First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ford Ranger
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Having heard horror stories of CVT transmissions (namely early Nissan), I am curious what to think about the hybrid CVT. At 2K towing, it meets my criteria the extra MPG is always nice. HOWEVER, I do not admittedly know much about this specific version and how reliable it might be. Anyone have thoughts?

I heard from the TFL video it is the same as the Escape Hybrid - does anyone have one or know about and care to share?
Sponsored

FirstOnRaceDay

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
Having heard horror stories of CVT transmissions (namely early Nissan), I am curious what to think about the hybrid CVT. At 2K towing, it meets my criteria the extra MPG is always nice. HOWEVER, I do not admittedly know much about this specific version and how reliable it might be. Anyone have thoughts?

I heard from the TFL video it is the same as the Escape Hybrid - does anyone have one or know about and care to share?
it is an ECVT not CVT. (Confusing I know) BUT.
how transmission work crash course.

Automatics -use planetary gear sets to change the ratio. The “planet” gears move, that’s 1 ratio. The planet gears stop that’s another. And a hydronic solenoid controls the gears. On/off.

CVT uses two cones and a chain belt to change the gears. Eww.

ECVT uses the same system as an automatic but instead of a on/off solenoid controlling the planet gears, an electric motor (hybrid) turns the planet gears at different speeds giving you all the ratios.

that’s why the escape/ Maverick hybrid has a smaller motor (~50hp) vs the F150 (~100hp) which uses a normal auto transmission with the electric motor added to the end.

Bmr4mav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Lux Hybrid 23
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sponsored