Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Now things are getting interesting! Article suggests design of this is intended to retrofit ICE powered RWD vehicles due to rear facing output driveshaft. Time to start hording all those high mileage mini pickups from the 70's-90's and retrofit for big $ business :cool:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/new...il-an-electric-crate-motor-at-sema/ar-AANxFqT

Ford revealed today on Thursday it will soon offer an electric crate motor for enthusiasts looking to convert their internal combustion projects to fully electric propulsion. Called the Eluminator, it's set to be fully unveiled at SEMA in November.

The company did not reveal any specifics regarding the motor, sharing only three images of the unit's design and its 22-inch length. From what we can tell, it's meant to sit inside a car longitudinally, with an output shaft at the very back.
Sponsored

Eagle11

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 Boxster S, 2018 BMW M5, Ducati's, Suzuki's
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

This is not surprising, I'm betting that for the LCI of the maverick, we will see a Plug-In being an option. This is why I'm leasing this one.

OP
OP
Old Ranchero

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This is not surprising, I'm betting that for the LCI of the maverick, we will see a Plug-In being an option. This is why I'm leasing this one.
not familiar with "LCI", but how old is this current global platform under Escape, Bronco Sport, and Maverick? 3-5 years, or more? I'm guessing there will be a "mid-cycle refresh" at some point where they make provisions fo a plug in hybrid and ultimately full BEV. I would also bet there will be ability to completely retrofit hybrid and ICE powered to full BEV- just sign up at your friendly Ford dealer :cool:

Eagle11

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

not familiar with "LCI", but how old is this current global platform under Escape, Bronco Sport, and Maverick? 3-5 years, or more? I'm guessing there will be a "mid-cycle refresh" at some point where they make provisions fo a plug in hybrid and ultimately full BEV. I would also bet there will be ability to completely retrofit hybrid and ICE powered to full BEV- just sign up at your friendly Ford dealer :cool:
Sorry, LCI is BMW speak for Mid-Life Cycle, there is a plugin Escape, that is why I'm betting in 3 years there will be one for the Maverick.

MaverickAngler

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I’ve got a bmw e30 that would really be awesome with one of these in it. I hope they come out with all the supporting parts you’d need too.

Sponsored

Eagle11

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I’ve got a bmw e30 that would really be awesome with one of these in it. I hope they come out with all the supporting parts you’d need too.
325i or 325is?

2cafn8d

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Monica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1992 Jeep Wrangler, 2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

My dream car is a 67-69 Thunderbird 4 door, but they get eaten up because of Mustang builders wanting the 429. I think it would be pretty rad to do an electric conversion.

Ricstar

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep CJ7
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Wonder if this would fit in a old CJ

Sponsored

mrjspence

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Now things are getting interesting! Article suggests design of this is intended to retrofit ICE powered RWD vehicles due to rear facing output driveshaft. Time to start hording all those high mileage mini pickups from the 70's-90's and retrofit for big $ business :cool:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/new...il-an-electric-crate-motor-at-sema/ar-AANxFqT

Ford revealed today on Thursday it will soon offer an electric crate motor for enthusiasts looking to convert their internal combustion projects to fully electric propulsion. Called the Eluminator, it's set to be fully unveiled at SEMA in November.

The company did not reveal any specifics regarding the motor, sharing only three images of the unit's design and its 22-inch length. From what we can tell, it's meant to sit inside a car longitudinally, with an output shaft at the very back.
I have limited mechanical knowledge but does this mean I could convert our 2004 F150. It only has 72K orig miles. It’s condition is flawless. We don’t drive it much with the big V8 guzzler but it would make an awesome pre-lightening F150

OP
OP
Old Ranchero

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have limited mechanical knowledge but does this mean I could convert our 2004 F150. It only has 72K orig miles. It’s condition is flawless. We don’t drive it much with the big V8 guzzler but it would make an awesome pre-lightening F150
at some point, yes, I would expect you could do just that. I didn't get the impression the motor is only for Ford products either. I posted another article previously on the "DIY" electrified drivetrain kit Chevy is selling based on the Bolt EV architecture.

1 reason (of many) I'm opting for EcoBoost in my Maverick is I expect ICE powered vehicles to become less available, more expensive to own & operate while at the same time EV conversions becoming available and routine. Probably the last ICE powered new car of my lifetime. I'm keeping my low mile Grand Cherokee until it is no longer viable and will likely investigate converting it to EV as well- but enjoy the hell out of it as-is until then :cool: Our 2018 F-150 will also be a candidate...

mrjspence

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
at some point, yes, I would expect you could do just that. I didn't get the impression the motor is only for Ford products either. I posted another article previously on the "DIY" electrified drivetrain kit Chevy is selling based on the Bolt EV architecture.

1 reason (of many) I'm opting for EcoBoost in my Maverick is I expect ICE powered vehicles to become less available, more expensive to own & operate while at the same time EV conversions becoming available and routine. Probably the last ICE powered new car of my lifetime. I'm keeping my low mile Grand Cherokee until it is no longer viable and will likely investigate converting it to EV as well- but enjoy the hell out of it as-is until then :cool: Our 2018 F-150 will also be a candidate...
Yeah we have a Model Y as our primary. Also the old F150 I mentioned. Our EB Mav should be here any day… I’m super happy with our electric car and it saves a lot of money in the long run. But there are limitations still.

OldSoulNewMaverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Kia Soul
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I believe I read that all the EV crate motor allocations have been sold.

WesM

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
At some point maybe, but the crate motor is just one component out of many you would need to do a conversion, like the battery/battery controller. You also have to think that all the stuff running off the alternator/serpentine belt, such as AC and power steering, would need to be powered by the battery now. Its not a simple plug and play setup.
Sponsored