ttthhasdf

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
There's been a lot of chatter about the mav screen being 8" with the cubby hole beside it, that it was intended to be a 10" screen but due to parts availability was changed to 8".

I drove a rental mazda cx5 for the last week and it has a 10" screen, and honestly I felt like it was mostly wasted real estate. My wife's pacifica has a 10" screen that is wider as well as taller, and I feel like it uses the space well. The mazda screen though was the same height as an 8" screen but extra wide, which I think would be what would fit in the mav spot without the cubby hole.

It was nice enough, but I felt like it would have been just as usable as an 8" screen. Also, the mazda wasn't a touch screen but was a weird dial thing like using a PC with a keyboard and no mouse, just tabbing through things.
Ford Maverick 10" wide screen KIMG1072.JPG

Ford Maverick 10" wide screen KIMG1071.JPG

Ford Maverick 10" wide screen KIMG1070.JPG

Ford Maverick 10" wide screen KIMG1075.JPG
Sponsored

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The larger the screen the greater the potential distraction.
The larger the screen, the quicker you can glance and read things. Try navigating on Waze with a phablet vs a iPhone Mini for example!

Plus, the bigger the screen, the more you can display multiple things at once. I like the Hyundais that can split screen for example, I believe can show up to 3 things split.
Ford Maverick 10" wide screen Capture.JPG

My ultimate favorite though is the Ford Edge style setup with a large landscape screen! Their latest is a 12" if I remember right.

OP
OP
ttthhasdf

ttthhasdf

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The larger the screen, the quicker you can glance and read things. Try navigating on Waze with a phablet vs a iPhone Mini for example!

Plus, the bigger the screen, the more you can display multiple things at once. I like the Hyundais that can split screen for example, I believe can show up to 3 things split.
Capture.JPG

My ultimate favorite though is the Ford Edge style setup with a large landscape screen! Their latest is a 12" if I remember right.
the 15.5" mach e /lightning screen can split all kinds of screens

Ford Maverick 10" wide screen dims

Sponsored

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The larger the screen the greater the potential distraction.
Hmmm how long before someone makes a full windshield peel and stick transparent touch screen AND what would you due when a fly got on it???

TooManyVehicles

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 F150 XLT, 21 BS Badlands, 22 Mav Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My issue with the screen on the Maverick isn't its size, it is that it is off centered. It would look better with spacers on both the left and right (e.g. a flat plastic piece). (Yes, I know we would lose the "valuable" cubby hole.)

My Bronco Sport BL has the same size screen (I think) and it looks fine...and centered above the radio controls.

TooManyVehicles

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 F150 XLT, 21 BS Badlands, 22 Mav Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
OP
OP
ttthhasdf

ttthhasdf

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I wouldn't focus as much on the size as I would on the probability of a better sync version that goes along with whatever is really intended for that space.
synch 3 is better than what's on the mazda, but I haven't tried the base non-synch mav's. I'm thinking we are basically getting to the point where we just use android auto/iphone auto at this point though.

FakeCowboy

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Subaru WRX
synch 3 is better than what's on the mazda, but I haven't tried the base non-synch mav's. I'm thinking we are basically getting to the point where we just use android auto/iphone auto at this point though.
I loved the center console dial on my Mazda, much much more than a touch screen. The touch screen is pretty finicky with finger placement and to me presented a much more distracted driving experience whereas the center dial was comfortable and easy to use. I would take a center console dial over a touchscreen any day.

Sponsored
OP
OP
ttthhasdf

ttthhasdf

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I loved the center console dial on my Mazda, much much more than a touch screen. The touch screen is pretty finicky with finger placement and to me presented a much more distracted driving experience whereas the center dial was comfortable and easy to use. I would take a center console dial over a touchscreen any day.
I guess it is just a matter of getting used to it then. I had a really hard time going back and forth between the map and the audio with android auto. I thought it was wonky.

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
the 15.5" mach e /lightning screen can split all kinds of screens

dims.jpeg
The downside with the 15.5" portrait screen is for some things like the backup camera it's actually less viewable area than the big landscape screen on the F150.

I drove a rental mazda cx5 for the last week and it has a 10" screen, and honestly I felt like it was mostly wasted real estate. My wife's pacifica has a 10" screen that is wider as well as taller, and I feel like it uses the space well. The mazda screen though was the same height as an 8" screen but extra wide, which I think would be what would fit in the mav spot without the cubby hole.
There were some clay mockup shots of the Maverick dash and the 10" screen also would have extended 'down' more. So approximately the same aspect ration instead of being ultrawide like the Mazda's.

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hmmm how long before someone makes a full windshield peel and stick transparent touch screen AND what would you due when a fly got on it???
A jet fighter style heads up display would be awesome!

FakeCowboy

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Subaru WRX
I don't think people really think it's an issue with the size, more with the fact that the technology is pretty low grade compared to other Sync offerings. I'm fairly certain that the 8" unit is just a placeholder to keep initial costs down and I feel there's a good chance that we'll see an updated unit for the 2023 MY Maverick with a better version of Sync. I don't believe the designers and engineers intended for there to be a cubby to the right of the infotainment screen.
Sponsored