Sponsored

How will FWD Maverick do in snow / winter?

Mark_k

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F450
I was looking at the Maverick today. If I went with the base model, plain Jane, how would it do in the snow being FWD? Live in Kentucky, so winters can be hit or miss. I looked at the AWD version, but that was getting me close to a SR Tacoma price. What are you all doing? Thanks.
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc

kingranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ford.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
FWD will handle better than RWD, but neither will get up and go as well as AWD on slippery roads. However, being able to stop is the most important part of winter driving, and stopping all comes down to good tires. So if you can swing a FWD and a dedicated set of winter tires, that may be the good middle ground.

MarcusBrody

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Transit Connect, BMW 318ti
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have driven fwd cars in PA/New England winters for many years. I'm a skier so I spent a lot of time driving in the snow. You will be absolutely fine in Kentucky with FWD unless you live way up in the mountains on a steep hill with a momentum killing bend.

In the snowy Northeast I had a second set of wheels with snow tires. I'd take snow tires over AWD (though obviously In KY, I wouldn't bother. I'd just get a set of all seasons with the three snowflake designation if whatever was stock wasn't enough after trying it for the winter (the Michelin Crossclimates I have on my car now are supposed to be great in the snow for an All season tire, but I moved to the desert so I can't really give direct feedback).

Dan_E26

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Focus, 2018 Sonata SEL
FWD in the snow is perfectly fine as long as your tires are good enough. In KY, you will be more than covered by a good set of all-seasons. Remember that AWD will only help you get moving if your front wheels are slipping. AWD will not help you steer and it will not help you stop in bad traction conditions.

Keynotes13

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mathew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Matrix
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Living in New England I’ve only had FWD vehicles. Never had trouble in the snow beside there being 6” of fresh snow on the streets. Still made it home but had to go super slow. Like said before, unless mountains are involved you will be just fine. And even then, all my cars weigh much less than the Maverick. Add some sand bags and winter tires and it’ll get the job done

Sponsored

theek

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CR-V, Subaru CrossTrek
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Nokian has a tire that fits the Maverick that's a summer-rated winter tire, at least for the Great White North.

Good snow tires, like those from Nokian, make a crossover-like FWD or AWD vehicle a beast in the snow.

OP
OP

Mark_k

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F450
I currently drive a Corolla, so familiar with the FWD. I just wasn’t sure how’d it’d be in a truck.

Xtreme Thunder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Toyota
I have never had an issue with my FWD 2007 Honda Civic Si Sedan in NY winters. I daily drove that from 2007 to 2018 before I retired it to nice weather driving only. I always ran dedicated winter tires (a second set on steelies I'd swap out from November to April) on all 4 wheels and was a beast in the snow. The only thing holing it back was the expected ground clearance of a sedan when the snow got above the bottom of the front bumper. I got my 2019 Tacoma 10/2018 and it has been super annoying during winter switching back and forth between 2WD/4HI wen going through town just after a snow event. Can't turn sharp with 4HI as the system binds. I'll never buy another truck without an Auto T-Case otherwise opt for a CUV based truck like the Maverick for AWD duty. With that said, I am seeking out AWD equipped Maverick.

If you are seriously considering a Tacoma, and not off-roading or needing to tow around 5,000lbs - 6,000lbs, I suggest you rent one for a couple weeks if you can. It has many negative nuances about it that I found out after 2.5 years. I don't off-road much, and it's existing powertrain V6 and 6AT (even 6MT) offering is extremely frustrating for daily driving. Driver fatigue is also a real thing with them in my experience. In addition, it is V6 with V8 fuel economy. They do have fantastic resale and aftermarket support and its size is decent, except for rear seat legroom (if important) where the Maverick has 4.3" greater than my DCSB Tacoma.

Ford Maverick How will FWD Maverick do in snow / winter? 2022-Ford-Maverick-P758-Owners-Manual-version-1_om_EN-US_07_2021

FirstOnRaceDay

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
I ALWAYS recommend getting snow tires vs AWD. (Typically cheaper) Continental Viking contact W/T is what Ford recommends. $600-$700 installed. They make a MASSIVE difference

Buzzard

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback
Another skier here. My buddy would have to put his Jeep Cherokee in 4WD to get out of our parking lot. My Chevy Caprice station wagon had a limited-slip differential with studded snow tires. I'd slip it in gear and off I'd go. I also had a 2WD Isuzu pick up. Two sands bags over the wheels all winter long and never got stuck. It has a lot to do with how you drive. Winter in Vermont teaches you how.

Sponsored

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
FWD will handle better than RWD, but neither will get up and go as well as AWD on slippery roads. However, being able to stop is the most important part of winter driving, and stopping all comes down to good tires. So if you can swing a FWD and a dedicated set of winter tires, that may be the good middle ground.
Big believer in winter tires!

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Living in New England I’ve only had FWD vehicles. Never had trouble in the snow beside there being 6” of fresh snow on the streets. Still made it home but had to go super slow. Like said before, unless mountains are involved you will be just fine. And even then, all my cars weigh much less than the Maverick. Add some sand bags and winter tires and it’ll get the job done
One front wheel drive you don’t want sand bags in the rear, it takes weight off the drive wheels for less traction.

motoretro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subie
I plan on a FWD w/ 2.0 and live in Michigan. I grew up on RWD in the snow and personally like this better than FWD as if you lose traction, it's not at the steering end. My plan since I don't want AWD is to go w/ a premium Winter tire. It's unbelievable how much better season designated tires are on ice and snow.

FirstOnRaceDay

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
I plan on a FWD w/ 2.0 and live in Michigan. I grew up on RWD in the snow and personally like this better than FWD as if you lose traction, it's not at the steering end. My plan since I don't want AWD is to go w/ a premium Winter tire. It's unbelievable how much better season designated tires are on ice and snow.
ohioan here. I love RWD In the snow. No issues. I turn off my traction control in it because (HOON) but also the system just cuts fuel. So I just won’t move at all

Mike

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Ranger F350’s
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I got about 500lbs in my RWD truck bed and it does ok. Unloaded it’s a disaster.

if choosing between AWD with stock tires and FWD with good Winter tires would go FWD/Winter tires for sure.
Sponsored