Sponsored

Hybrid Pedestrian Alert Noise (Reverse/Drive)

Status
Not open for further replies.

YOBY

First Name
Yoby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RAV 4 / 2022 Maverick Lariat
I do! I hate people... I hope the person i run over kicked a puppy once, Karma's a b!tch! :LOL:
I have no dog in this race, but you are saying things that are a matter of record and if for some reason you are required to go to court, you can be sure you'll see this post in court.
Sponsored

Nightowl

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The OP wants a quieter vehicle because he writes in his own words "not wanting to disturb my apartment complex super late at night." This sounds like a considerate person to me. If you want to argue the other side, can you do it in a civil manner that doesn't cast the OP as having murderous tendencies?

LeersMav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Maximus GP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PriusV, Sonata PHEV, F-50 Mavrick Lariat Hybrid FE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
@
Has anybody looked into disabling the Hybrid noise that emits from the truck when in drive or reverse? I’ve found videos of Hybrid F150’s being modded to disable them

I think it’d be the same for the Maverick Hybrid. Has anybody successfully done this already?
Not sure if this fits, but Owners Manual page 240 talks about the Cross Traffic Alert and starting on page 243 is Pre-Collision Assist. There are instructions on both how to disable or change the status or mode.

In reverse, that funny noise can not be disabled. It's even louder outside the cabin (my friends said WHAT WAS THAT?!!!! hehe).

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The OP wants a quieter vehicle because he writes in his own words "not wanting to disturb my apartment complex super late at night." This sounds like a considerate person to me. If you want to argue the other side, can you do it in a civil manner that doesn't cast the OP as having murderous tendencies?
🤦‍♂️

That has no basis in reality. Try again.

Sponsored

fbov

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape Hybrid
Funny no one's mentioned the financial reason an owner would never want to disable a car's safety devices. If your insurance company finds out, and decides it's relevant, your claim may be denied, and the ambulance chasers will be assessing your personal worth.

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
In my 30+ years as a driver, I can think of no occasions when I almost ran over an impaired pedestrian but was saved only by the noise my vehicle was making.
I don't want to get snarled up in this noise argument. I just want to mention that that's not a very good way to estimate the probability of a car-pedestrian accident.

I'm guessing you drive maybe 15,000 miles a year. It could be half that, or three times that, but it wouldn't matter. Because people in the United States drive over 3000 trillion miles a year. That's 3,000,000,000,000 miles for those who want to see the zeros.

One person's personal experience -- yours or mine -- just isn't statistically significant. You need more data. For example, this NHTSA report from 2015 says about 12,000 people were injured in non-traffic backover accidents that year and another 15,000 were hit by forward moving vehicles.

Hope4jsl

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat Lux Ecoboost
I understand the need for some kind of noise when backing up, but why does it have to be so loud and annoying? When compared to the sound a gas engine makes when backing up, it's pretty annoying. Are they going to add this to gas vehicles next? After all, it would be safer. Where does it end?

I would just be happy if they would lower the volume by a few decibels. My wife drives a 21 Escape Hybrid and I hate it for that reason. When she backs out of the driveway in the morning, I can hear it all over the house, so I know my neighbors can hear it. Maybe the maverick is quieter than her Escape...

That was one of the reasons I decided to get the Ecoboost Maverick instead of the Hybrid (one of many reasons). I just couldn't stand the thought of that noise. I plan on using a small trailer and having to back into places sometimes. I actually thought of that noise announcing to everyone around me how poor I am at backing up a trailer, I know I will get better at backing up a trailer, but I don't think I ever get used to the backup sound.

Nightowl

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I don't want to get snarled up in this noise argument. I just want to mention that that's not a very good way to estimate the probability of a car-pedestrian accident.

I'm guessing you drive maybe 15,000 miles a year. It could be half that, or three times that, but it wouldn't matter. Because people in the United States drive over 3000 trillion miles a year. That's 3,000,000,000,000 miles for those who want to see the zeros.

One person's personal experience -- yours or mine -- just isn't statistically significant. You need more data. For example, this NHTSA report from 2015 says about 12,000 people were injured in non-traffic backover accidents that year and another 15,000 were hit by forward moving vehicles.
I can see how my statement about my personal driving history could be seen as a way to as you put it, "estimate the probability of a car-pedestrian accident." I did not say this and was not trying to insinuate this either. I am sorry I came across this way. I was not trying to downplay the occurrence of car-pedestrian accidents just because I have never been involved in one.

Studies by the NHTSA and governments around the world agree that artificial-noise-producing EV's and hybrids reduce the chance of car-pedestrian accidents. I don't dispute the NHTSA findings or take issue with the government mandates. I have no plans to try to silence my still-undelivered Maverick when it arrives.

YOBY

First Name
Yoby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RAV 4 / 2022 Maverick Lariat
@

Not sure if this fits, but Owners Manual page 240 talks about the Cross Traffic Alert and starting on page 243 is Pre-Collision Assist. There are instructions on both how to disable or change the status or mode.

In reverse, that funny noise can not be disabled. It's even louder outside the cabin (my friends said WHAT WAS THAT?!!!! hehe).

Called my dealer and asked why my Hybrid doesn't provide a warning when backing up. His words are, would you like noise or a wide angle rear view camera so you can decide weather to back up or hope a pedestrian can figure out what's that awful noise?

Sponsored

gstiglitz

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The odds of backing over an idiot walking behind your truck while looking at their phone is anything but astronomical.

Save lives and injuries by keeping the backup beep on.
Anything but astronomical? Would like to see facts on someone being run over while backing up.

n0maverick

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tiguan, 2022 Maverick, 2013 Escape
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Don't understand what fuss is about. Seems fine to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.