First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape, Chevy Spark
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've purchased more vehicles (both new and used) than I can count in my lifetime. However, I have never ordered a vehicle. I have Ford X-plan pricing. Does anybody imagine I could negotiate better than X-plan on a brand new vehicle?

I know that dealers generally love orders because they are "almost" guaranteed sales without having to carry inventory so it is a financial win for them. But...I'm doubting they will be looking to dicker...
Sponsored

Gary in NJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many Subaru's
It depends on the dealer. Some dealers are interested in getting a car out into local circulation to draw in other customers. I had that luck with a few cars. Other dealers see this as an opportunity to take advantage of people who want to be early adopters a particular car. You should always negotiate the best price - and be prepared to walk away. There are many Ford dealers, but just one you. During early price negotiation, the dealer will attempt to establish themselves as having the upper hand. A successful deal is one where you never give up your ground. Let the dealer know that he will need to earn your business.

NDL

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It depends on the dealer. Some dealers are interested in getting a car out into local circulation to draw in other customers. I had that luck with a few cars. Other dealers see this as an opportunity to take advantage of people who want to be early adopters a particular car. You should always negotiate the best price - and be prepared to walk away. There are many Ford dealers, but just one you. During early price negotiation, the dealer will attempt to establish themselves as having the upper hand. A successful deal is one where you never give up your ground. Let the dealer know that he will need to earn your business.
Yours was a well thought out, and well written, post.

Yet, the Maverick will be a new launch.

I sold Mazda's briefly in the mid 90's, and heard it said that when the Miata was launched, dealers were getting at or above MSRP. At the time that I was at the dealer, the Millenia car had just launched, and again, there was little haggling.

Mox

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yours was a well thought out, and well written, post.

Yet, the Maverick will be a new launch.

I sold Mazda's briefly in the mid 90's, and heard it said that when the Miata was launched, dealers were getting at or above MSRP. At the time that I was at the dealer, the Millenia car had just launched, and again, there was little haggling.
There are a couple of recent examples of what you describe. The Bronco is probably one most people here are familiar with. The Kia Telluride is another pretty hot commodity, and most are sold around MSRP from what a friend tells me. Then there's also the newest Corvette. Basically two years worth of pre-orders.

I think the room for negotiation is simply a supply and demand thing. If dealers can move units at or above MSRP, they probably will. It sucks to hear as a consumer, but in that case the dealers have all the leverage.

That said, even with the Bronco until Ford said no X-plan, there are usually a few dealers who will honor A/X/Z-plan pricing in attempt to horde factory orders and simply get paid out by meeting monthly/annual unit bonuses. When I say a few, I mean like a few nationwide. So location will likely be an issue.

Last edited:

TerryE

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
There are a couple of recent examples of what you describe. The Bronco is probably one most people here are familiar with. The Kia Telluride is another pretty hot commodity, and most are sold around MSRP from what a friend tells me. Then there's also the newest Corvette. Basically two years worth of pre-orders.

I think the room for negotiation is simply a supply and demand thing. If dealers can move units at or above MSRP, they probably will. It sucks to hear as a consumer, but in that case the dealers have all the leverage.

That said, even with the Bronco until Ford said no X-plan, there are usually a few dealers who will honor A/X/Z-plan pricing in attempt to horde factory orders and simply get paid out by meeting monthly/annual unit bonuses. When I say a few, I mean like a few nationwide. So location will likely be an issue.
Mox, the dealers have a right to NOT ACCEPT an ‘A’ plan? That’s an employee discount.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Spartan_J

Spartan_J

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape, Chevy Spark
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
They did not accept X-plan on Broncos (excluding Bronco Sports). A-Plan is still available.

Mox

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Mox, the dealers have a right to NOT ACCEPT an ‘A’ plan? That’s an employee discount.
I'm not certain. I do know that Ford made the Bronco ineligible for X-Plan pricing as @Spartan_J mentioned. As far as I know A-plan is still accepted for the Bronco. It would stand to reason that A-plan would likely be available for the Maverick as well. But, obviously, I have no source or inside information to back that statement.

I would imagine the dealer has the right to not sell you the car. In that case, they're choosing not to sell the car to you, they're not rejecting the A/X/Z plan pricing. Semantics really.

During the Bronco build up there were a lot of threads across the different forums that tracked which dealers were taking orders, which ones were honoring A/X/Z plan pricing (until Ford nixed the X-Plan on the Bronco), and which ones were not. It's been a while but I recall one dealer was very popular (in Iowa? Idaho?) that was taking all orders from all over the country and honoring A/X/Z plans. They basically wanted to be the place people ordered their custom Broncos and got a good deal, because then we would make all their dealer holdback targets and then some. Basically they were going for volume as opposed to other dealers that get 1-2 units and mark them up $10K or so to try to cash in on some desperate, rich sucker.

Too soon to tell just how popular the Maverick will be. But I expect that at least a few dealers will honor A/X/Z plan pricing in attempt to do something similar. If not, and X-plan is nixed for the Maverick, then I'll likely just wait a year until X-plan is available. I'm not wealthy enough to pay MSRP+ on what should be a value-focused vehicle.

dano0726

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Jeep JK Wrangler Sport
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I bet if I transfer my $100 Bronco Sport reservation (last July) over to the Maverick -- the Maverick will beat the Bronco Sport Badlands (that was ordered on August 13, 2020) to my driveway...........

TylerDurden

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mercury Marauder & 2002 Ford Explorer
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I was a Ford dealer for a year, so at least at my location, I can tell you how people got new cars at cost. First you have to know exactly what you want, every option, etc. Write an email to the closest 5 Fords or so something like this.

Dear X Ford dealer,
Im interested in a new 2022 Maverick XLT with the following options
A.
B
C
Etc

Im sending this email to you, as well as A Ford, B Ford, C Ford and D Ford looking for the best price. Thanks for your time, X

When people emailed us these, and we knew we were in competition for pricing on the exact same car, from other Ford deals, we gave invoice pricing. That brought em in. Then it was our job to try n upgrade them, or even switch vehicles, so we could sell them something with a margin. Not sure how this will work on a first year, high demand, maybe can't keep up with demand vehicle, but it's what I'd do.

OP
OP
Spartan_J

Spartan_J

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape, Chevy Spark
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I was a Ford dealer for a year, so at least at my location, I can tell you how people got new cars at cost. First you have to know exactly what you want, every option, etc. Write an email to the closest 5 Fords or so something like this.

Dear X Ford dealer,
Im interested in a new 2022 Maverick XLT with the following options
A.
B
C
Etc

Im sending this email to you, as well as A Ford, B Ford, C Ford and D Ford looking for the best price. Thanks for your time, X

When people emailed us these, and we knew we were in competition for pricing on the exact same car, from other Ford deals, we gave invoice pricing. That brought em in. Then it was our job to try n upgrade them, or even switch vehicles, so we could sell them something with a margin. Not sure how this will work on a first year, high demand, maybe can't keep up with demand vehicle, but it's what I'd do.
Great advice...particularly when I got nothing but time to do it.

Sponsored

Ponypower50

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maveriak Lariat, 2021 Mach e
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
A dealer by me is adding ADM to all their Broncos''s.

isellford

First Name
ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Badlands
I have been selling Fords for almost 40 years. We are a commercial truck dealer that also sells retail customers. If Ford makes a vehicle eligible for a Plan sale; we will honor it. on strict retail; we never "pack" the vehicle with bogus options ad never have any addendums for additional dealer mark up. Ford restructured a dealer mark up a while back so holdback is now 2% of MSRP less freight instead of 3%. so a $30000 vheicle nets the dealer about $600 in holdback from which he has to cover his fixed expenses; floor plan costs; and advertising; not to mention the salesperson commission. Haven't seen anything official from Ford yet as to specs or ordering.

Mox

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have been selling Fords for almost 40 years. We are a commercial truck dealer that also sells retail customers. If Ford makes a vehicle eligible for a Plan sale; we will honor it. on strict retail; we never "pack" the vehicle with bogus options ad never have any addendums for additional dealer mark up. Ford restructured a dealer mark up a while back so holdback is now 2% of MSRP less freight instead of 3%. so a $30000 vheicle nets the dealer about $600 in holdback from which he has to cover his fixed expenses; floor plan costs; and advertising; not to mention the salesperson commission. Haven't seen anything official from Ford yet as to specs or ordering.
I've seen a lot of dealers show up on forums like these honoring Plan Pricing and accepting orders from the forum-goers. Happened with the Bronco, and I'd like to see it happen here. Helps out everyone on the forum get the vehicle they want without the dealer add-ons and markups, while the dealer gets to move a HUGE number of vehicles from all the orders.

99Mustang

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Mustang 07 F150 17 Fiesta
I just wish they will hurry up the production. I want to receive one before my Caddy SRX fails me again. Never, never will I buy another GM made vehicle.
Duck tape and chewing gum should hold it together for the next few months.
Sponsored