Sponsored

Can I tow a 3,000 lbs camper with 2.0 ecobost engine + 4k lb tow package.?

danielmartinez20

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
One of the reasons I chose the 2.0 ecobost engine is to add the 4k lb tow package.

I am new to towing and would like to know if you guys think I'll be able to tow your average 3,000 lb camper trailer.

As of now, I'm a little bit overwhelmed with all the extra considerations that go into towing, like tongue weight, from what I've read.
Sponsored

Last edited:

SgtLip

Banned
Banned
First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lexus ES300h Ultra Luxury
This may not answer all your questions but hopefully its a start. Someone else posted this the other day and I thought it might help you.

Attachments

Scooter66

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford F-150 Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
YES! 2.0 and the 4K Towing package will tow a 3,000 lb trailer plus a 1,000 lbs. Factory specs have some factor of safety. Note: maximum towing on a regular basis requires extra maintenance on your transmission fluid. Change it about 1/2 the normal interval and the filter too.

Sponsored

Edge Haley

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Edge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PORSCHE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The math will help but keep in mind, two things people tend to overlook are the numbers. I tow, motorcycles, quite often and two things that i have to consider in the equation....mountain grade and adding vehicle content (passenger & cargo) weight. Know your hitch load is rated for, my Honda Element's hitch weight is 350 lbs...gross trailer weight is the other factor, 1200 lbs. Trailer hitch height should keep your trailer parallel with the ground. Balancing your trailer weight to the hitch is half the challenge.

Load up your trailer, etc with your weight and find a steep grade to pull the load over and going down a steep grade to check the distance of braking. My Element can handle a 350# trailer hitch weight, 1200 # gross trailer weight but where it has trouble that I have to compensate for, is braking...I slow down a steep mountain grade by downshifting to a lower gear...YOU CAN NOT downshift in an e-CVT. If you live in a mountainous area it may dictate planning your non-mountainous route.

Last edited:

Scooter66

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford F-150 Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The math will help but keep in mind, two things people tend to overlook are the numbers. I tow, motorcycles, quite often and two things that i have to consider in the equation....mountain grade and adding vehicle content (passenger & cargo) weight. Know your hitch load is rated for, my Honda Element's hitch weight is 350 lbs...gross trailer weight is the other factor, 1200 lbs. Trailer hitch height should keep your trailer parallel with the ground. Balancing your trailer weight to the hitch is half the challenge.

Load up your trailer, etc with your weight and find a steep grade to pull the load over and going down a steep grade to check the distance of braking. My Element can handle a 350# trailer hitch weight, 1200 # gross trailer weight but where it has trouble that I have to compensate for, is braking...I slow down a steep mountain grade by downshifting to a lower gear...YOU CAN NOT downshift in an e-CVT. If you live in a mountainous area it may dictate planning your non-mountainous route.
Keep in mind that the 2.0 only comes with the 8sp transmission. Use the tow/haul mode and you should be fine. I used to haul horses and was towing 12,000 lbs occasionally in my 5.9 Cummins; what is an Element?

OP
OP
danielmartinez20

danielmartinez20

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Is it me or does the 400lb max tongue seem low for a 4klb max tow capacity?

I believe tongue weight of a trailer is usually about 15% of total weight.

hsinking1932

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Good point. Gradient makes big difference. Using a trip planner with gradient fiction, such as rvlife, could help.

Ford Maverick Can I tow a 3,000 lbs camper with 2.0 ecobost engine + 4k lb tow package.? Screenshot 2021-07-25 201027

Sponsored

jimmy fitzwell

First Name
jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 pinto wagon, 67 olds 98

The hybrid has no 4k tow as the OP referred.

jimmy fitzwell

First Name
jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One of the reasons I chose the 2.0 ecobost engine is to add the 4k lb tow package.

I am new to towing and would like to know if you guys think I'll be able to tow your average 3,000 lb camper trailer.

As of now, I'm a little bit overwhelmed with all the extra considerations that go into towing, like tongue weight, from what I've read.
Yes you can tow 3k as long as you have trailer brakes. That would be about the max for me on the highway. Keep in mind, the Mav doesn't weigh much more than that. I think about 3700 lbs max>

hsinking1932

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It is worth mentioning that the max towing capacity is only available when there are few passengers and cargo in the towing vehicle. Otherwise, the combined weight will be over the GCWR limitation. A hybrid Mav towing 2000 lbs can only take extra 330 lbs, including people and their stuff. A 4k towing package could improve this situation. But larger trailers always need to be packed and planned more carefully before leaving.

Ford Maverick Can I tow a 3,000 lbs camper with 2.0 ecobost engine + 4k lb tow package.? hybrid mav max towi

jimmy fitzwell

First Name
jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

I forgot to mention frontal area of the camper. The Mav with 4k specs 40 square feet. The truck itself is about 20 square feet.
My '75 Bell is only 2000 lbs but 50 square feet frontal area. Aerodynamics of a billboard. I would not tow it on the highway with the 4k tow Mav I ordered.
My '09 Casita is 2800 Lbs but way more aerodynamic. I don't even know the frontal area off hand but would consider towing it with the Mav. It definitely tows easier than the Bell with my F150 and has brakes.
P.S. Only fill as much water as you need and/or fill when you get to your destination.

Coachman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

You should have NO problem towing a 3K camper as long as you have the 4K towing package. You will be 1000 pounds UNDER the MAX trailer weight.👍
Sponsored