sprcoop

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XL Hybrid, 66 Mustang Coupe, 2012 Focus DCT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm curious if anyone has experienced, seen or heard of tonneau covers being broken into? Hard or soft cover?

I know it happens but I'm trying to gauge how often.

I'm wondering if a soft cover is much of a deterrent or if the soft cover crowd just doesn't leave valuables unattended and only used for weather proofing (sort of).
Sponsored

Bry@n

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Maverick XL, F150, Bronco
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I've had covers on beds for years. We travel to the shore and keep all the beach crap in it. Never an issue. Out of sight, out of mind. Most crimes are crimes of opportunity.

OceanMan

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda3 now Maverick soon
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Had a soft cover on a frontier for 10 years or so. Never had a problem, though I rarely kept stuff in the bed. It certainly never was cut or ripped open

Maverick Life

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

The one time in my life that my vehicle was broken into, the would-be thief shattered and went through the rear windshield. There was a laptop bag visible. It was empty so no loss except the broken glass for me but I learned my lesson about having anything visible from the outside. IMO while a hard tonneau might be a small improvement in security over a soft one, either is a big step forward compared to an open bed.

Depending on what items you need to secure, you can also put a small locking steel box under a soft cover and use a cable lock to a tie down. ...or some similar home engineered solution. Then at least if there's a break-in, your only significant loss is the cover.

gte105u

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Maverick Lariat, '17 Rogue SL, '14 Altima SV
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It's all about optics. The bed cover takes away the desire because they don't know. Would avoid putting stuff in the bed where someone can see you do it. Wouldn't leave really valuable stuff in there without a lock to the bed. But the chances of someone cutting open your soft cover on a maybe is slim. They typically know there's something there or move on.

Sponsored

Jah.

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jah.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick xlt fx4 , Honda 700 ctx mc
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have xlt with undercover armor tonneau . problem is all someone would have to do is break window and push door unlocked button and all doors and tailgate would be unlocked . access to cab and bed . easy peezy .

beazerman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Eco boost Lariat Black
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I make a 2000 mile trip twice a year staying in different motels along the way . No problem, but most tonneaus are held shut by a 3/4 inch plastic latch. If a thief has time he could jiggle one latch out and then he is in. Just to make it harder for the thieves, I mount a loop on each rear corner of the tonneau. Then I have a web strap with good adjustable plastic luggage buckles which I loop down to the cargo tie down on each side. Then I can open and close the tailgate when I need to release the top.
Let's face it. A thief can crowbar into almost any folding tonneau. I just want to stop the common thief.

Baloo

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT FX4 Lux Ordered
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Never had an issue of theft from either a hard or soft tonneau cover on any of the trucks I have owned in my lifetime.

I have the soft roll up on my Maverick from Ford. It has to locking points which can only be unlocked with tailgate down. My tailgate is locking too, so not really worried about it. Downside is that is someone really wants into it all it would take is a knife.

No matter what, if a thief wants something they will take it.
Sponsored