First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I don't think people really think it's an issue with the size, more with the fact that the technology is pretty low grade compared to other Sync offerings. I'm fairly certain that the 8" unit is just a placeholder to keep initial costs down and I feel there's a good chance that we'll see an updated unit for the 2023 MY Maverick with a better version of Sync. I don't believe the designers and engineers intended for there to be a cubby to the right of the infotainment screen.
I really expect 2025-2027+/- model years or later before the new chip plants are in production in capacities high enough to serve manufacturer demands. Not to say certain models won't receive priority of available supplies. There is I feel a high probability of a larger screen eliminating the cubby whether or not it's an improved sync system.
Sponsored

Mojorayy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat Lux
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I loved the center console dial on my Mazda, much much more than a touch screen. The touch screen is pretty finicky with finger placement and to me presented a much more distracted driving experience whereas the center dial was comfortable and easy to use. I would take a center console dial over a touchscreen any day.
Agreed, love my Mazda CX-5's "commander knob" and will miss it when I get my Maverick. Can change between Maps and Audio (even in Android Auto) with a single physical button around my legs. Makes me hate using the touch screen in other vehicles.

TacoHolder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not Mav
synch 3 is better than what's on the mazda, but I haven't tried the base non-synch mav's. I'm thinking we are basically getting to the point where we just use android auto/iphone auto at this point though.
IMO android auto and carplay are better then pretty much anything built into a car's infotainment system. We have a Toyota and a Nissan, both less than a year old, and the only time the factory system is used is to tune the radio station and use the rear/360 cameras. The best factory systems are the ones that work best with phones. Nothing else really matters.

Last edited:

Mymaverick2021

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steveo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The larger the screen, the quicker you can glance and read things. Try navigating on Waze with a phablet vs a iPhone Mini for example!

Plus, the bigger the screen, the more you can display multiple things at once. I like the Hyundais that can split screen for example, I believe can show up to 3 things split.
Capture.JPG

My ultimate favorite though is the Ford Edge style setup with a large landscape screen! Their latest is a 12" if I remember right.
All the more to distract you from the task at hand

ShadowChas

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I don’t have a problem with the size of screen just the size left open makes it look unfinished/unplanned/afterthought or just plain halfa**ed and I’m not thrilled with the options you can see or do with it (and it locks up occasionally). I know I’m old school and don’t use my iPhone or other music sources to plug in. I loved the Sony system in my 2014 focus titanium edition had a nice screen I split into 4 (navigation/music/temp in& out). I know the maverick is entry level vehicle and 💲 is a big factor for keeping consumers happy without losing money selling (like they discontinued selling sedans for unable to make money on cars)

Sponsored

jwesterly

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford ranger, next...
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Having spent decades designing high volume electronics I can say the best way to ensure availability and best prices is to design to common industry sizes. When you expect to sell >100k or >1M of the product, yes you can opt for a custom lcd size. But if you design to a standard like a "10 inch" (9.7-10.1" diagonal) android tablet size, you will find multiple suppliers, more competitive pricing, and crucially now fallback availability. That "long and narrow lcd" strikes me as odd and there should have been some compelling reason to even consider it.

19mustang65

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pinti
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm surprised for the price the truck c ol me with a screen, touch no less

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm surprised for the price the truck c ol me with a screen, touch no less
Rear backup cameras are required by federal law which is why pretty much every car has a full infotainment screen these day. Unless it's a Ram Classic and they give you some POS display-in-mirror.

lmaccherone

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Hybrid
The thing I'm worried that I'm going to miss the most from my Mazda once my Maverick arrives is fact that the screen is mounted so high you barely need to take your eye off the road.

It takes a couple of weeks but everyone I know who uses the Mazda dial interface loves it after they get used to it. The little play/pause and volume are one knob/button and being close to where my hand naturally rests while I'm driving means those adjustments are easy. It's a little more effort to get used to the big knob/button which is like your pointer and enter button, but not much.

Sponsored

MavVa1024

First Name
TC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Nissan Kicks
The thing I'm worried that I'm going to miss the most from my Mazda once my Maverick arrives is fact that the screen is mounted so high you barely need to take your eye off the road.

It takes a couple of weeks but everyone I know who uses the Mazda dial interface loves it after they get used to it. The little play/pause and volume are one knob/button and being close to where my hand naturally rests while I'm driving means those adjustments are easy. It's a little more effort to get used to the big knob/button which is like your pointer and enter button, but not much.
My wifes 2021 CX-5 Carbon Edition took a while to get used to center knob. But now.....NOW I absolutely love it! Like, all car makers should copy it, its SO much safer to use, and once you learn it, way easier to navigate and maneuver within the system!

AutobahnSHO

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata, Hybrid Mav, Odyssey
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
IMO android auto and carplay are better then pretty much anything built into a car's infotainment system. We have a Toyota and a Nissan, both less than a year old, and the only time the factory system is used is to tune the radio station and use the rear/360 cameras. The best factory systems are the ones that work best with phones. Nothing else really matters.

+1
It's so much cheaper to replace a phone, the auto makers have to do a lot of testing before making any changes, and it's not cost-efficient to put research money into cars (or compact trucks) they have already sold.

JTCC

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Juno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT Hybrid and 12 motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

ehspeakers

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The real question is if the cubby could be removed somehow with a different bezel as I agree its stupid and an eyesore. Or if a future 10" screen could be fitted in its place one day.. It seems we may have to wait till 2024/5 for the larger screen and sync infotainment.

TacoHolder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not Mav
The real question is if the cubby could be removed somehow with a different bezel as I agree its stupid and an eyesore. Or if a future 10" screen could be fitted in its place one day.. It seems we may have to wait till 2024/5 for the larger screen and sync infotainment.
Does anyone know if the dash plastic holding the screen can be removed? I thought about 3D printing a bezel piece to move the screen to the middle and delete the cubby
Sponsored