Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Couple of other observations about the buying process. I originally was leaning towards the XLT because I wanted the 4 X 4 package and they didn't offer it on the XL trim. The original package on the preorders included a rear locking differential gear with extra gearing options and a 10 speed transmission. They later changed the package and dropped those options and when they did my opinion was the 4 x 4 package wasn't worth getting then for extra drive modes and a larger radiator since for all practical purposes it was no different than a standard drivetrain.
do you mean FX-4 package? There was never any 4x4 option- only AWD. Also, I have been really tuned in to all Maverick specs and options information I could find since before Ford even admitted it was a real vehicle and I never saw any mention of a 10 speed trans in any Ford documents or the build & price, etc. I actually was hoping it would have that for MPG purposes (I have it in my F-150), but after driving the ECO + 8 speed IMO it shifts way better than my F-150 10 speed :)
Sponsored

OP
OP

Maverick2022XL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL, AWD, 4K tow, 2.0L EcoBoost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
do you mean FX-4 package? There was never any 4x4 option- only AWD. Also, I have been really tuned in to all Maverick specs and options information I could find since before Ford even admitted it was a real vehicle and I never saw any mention of a 10 speed trans in any Ford documents or the build & price, etc. I actually was hoping it would have that for MPG purposes (I have it in my F-150), but after driving the ECO + 8 speed IMO it shifts way better than my F-150 10 speed :)
Yes I meant the FX-4 package. I remember seeing it in the build features when you selected it as as an option when you built the vehicle on the Ford website. This was around August or earlier of last year. They did this with other packages as well before they finalized things.

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Speed kills(gas mileage). The difference in aerodynamic drag going from 70 to 80 is 30%. Now drag isn’t the sole determinator of mileage at highway speeds but it’s a significant one.
modern vehicle designs are all wind tunnel tested for a sweet spot on best mpg vs. mph and also the tranny is optimized for same. Look around you on any open road, hwy, fwy etc. and you almost never see anyone driving 55. The cars are designed to get their best mileage higher than 55- my Grand Cherokee for example loves 65-70 mph. Our F-150 is same thing.

OP
OP

Maverick2022XL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Great review. I'm considering printing this and putting in the manual:)

What are your driving tips for getting this type of mileage? I got 32 on the highway at 65-70 on a long trip. With mostly city driving I am getting just above 24. The latter has been in very cold weather if that matters. I have EB with 4K also. Very impressed with my highway mileage and not surprised at city. I have been driving with a very light foot.
No tips what I do notice is it will read 30 or less MPG for short trips like 30 miles both ways or less on highway but longer runs the MPG reads higher. What I do to check it is the following I fill the tank to 16 gallons with a top off. Reset the the trip meter drive it until I've gone 460 miles before filling up. Every time I've done this I've only needed to refill with a top off at about15 gallons so my MPG is 460 miles / 15 gallons = 30 MPG.

If you can do that regardless of what it says then you know you are getting at least 30 MPG. You can in that case recalbrate the cluster to calculate you MPG on the trip meter based upon your actual gas usage by changing what is called AFE bias in the instrument cluster. You need to put the cluster into what is called engineering test mode first to access the settings. You can also access the DTC codes that way without using an OBD2 scanner among other things.

Here is how to access the test mode
https://www.mavericktruckclub.com/f...rick-engineering-test-mode-how-to-enter.5672/

The AFE BIAS I believe is set at 1000 when they leave the factory.
The AFE Bias calculation is the following (hand calculated MPG/cluster MPG) * 1000
So for example if your cluster reads 29 MPG and your hand calculated reads 30 MPG it is the following
(30 / 29) * 1000 = 1034 rounding down and that is number you'd set it at instead of 1000.

Last edited:

Joseaoe1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT 2.0 4K VB, 2022 RAV4 Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
No tips what I do notice is it will read 30 or less MPG for short trips like 30 miles both ways or less on highway but longer runs the MPG reads higher. What I do to check it is the following I fill the tank to 16 gallons with a top off. Reset the the trip meter drive it until I've gone 460 miles before filling up. Every time I've done this I've only needed to refill with a top off at about15 gallons so my MPG is 460 miles / 15 gallons = 30 MPG.

If you can do that regardless of what it says then you know you are getting at least 30 MPG. You can in that case recalbrate the cluster to calculate you MPG on the trip meter based upon your actual gas usage by changing what is called AFE bias in the instrument cluster. You need to put the cluster into what is called engineering test mode first to access the settings. You can also access the DTC codes that way without using an OBD2 scanner among other things.

Here is how to access the test mode
https://www.mavericktruckclub.com/f...rick-engineering-test-mode-how-to-enter.5672/

The AFE BIAS I believe is set at 1000 when they leave the factory.
The AFE Bias calculation is the following (hand calculated MPG/cluster MPG) * 1000
So for example if your cluster reads 29 MPG and your hand calculated reads 30 MPG it is the following
(30 / 29) * 1000 = 1034 rounding down and that is number you'd set it at instead of 1000.
Thank you very much. Last time I filled up I checked against the cumulative mg that the vehicle was recording and it was very close. I am amazed at what you are seeing for city mpg. You have a good build.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Maverick2022XL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thank you very much. Last time I filled up I checked against the cumulative mg that the vehicle was recording and it was very close. I am amazed at what you are seeing for city mpg. You have a good build.
One thing to also consider is how cold it is where you are when you drive. I've noticed that my MPG drops when starting to get down near freezing.
My FWD 2.0 has only 1000miles but I drive highway 80% and cannot get anything higher than
26.5mpg.

@Maverick2022XL, what speeds do you usually drive? I do 70-80mph. And, per your experience, do you think mine should improve? I'm a little disappointed.
I have an AWD not FWD so maybe that has something to do with the gas mileage difference?

OP
OP

Maverick2022XL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Great review. I'm considering printing this and putting in the manual:)

What are your driving tips for getting this type of mileage? I got 32 on the highway at 65-70 on a long trip. With mostly city driving I am getting just above 24. The latter has been in very cold weather if that matters. I have EB with 4K also. Very impressed with my highway mileage and not surprised at city. I have been driving with a very light foot.
Also is yours's an AWD or FWD?

OP
OP

Maverick2022XL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Update on this. I've been doing some more traditional city driving and my MPG has dropped to about 23 MPG when doing 5 mile or less drives with lots of stop and go. I can get 25 to 26 MPG also if I am driving longer distances same conditions.

With the trailer on and loaded up to 3000lbs (load/trailer combined) I get anywhere between 18 - 23 MPG for city. Highway or mixed has been 25 - 28 MPG with a trailer same conditions. Highway only still getting at least 30 MPH on long distance drives speed ranging from 55 MPH to 75 MPH.

Sponsored

MaverickGal

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Laurie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thanks for the head’s up about the neutral issue…..I have not seen that mentioned anywhere else. I will beware!

ShadowBlack XL440

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Non-Ford, not enought room to list..........
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It all depends on your usage. I am getting more in the 22-24 MPG range. I do A LOT of city driving and stop/go highway driving. Hybrid would get me 40 MPG in that scenario. But for people who do lots of straight out highway driving and easy on the throttle, they can do over 30 MPG. My best highway trip is around 29, and I have upgraded/upsized heavy AT tires resisting.
My XL EB FWD, per the dash, is showing an average 30 MPG and an average 37 MPH of rural road driving. Loving the mileage so far. I expect closer to the listed city rating but not disappointed in being mistaken.

Ford Maverick 5000+ miles, so how is it? 2.0 Maverick owners review KIMG3025.JPG

ShadowBlack XL440

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Non-Ford, not enought room to list..........
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Here is my DIY lined bed. Cost me $59 for the horsestall mat and fasteners before tax. Tools used, box cutter, contour gage, marker, drill bit, drill and mallet.

bed2.jpg

bed1.jpg
Best looking useage of the horse mat. How did you get all that out of 1 mat? What size did you start with? It does not look like a 4 x 6 mat would yield this coverage for both the bed and tailgate.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Maverick2022XL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Best looking useage of the horse mat. How did you get all that out of 1 mat? What size did you start with? It does not look like a 4 x 6 mat would yield this coverage for both the bed and tailgate.
I don't remember exactly how I cut but I did do the back part first took the short side of 4 foot and cut it to width between the wheel wells then trimmed that piece back to about where the wheel well starts to curve. I think I used the section I trimmed off that for the tail gate then cut the other piece in 2 pieces for the back from the remaining larger piece then used the contour gage to make the curved cuts.

I did use only one 4 x 6 horse stall mat. Specifically the ones they sell at Tractor Supply.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Nice review, I like your comment about the tailgate camera, had not considered that. I keep hearing about the small mirrors and that worries me a bit, I guess I will see when I have mine.
Yea, I noticed the camera thing. If the tail gate is down and you have the backing assist on it will also beep. I guess it's because of the camera or sensor seeing the ground.
Sponsored