Scout

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Has any hybrid owner taking theirs in the snow? If so how did it handle?
Sponsored

brnpttmn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I just did about 15 miles of city driving this afternoon after about 3 inches of fluffy snow this morning/early afternoon. The mav handled great on the snow covered roads. Solid traction and stability. the traction is much better than my Corolla (which has always been good). I imagine it's because a higher proportion of the weight is over the front tires. Slippery mode helps a fair bit with starting from a stop. I was also impressed with the stopping. Had a couple stops at the bottoms of hills and didn't have any slippage.

New2AZ

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic EX Hatchback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Not anticipating much snow here in Phoenix, but nice to know it handles itself well in the white stuff should I venture north in the colder months!

8211badger

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
honda fit
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Well since I'm stilllll waiting my trusty fit tackled the 4ish inches plus wintry mix we got in WI yesterday and today. Handled the roads like a champ as usual. I do have wrg4s tho. All things equal the Mav will be way better just from the clearance alone.

8211badger

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
honda fit
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I just did about 15 miles of city driving this afternoon after about 3 inches of fluffy snow this morning/early afternoon. The mav handled great on the snow covered roads. Solid traction and stability. the traction is much better than my Corolla (which has always been good). I imagine it's because a higher proportion of the weight is over the front tires. Slippery mode helps a fair bit with starting from a stop. I was also impressed with the stopping. Had a couple stops at the bottoms of hills and didn't have any slippage.
Nice. Surprising considering the oem tires. I'm planning on going with the Crossclimate2 for next winter. Congrats on the new truck!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Well since I'm stilllll waiting my trusty fit tackled the 4ish inches plus wintry mix we got in WI yesterday and today. Handled the roads like a champ as usual. I do have wrg4s tho. All things equal the Mav will be way better just from the clearance alone.
thanks for the post! I’m coming from a Outback Subaru . We got around 7 inches of snow the other night, which yes to most northern states that’s not much, but in Seattle we have a lot of hills, so traction is important!

8211badger

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
honda fit
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
thanks for the post! I’m coming from a Outback Subaru . We got around 7 inches of snow the other night, which yes to most northern states that’s not much, but in Seattle we have a lot of hills, so traction is important!
That is alot for Seattle! Even around here most people are waiting for the plows when that much comes down overnight. If you live where you dont get reliable plowing and absolutely need to be out that's where tires plus awd is probably a necessity. Steep hills too for sure. Even still with snow tires I bet a hybrid would be just fine up to 7 or 8 inches. Obv knowing what you're doing too

brnpttmn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Nice. Surprising considering the oem tires. I'm planning on going with the Crossclimate2 for next winter. Congrats on the new truck!
Thanks! I'm also surprised that the OEMs are decent. On my corrola they were useless. From tire rack ratings, these tires appear to be very similar to the tires I currently have on the corrola.

8211badger

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
honda fit
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks! I'm also surprised that the OEMs are decent. On my corrola they were useless. From tire rack ratings, these tires appear to be very similar to the tires I currently have on the corrola.
Def good to know

Doxie_Mommy2

First Name
Kayla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord & Subaru Forester
Thanks so much for sharing!!! I’ve been nervous about how it will handle in the snow. Our truck is scheduled to be built Jan 13th. Next winter I’m going to get snow tires.

Sponsored

Starwatcher

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
RICHARD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Not anticipating much snow here in Phoenix, but nice to know it handles itself well in the white stuff should I venture north in the colder months!
Worst place up north on the roads is Flagstaff, I-17. That said, never had a problem up in Pinetop/Show low area. 7,000 feet high and lots of snow.

S-McG

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid Lariot Lux, (2023 on order)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My Hybrid-2023-Maverick order is not yet even scheduled. However I can make this comment about snow handling, and hybrids in general:

I own a 2014 Prius, (I'm original owner). Prius's handle rather badly on both snow and ice.

The Maverick hybrid and the Toyota Prius hybrid have extremely similar engines, electric motor-generators and PSD (power sharing device).

(The PSD is not really a CVT at all , even though both Ford and Toyota say that the PSD is a CVT. The PSD [both ford and Toyota] there is no rotational ratio changing mechanism. Rather the PSD is a SLIP device, that has more in common with a propeller-impeller fluid slip method).

If I may digress.(comparing Prius and Maverick).....

Ford and Toyota for some ten years plus, have entered into a broad patent and technology sharing arrangement. Some of Ford's improvements are in the new 2020-2022 Prius's, such as an improved arrangement of the two motor generators being physically mounted to the PSD in a more parallel mechanical layout,

Even though the "more parallel mechanical layout" of the motor generators to the PSD, is the case with Ford and now in later model Prius's, the actual function of the two motor generators is still a series-parallel torque function, as like the Prius has always been going back to the generation-1 Prius to present Gen-5.

The reason that this new physical arrangement is so much better. is that if you ever need motor-generator or PSD replaced, it is now WAY easier (lower man hours needed) to do that repair.

In a 2014 Prius, almost any repair of the motor generators or PSD require the entire engine-motors-PSD assembly be pulled out to do the work on the bench. The labor to pull the whole power assembly out, and put it back in the vehicle, is over $5000, and 4 days (and that's not yet costing in the repair of what's broken)

now un-digressing...

Back to snow, why some folks report the Maverick Hybrids handle well in snow?
It is logical to expect the Maverick to handle much better in snow than a prius, even though the drive trains are nearly identical in configuration.

Also both the Prius and Ford Maverick Hybrids have very similar electronics and anti-lock braking and traction control.

The significant difference between a Prius (My 2014 Prius curb weight is 3050 lbs), and the Maverick (curb weight 3600 lbs), is ground clearance, size of wheels-&-tires, and tire-pressure.

That (1) HIGHER ground clearance, (2) BIGGER size of wheels-&-tires, and (3) LOWER tire-pressure, of the Ford Maverick (versus a Prius) make it a way better general purpose vehicle. The Maverick (versus a Prius) has a much better and broader, use-case, for most owners. A Prius has a decent use-case ONLY for commuting-use on easy smooth roads.

One last digression (comparing Prius and Maverick)...
My 2014 Prius has a "B" setting on the gear shiftier for electric braking (regenerate the battery via braking) to be more intensive. The Ford Maverick does not have that "B"-mode. Its nice to engage that from time to time on long steep downhills.

The Ford Maverick rather does have "S" sport-mode that keeps the gasoline engine (ICE) powered ON. Between the two power-train behavior features... I'd rather have sport-mode, if I could only have one of the two features.

Overall, the Prius will get a marginal better gasoline mileage than the Ford Maverick. But the Ford Maverick wins out on use-case massively. I cant prove this.. but i expect the maverick to be easier and cheaper to repair. Prius's don't break down a lot.. but you hate Toyota inc, when they do break down, and you have to pay for those expensive repairs, that wreck any money you save on gasoline expense.

My Prius has 17 airbags, to try to keep you alive in an substantial accident. The Ford Maverick has but a fraction of that airbag count.. as it needs less of them (that's a good thing). The 2014 Prius has a nasty ride like a tiny overloaded truck, and the drivers display is in the center (which sucks), to make it cheaper for Toyota to make them for left or right hand driving markets. The extreme sloped windshield of the Prius.. i may save you $25 dollars of gasoline in 12 months.. but it has so many other undesirable downsides.

I have driven the Ford Maverick hybrid (even though my order is not yet scheduled) , it is way nicer on your butt, on any street bumps. And the controls feel considerably better for steering and acceleration. Both hybrids brake OK, with the maverick just a tine bit better.

If both vehicle's were available to buy at the same price.. the Maverick should be the easy winner.

By the way, in less than 1 year of purchasing the Prius.. the Toyota dealer, on their own authority, without even asking me, at an oil change, re-programmed the engine control computer to reduce gas-mileage, as to make the battery last longer.

Of course I'm happy that the battery may last longer.. but the bigger story is Toyota false advertising a FAKE mileage-spec number to lure in new vehicle buyers. Does US-DOT sue Toyota? Nope . they let them get away with it.

Last edited:

VBMav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.theveteranscheck.com
Vehicle(s)
2012 Chevy Sonic; 2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Here in southern Indiana we've had rain turning to snow during a period when the temp dropped from 45 to about 5 in one afternoon a couple of days ago. The next day it was below 0 most of the day. I had to get the Mav out during all of that and it did great with the OEM tires. The temps are still below freezing and we will have 1 to 3 more inches of snow tomorrow on top of the snow and ice already on the ground and roads.

I got a pair of Bridgeston Blizzack DM V2 tires installed on the front yesterday and they seem to do great. I will be driving tomorrow during and after the snow so I'll get a better feel for how the new snow tires do. Yes, I used slippery mode. My Mav is an XLT Hybrid so I only have front wheel drive.

Snowbird

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CRV 2018
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I do not have my XL Hybrid yet but how it handles in the snow will be entirely dependent on what tires are on it. With brand new all season tires probably fair to poor. Put on four good snow tires and it being front wheel drive I suspect it will handle quit well.

bajesus8

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 Civic LX, 09 Camry Hybrid, 22 Mav Hybd Lrt Lux
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I have those stock Michelin primacy tires and have been delivering pizzas in the snow/ice all week. Been getting around great, I been purposely sliding myself around narrow streets/intersections/hills in -8 degree weather enjoying that ABS brake stabbing music :). I guess once you find the limits with those tires you can start to have some fun. I did use slippery mode.
Sponsored

Last edited: