First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I apologize if this has been asked already, but do any of the tonneau covers lock? I was going to get the tri-fold, but if it doesn't lock, I don't see a point to buying one with my build. After reading through some topics here, it looks like going with an aftermarket tonneau cover will be the best move.
Sponsored

kingranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ford.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I know for certain that the soft roll-up and tri-fold will be locked as long as the tailgate is closed. The latch is accessed from inside the bed.

OP
OP
dicchicora

dicchicora

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I know for certain that the soft roll-up and tri-fold will be locked as long as the tailgate is closed. The latch is accessed from inside the bed.
Thank you for the info! If that's the case, I'll just leave the tri-fold on the build.

SgtLip

Banned
Banned
First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lexus ES300h Ultra Luxury
I believe the Hard Rollup locks when tailgate is closed as well. Or at least my BAK Hard Rollup did. There are tonneau that do have locks. Off the top of my head the Retrax Retractables do.

CenTexMav

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: Subaru WRX, Challanger RT, RAM 1500
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I have the Ford REV hard roll up... it is very secure and locks in place. With the tail gate in up there is no way to open the tonnaue cover.

Sponsored

pxpaulx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have the Ford REV hard roll up... it is very secure and locks in place. With the tail gate in up there is no way to open the tonnaue cover.
I haven't seen a tonneau that wasn't effectively 'secure' when the tailgate is closed. They all have clamp down or locking mechanisms of various design. Of course any soft cover is only preventing a quick reach-in. Anything sharp or some quick blunt force will likely be sufficient to defeat them quickly.

The Hard folding/hard roll-up options all seem to use a latching mechanism of some sort - not a lock specifically, but something that can't be defeated once the cover and tailgate are closed. Those would require more significant force to be defeated - hammer, pry-bar, etc. That would obviously draw a lot more attention as well, but if someone is willing to go that far, they are probably also breaking into your vehicle - easier to smash a window than to break through the tonneau hard materials.

CenTexMav

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: Subaru WRX, Challanger RT, RAM 1500
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I haven't seen a tonneau that wasn't effectively 'secure' when the tailgate is closed. They all have clamp down or locking mechanisms of various design. Of course any soft cover is only preventing a quick reach-in. Anything sharp or some quick blunt force will likely be sufficient to defeat them quickly.

The Hard folding/hard roll-up options all seem to use a latching mechanism of some sort - not a lock specifically, but something that can't be defeated once the cover and tailgate are closed. Those would require more significant force to be defeated - hammer, pry-bar, etc. That would obviously draw a lot more attention as well, but if someone is willing to go that far, they are probably also breaking into your vehicle - easier to smash a window than to break through the tonneau hard materials.
Even a pry bar or hammer would have a problem getting into the hard roll ups. You are correct though... Thieves would be more likely to break a window to grab something and run than take time to wrestle with a tonnaeu cover. I remember those awful covers that were held down with big snaps. They were a pain to snap in place and never quite fit right.

OP
OP
dicchicora

dicchicora

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I ended up purchasing a BakFlip Mx4. It's a hard tri-fold. Should be here any day, if the weather cooperates.
Sponsored