First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Sportrac, 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So, you purchased the aftermarket tailgate softclose device. It works great, until it doesn't. What happens after a few months of opening and closing is that the cable starts to go behind the ball of the actuator when you close the tailgate. Then, when you go to open again it gets stuck and the tailgate does not fully open. The rubber will start to rub off the cable as well. For $1.98 and a few minutes of work, you can fix it yourself. I got a rubber stopper at Lowes just large than the ball of the actuator (that's the $1.98 part of this). I then drilled out the inside and cut a slit in the side. I pushed it over the ball and put a black zip tie on it to ensure it stays in place. That's it, it now works perfectly again and the cable "does not" got behind the rubber cap. I'm sure you geniuses have a 3-D printed "do-dad" that will do the same thing, but I don't so here's my fix...

Ford Maverick Tailgate soft close fix t1
Ford Maverick Tailgate soft close fix T2
Ford Maverick Tailgate soft close fix T3
Ford Maverick Tailgate soft close fix T4
Ford Maverick Tailgate soft close fix T5
Ford Maverick Tailgate soft close fix T6

Ford Maverick Tailgate soft close fix T3
Sponsored

Zackmix2020

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 ford maverick 2.0
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Where did you buy your tailgate assist from ?

OP
OP
KHut

KHut

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Sportrac, 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Got it online, aftermarket. It was about $50 I think. Works great, until... Now works great again. It should have already been there, especially on the Lariat, But, it was easy to install.

Clarkdonbran

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So, you purchased the aftermarket tailgate softclose device. It works great, until it doesn't. What happens after a few months of opening and closing is that the cable starts to go behind the ball of the actuator when you close the tailgate. Then, when you go to open again it gets stuck and the tailgate does not fully open. The rubber will start to rub off the cable as well. For $1.98 and a few minutes of work, you can fix it yourself. I got a rubber stopper at Lowes just large than the ball of the actuator (that's the $1.98 part of this). I then drilled out the inside and cut a slit in the side. I pushed it over the ball and put a black zip tie on it to ensure it stays in place. That's it, it now works perfectly again and the cable "does not" got behind the rubber cap. I'm sure you geniuses have a 3-D printed "do-dad" that will do the same thing, but I don't so here's my fix...

t1.jpg
T2.jpg
T3.jpg
T4.jpg
T5.jpg
T6.jpg

T3.jpg
I will be on the lookout for this happening now. Thanks!

Sponsored

junyor

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hi, I installed my tailgate assist with the damper in the upper side and the arm to the bottom, I noticed you installed it the other way, maybe that's why you were having the issue, Mine is working fine after 2 months of use.

Chris_G

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C-6 Corvette
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hi, I installed my tailgate assist with the damper in the upper side and the arm to the bottom, I noticed you installed it the other way, maybe that's why you were having the issue, Mine is working fine after 2 months of use.
Damn, good catch!

Chris_G

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C-6 Corvette
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

bbhaag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT, Mustang Mach-E GT Performance
Engine
Undecided
Yep, I also have it installed the correct way and it is not showing any signs of wear like the OP is experiencing. I installed it on January 26th two day after I purchased the Mav.

Sponsored

Gullzway

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 Ford Mustang Fastback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This is from the Amazon page.

Ford Maverick Tailgate soft close fix DEEZEE

bbhaag