Sponsored

How will the hybrid front wheel drive handle in snow ???

Bushpilot

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Volt
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
FWD works fine for me with snow tires. AWD/4WD does nothing for braking. The right tires help with stopping as well as going.
Sponsored

bradFORD

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Doesn't matter if you have AWD or FWD on ICE! I have had 4x4 for years but I was really surprised how my wife's FWD vehicles did in the snow. If the roads have not be plowed of snow then you will probably need AWD or 4WD especially on steep slopes.

8211badger

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
honda fit
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What kind of snow tires does everyone that mentions getting them suggest? I'm all for spending extra if it means better quality too.
If you live in the north and do a lot of driving on fresh snow, packed snow or rural areas get a full on snow tire. Blizzak, X-Ice, or Hakkas (my choice). If you live in a place the streats get plowed and you dont absolutely need to be out something like a WRG4 (my winter choice) or CrossClimate2 is better imo.

chrisebarks

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT 2.0 AWD 4K
My father makes a face every time I mention the front wheel drive on my Maverick. But I am getting snow tires, and I had a front wheel drive car before and it handled ok. But I live in a city in Northern Michigan, so roads are pretty good. I just have to get out of my subdivision to get to plowed streets. I'm thinking I'll be just fine.
Yeah my father in law is the same. So stupid, he knows it only makes you accelerate and gives you false confidence. It's not a huge deal really. I winter drove my mustang gt with no issues. A pair of winter tires trump's all wheel drive and all/no season tires any day of the week.

Tking

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 Subaru Legacy Outback & '86 F250 4x4 6.9 idi
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I drove a RWD Ford Aerostar with snow rated all season tires with extra siping in a rural snowy area for years and it did great. Only ever chained up once.

I now live in the high desert where we might have only a dozen or two days where traction is a possible issue. I'm considering the same type of tire with extra siping for my Maverick.

Sponsored

Mlcerb

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I live in Maine and agree that the tires and some weight should make a big difference. I am putting 4 studded winter tires on and then adding weight in the front of the bed.
[/QUOTE
How much weight would you put in? Should you put the weight evenly on each side or in the middle?

snowcatxx87

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1290SDR EVO / Tiger 900RP / 300cc Grom / Surron
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Answer: Real Winter tires, not all-season and you're fine. My current daily is a front wheel drive, and with winters, only one day I couldn't get out of my driveway and that was because of ground clearance - it just sat on the snow. With the Maverick, it will be even harder to get it stuck. Look at the difference on an Ice-Rink:

I have Michelin X-Ice Snow SUV swapping the OEM rims. Will get a different summer set up.

BoxxerDad@50

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Built 2023 XLT hybrid, sold MY23Lariat,MY22XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I believe the FWD will handle the snow well. The hybrid is a bigger heavier engine which will aid in the traction. This being said for normal wintery roads, not Off road driving

es7129

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Answer: Real Winter tires, not all-season and you're fine. My current daily is a front wheel drive, and with winters, only one day I couldn't get out of my driveway and that was because of ground clearance - it just sat on the snow. With the Maverick, it will be even harder to get it stuck. Look at the difference on an Ice-Rink:

I have Michelin X-Ice Snow SUV swapping the OEM rims. Will get a different summer set up.

By comparison here’s the CrossClimate2 test results. Not exactly apples to apples as they increased the braking testing speed to 12mph from 10 shown above.

Ford Maverick How will the hybrid front wheel drive handle in snow ??? CF82AE1C-34A4-4072-BF4B-B7AACB0E7372

Nokian also provided similar testing but comparing their tires at 25mph:

Last edited:
Sponsored

Spiffster

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion Energi
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have owned a RWD manual bimmer in Colorado with a set of snows on it and it was fine. I was weaving around traffic on the worst snow days because people simply cant drive in the snow. AWD helps but its not gonna make up for poor skills and lack of proper tires. My FWD Fusion is an absolute beast in the snow and ice. Got a FWD Hybrid on order... zero worries here.

JohnHartshorn

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Toyota Sienna XSE - Mav Hybrid XLT LUX Area 51
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My only experience with FWD before was with a 1999 Chevrolet Venture van and it did quite well in the snow with all-season tires. WIth the weight of the engine on the front axle, it digs in just fine. Just take your time and no high-speed cornering or quick stops.

Wx Man

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Hendricus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Toyota FJ
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I am thinking of putting two or three hundred pounds in evenly near the front of the bed. These would do the trick:

pgstick02

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, 2006 Mazda MX5, 1973 Super Beetle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
A vehicle is only as good as its tires, you get tires that do poorly thats how it will be.

I always make sure to have tires that do decent in bad conditions and I have never had an issue in the snow. Even my 2016 VW GTI does good in the snow.

I only ever had front wheel drive aside from my vintage beetle which just natually is beast in the snow. The maverick when it finally arrives will be my first AWD but still rings true. Tires make all the difference on the road.

psklenar

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rivian R1T
As noted to the left, I live in New England and see my share of snow. I've had two FWD cars over the years and never had a problem as long as I had the ground clearance. ;)

pat----
Sponsored