First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I installed Morrel Maximo 6 in the front, and Morrel Maximo Coax 4 in the rear and now I can hear the engine through the front speakers under acceleration. I used the harnesses from Metra so I did not cut into any factory wiring. I used quality oxygen free pure copper wiring from the Morrel crossovers to the woofers. I can not figure out why I can now hear my engine in my speakers. Does anyone have any ideas?
Sponsored

BootXL76

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL
And youā€™re just running off factory signal? Does the engine noise ā€œrev upā€ as you do?

howā€™d you wire the wire the crossovers (I.E. Whereā€™s your signal splitting off)? Like door single coming in then running to 6.5s and tweeter from there?

also what are your settings at on the crossover (0 db, +3db, etcā€¦?

OP
OP

RabidAntiDentite

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yes running off factory head unit. The sound does increase as I increase the revs, sounds like turbo spooling, but pretty sure itā€™s alternator whine.
I did not see any adjustments on the crossovers.

BootXL76

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL
If itā€™s off the stock signal, the only thing that makes sense to me is the crossoversā€¦. Where do you have them mounted?

Red Ryder

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XLT Iconic Silver
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It would be interesting whether it is both or just one of the fronts. You might try putting it in the condition where it is whining and move the balance full left and right.

Sponsored

OP
OP

RabidAntiDentite

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Well I think I win some kind of award. I ran a power wire through the black grommet on the drivers side fire wall, and it was not in all the way. So it was pure engine noise coming in through that.

on another note, 7 pieces of Kilmat on the hood really makes a difference.

BootXL76

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL
Well I think I win some kind of award. I ran a power wire through the black grommet on the drivers side fire wall, and it was not in all the way. So it was pure engine noise coming in through that.

Oh so you are running an ampā€¦. Thatā€™s funny tho, I never wouldā€™ve thought it was because the grommet wasnā€™t all the way back in šŸ˜‚

OP
OP

RabidAntiDentite

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yeah just a small powered 8ā€ sub under the drivers seat. Amazing that the small grommet let so much noise in. But I think the turbo is on the firewall side of the engine, so it would be close to where that grommet goes.

Red Ryder

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XLT Iconic Silver
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Glad you found the issue!
Well now that we're here, how does the system sound overall? You like the Morels?

PNWMaverick

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yeah just a small powered 8ā€ sub under the drivers seat. Amazing that the small grommet let so much noise in. But I think the turbo is on the firewall side of the engine, so it would be close to where that grommet goes.
If it's like the Flex the turbo is shoved up by the firewall. Ya know, where it's easy to replace............

Sponsored

Mymaverick2021

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steveo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I installed Morrel Maximo 6 in the front, and Morrel Maximo Coax 4 in the rear and now I can hear the engine through the front speakers under acceleration. I used the harnesses from Metra so I did not cut into any factory wiring. I used quality oxygen free pure copper wiring from the Morrel crossovers to the woofers. I can not figure out why I can now hear my engine in my speakers. Does anyone have any ideas?
Don't mess with Mother Nature šŸ¤£

OP
OP

RabidAntiDentite

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Glad you found the issue!
Well now that we're here, how does the system sound overall? You like the Morels?
They are nice. Made a huge difference in the sound quality. I kept the factory tweeters in the dash and mounted the Morel tweeters to the side view mirror covers.

Nightowl

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Just to clarify, you used kilmat to cut down on engine noise entering the cabin? How significant a difference does it make and could you post a couple photos? Thanks much!

OP
OP

RabidAntiDentite

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yeah, I am out of town but will post some at the end of the week. I personally think that it made a significant difference in the sound. There are about 10 recesses around the center of the hood, so I cut pieces to fill those. Then I removed the windshield wiper spray hoses and placed full sheets starting in the center of the hood. I basically did two rows, each with 3 full sheets, and 1 sheet was used to cut the shapes to fill the recesses.
I also put kilmat on the front doors and door panels. I reached as much of the inside of the door shell as I could with the speaker out. Each door panel probably got 2 sheets as well.
Sponsored