership. I'm sure all vehicles and especially new releases have a plethora of issues to resolve.

I've connected my XLT 2.0 AWD FX4 Lux Package to Wi-Fi since October with no updates since delivery as shown on about Ford Audio page. This may only reflect audio updates but I'm sure powertrain is OTA updated via 4G modem with no way of knowing.

1. Carplay track doesn't match between main screen and instrument screen (recurring). Main screen is always correct and instrument screen gets stuck on a previous track.
  2. Main screen has wavy lines on Carplay like low resolution compression (occurred a few times). Requires reattaching phone connection to fix (iPhone 13 in particular)
  3. Parking brake failure (recurring instrument cluster message but not an actual problem). Happened one time when opening the driver's door while entering vehicle that was not started.
  4. Auto shifted from Drive (D) to Reverse (R) while driving in D at 50 mph (occurred once with a flashing R and screen saying need slow speed for the change of gears). It didn't actually change modes but acted as though I rotated that knob a full 90 deg and 2 clicks.....um no
  5. Over zealous AEB system that thinks I'm going to crash into a parked vehicle on a windy road with cars parked off the road. I know you can reduce the sensitivity but then Ford claims it may not work as expected or when needed. I can handle this but what about people that freak out with large Red flashing messages and warning chimes when all is well?
  6. Interior ambient lighting user setting is never retained and always resorts to off upon next start cycle
  7. Vehicle claims hands are not on the steering wheel. This has happened to another driver of the vehicle and I personally couldn't get it to show that message unless literally not touching the wheel for over 5 seconds. I suppose the capacitive sensing is not around the whole wheel and no mention that this capability even exists.

And here is my initial list of unusual programming that I would change or allow a user to set preference:
  1. With Auto Stop/Start enabled, coming home and stopping in the driveway shuts off vehicle in D mode but restarts when I shift into P just before I would shut it off. I have found it's better to enable the parking brake and just turn off key in D where it then auto shifts into P as it has already automatically shut off vehicle. Thinking of simplicity, if people get used to this and forget on another vehicle that works differently........... Cycling the starter when I've parked at home and expect to shift into P is just odd. It knows where we are folks. It's like this logic (IF engine auto stopped AND brake pedal released OR steering wheel rotated OR defrost enabled OR AC enabled OR gear shifter rotated = start engine) with no other logic inputs or scenarios
  2. With that same scenario parking on a sloped driveway, vehicle does not auto shut off when stopped facing the street (backing in) vs. it does auto shut off facing the garage. This may belong in the software glitch section. The tilt sensor is showing the opposite direction but so what.
  3. For HVAC controls, not selecting the face or feet buttons results in air flow going virtually no where or perhaps the windshield but at a lower rate. I guess I'm used to not selecting anything giving equal air flow to all locations.
  4. Windshield airflow selection, or perhaps it's defrost, automatically engages AC without AC indicator lit up. This will waste fuel if not aware so give me the choice or at least the indicator telling me AC is running. Some people will leave this defrost on all winter long driving.
  5. When driven hard with foot to the floor, letting off the accelerator pedal holds the RPM high for almost 1.5 sec after I let go like the throttle is stuck. This is unnerving and not connected to my brain selection. I expect pedal release to show an almost instant reduction in RPM and power.
  6. When manually turning on the bed lighting (XLT Lux package), subsequently locking the vehicle does not turn off the bed lights. I haven't left it long enough to see if it would time out but after a few minutes it was still on. Locking as the last thing I do should be vehicle going to sleep everywhere. This is a core engineering oddity with efficiency being prominent these days.
  7. The obvious ability to disable Auto Stop/Start on 2.0 engines for those that don't want it. I understand why it always enables upon each new start (fuel economy numbers are based upon using that system) but if a user doesn't want it then let them decide like many other vehicles.
  8. The auto stop/start is too aggressive at turning off on a cold engine. It is rough on restarts with supposedly 2 bars of engine temp after a few minutes. I would wait a bit longer for a smoother experience and likely longer engine life
  9. Too many distracting touch clicks on navigation screen just to get rid of overlay stuff and trying to find your position on the map (with Carplay). This all while not actually navigating anywhere but say looking for your location with related traffic. Not having a pinch to zoom in and out and using +/- buttons that are small and in very specific locations is annoying but this is a low cost vehicle. Maybe Lariat with Sync 3 has that.
  10. Not sure the heated seats ever shut off when enabled (longer than 20 min). I would set 15 min max and then have user reenable
Again I'm not hating on the vehicle which is very enjoyable as a whole, just pointing out some things to update Ford. It is not a phone and failure or warning messages are not always well received when nothing is actually wrong and especially while driving. I expect things to improve over time and hopefully all errors are auto uploaded to their servers. Wouldn't we all like to see the hit count on that?

[/QUOTE
You might have some issues. I have not experienced any if this. As far as your carplay....caraway.... Android Auto is awesome. So much that I have no desire for Sync.

jalbano2

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux, EB , 4k , FX4 , Moonroof
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

You have a lemon.

The Weatherman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux FX4 4K x 2
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

I think on item 7. That the steering-wheel uses resistance against the auto steering movement not a detection of physical contact on the wheel.

Tundra2Maverick(?)

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid Lariat Base Grp 500A
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

I have been in my new Lariat Hybrid Base Trim Pack for just 3 days, and am still learning the "Sync Base" sytem on my truck, (the LUX pack has Sync 3.4). So far, I am experiencing irratic operation of the Audio, Source: USB with a flash drive inserted. Sometimes it recognizes the flash drive; some time not. Others times it stops in the middle of a song and reverts back to FM radio. Currently, I am studying the Manual and searching these Forums for answers. The Forums are much better than the Manual! I will be back on this thread as I learn and experience more.

Sponsored

LIL’ Buddy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT (Luxury, 4K tow, 360)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I think on item 7. That the steering-wheel uses resistance against the auto steering movement not a detection of physical contact on the wheel.
Correct I simulated this for a friend and you are correct.

LIL’ Buddy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT (Luxury, 4K tow, 360)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Platinum2

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Glitch: On models with 4.2" screen, there is no way to reset individual trip meter functions such as trip, avg mpg, etc. despite the owners manual saying this is possible.

OM states that by starting from home screen, select trip meter screen and hit menu button. In the list of options you will find "Reset Individual Values." You won't. What you will find instead is "Reset All Values" despite the fact that this can be done by holding the OK button to reset all values.

If someone knows how to reset individual values, please share.

RobChills

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Maverick XLT FX4 - Area 51, 19' Pacifica LTD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Similar boat as you. I love the truck, but it's in the shop for the parking brake (which is very annoying because it screams "Check Brake system" and alarms at me while in mid turn). This time, I brought it to a different dealer near my house vs.1.5hrs away where it was purchased to see if they'll have any luck with the brake sensor trip. The err message arises more often when it's cold out (~35F and below).
Ford Maverick Maverick Software Issues / Glitches - List them BA36238A-E2FB-4CD2-AE33-9A82EB61CE46_1_105_c

I agree with points 1-3 and 5-7. I have tons of issues with carplay (changed cables 4x incl apple branded, always on latest iOS, different phone...etc), so have reverted to bluetooth mostly.

I can also vouch for the auto stop/start wonkiness when parking, and my driveway is on a downslope towards the garage. I ended up putting some rubber curb/edging as parking blocks/chocks so that I can just drive right up to them without having to feather the brakes and creep with the annoying start/stop.

OP
OP

DoneThat

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
I've had at least one software update that the app mentioned and it seems to have resolved several issues from my original post but nothing is listed so who really knows.

Things that seem to be fixed:
  • Parking brake error hasn't shown up for a month so could be fixed with a less sensitive software setting. I have the larger screen and the message used to say something like return to dealer for parking brake failure so more specific than 'Check brake system'
  • Ambient lighting now retains the previous setting
  • Haven't seen the auto shifting error again (thankfully)
  • Carplay seems improved with no more wavy lines and better sync with cluster display. It does sometimes disconnect and go to radio or not even see the phone for 30 sec when first attached. Leaving it for bit seems to always work. I'm using USB-C to Lightning cable
  • Auto shut off is still weird. Some drives it doesn't even shut off with nothing that could keep it disabled as previously pointed out. Perhaps engine cooling doesn't have a screen message for feedback but I thought there was an electric pump for that scenario.
  • AEB is still ridiculously sensitive. Can't overtake without it saying 'we're all gonna die'
As someone pointed out, the hands on the steering wheel warning is likely force sensing and not capacitive sensing. But the industry has mostly moved to capacitive for improved performance for exactly this issue. This is an affordable vehicle so I get it.

FYI for all those calculating fuel economy with filling up until it auto stops, note that it stops at random points as expected since it is just pressure auto shut off if you have a good seal. Last fill up was over a gallon off and economy showed better than expected rating from previous drives.

So far with 3500 mi and 9 fill ups: average = 26.4 mpg, mean = 25.9 mpg

Above rated mpg so happy

Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
Undecided
Similar boat as you. I love the truck, but it's in the shop for the parking brake (which is very annoying because it screams "Check Brake system" and alarms at me while in mid turn). This time, I brought it to a different dealer near my house vs.1.5hrs away where it was purchased to see if they'll have any luck with the brake sensor trip. The err message arises more often when it's cold out (~35F and below).
BA36238A-E2FB-4CD2-AE33-9A82EB61CE46_1_105_c.jpeg

I agree with points 1-3 and 5-7. I have tons of issues with carplay (changed cables 4x incl apple branded, always on latest iOS, different phone...etc), so have reverted to bluetooth mostly.

I can also vouch for the auto stop/start wonkiness when parking, and my driveway is on a downslope towards the garage. I ended up putting some rubber curb/edging as parking blocks/chocks so that I can just drive right up to them without having to feather the brakes and creep with the annoying start/stop.
Hi there! This doesn't sound like an experience we want you to have with your Maverick. Could you please send us a PM with your VIN and the name and location of your Ford dealer? I'd like to look into this on my end.

Jonny44

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mav XLT,2013 Ford F150 XLT 4x4, 2015 Kia Soul
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The AC turning on for windshield defrost is a standard operation. It uses the evaporator to catch any possible moisture returning to the windshield (it will freeze to the evap) thus allowing drier air to clear the windshield. It doesn't really affect the heat because air passes over the evap before going through the heat exchanger. Nearly all vehicles do this.

Jmav2152

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Mav, 15' KTM 1190 ADV R, 19' Husq TE250i
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The AC turning on for windshield defrost is a standard operation. It uses the evaporator to catch any possible moisture returning to the windshield (it will freeze to the evap) thus allowing drier air to clear the windshield. It doesn't really affect the heat because air passes over the evap before going through the heat exchanger. Nearly all vehicles do this.
I was looking for this. all vehicles still use the AC for defrost.

RobChills

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Maverick XLT FX4 - Area 51, 19' Pacifica LTD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hi there! This doesn't sound like an experience we want you to have with your Maverick. Could you please send us a PM with your VIN and the name and location of your Ford dealer? I'd like to look into this on my end.
Thank you! Will do.