David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Morning!

We ordered a new replacement turbo for the Maverick. Judging from the tuning and dyno results we are seeing there are many things holding the engine back from making any big power numbers, the turbo is definitely one of those!

We dropped the secondary cat yesterday in search of more power. This also proved what the exhaust did, the computer with the stock tune became even more unhappy cutting power back even more. After a change to the tune power came back and is more repeatable without so much heat being registered in the primary cat.

The turbo is small, smallest I've seen on a 2.0 engine. Explains the great response but also explains why it's tough to have large increases in power/torque/boost levels.

The turbo is being sent out to our turbo builder today, we've been working closely with and setting a lot of records with Forced Performance/Xona Rotor for many-many years. They are going to work some magic on this and by the time we get it back here our production exhausts, intercooler, downpipe etc., should all be done and available. It will fall right in place with everything. Turbos will then be available through us for the trucks.

Attached are some pictures.

Ford Maverick Upgraded 2.0 EcoBoost turbos coming from Buschur, pics of the tiny stock factory turbo IMG-0891

Ford Maverick Upgraded 2.0 EcoBoost turbos coming from Buschur, pics of the tiny stock factory turbo IMG-0892

Ford Maverick Upgraded 2.0 EcoBoost turbos coming from Buschur, pics of the tiny stock factory turbo IMG-0893

Ford Maverick Upgraded 2.0 EcoBoost turbos coming from Buschur, pics of the tiny stock factory turbo IMG-0894

Ford Maverick Upgraded 2.0 EcoBoost turbos coming from Buschur, pics of the tiny stock factory turbo IMG-0895
Sponsored

OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So when you're finished will it be a hybrid?
= Same exact look on the outside with all modifications inside?
I thought you were making a joke for a second and realized what you were asking. hahaha

Yes, the turbo will look the same on the outside and be modded inside. This is super common.

catinthebathtub

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
haas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 GT 350, 60 VW, 34 pickup and porsches....
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
@Buschur, i'm waiting for your GT30R kit....

Sponsored

OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
@Buschur, i'm waiting for your GT30R kit....
We will see where the market goes and what the demand is. There are a LOT of bolt on turbos like we are doing here that go extremely fast in the Mitsubishi/Nissan world. My GTR for example ran 8.3's back in 2016 on E85 and 8.74 (still the pump gas record holder) on modified stock turbos like we are doing.

catinthebathtub

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
haas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 GT 350, 60 VW, 34 pickup and porsches....
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
We will see where the market goes and what the demand is. There are a LOT of bolt on turbos like we are doing here that go extremely fast in the Mitsubishi/Nissan world. My GTR for example ran 8.3's back in 2016 on E85 and 8.74 (still the pump gas record holder) on modified stock turbos like we are doing.
i get it.
i have never kept a vehicle "stock" before but this is also the first new car i have ever purchased with an automatic.... since at this point i've never even sat in a maverick, i'll wait to see what i think of it. i did "class" drag racing around 1980 but shortly after moved to sports car racing. i'm still involved with race prep for porsche club cars and still get on track as a HPDE instructor.

OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
i get it.
i have never kept a vehicle "stock" before but this is also the first new car i have ever purchased with an automatic.... since at this point i've never even sat in a maverick, i'll wait to see what i think of it. i did "class" drag racing around 1980 but shortly after moved to sports car racing. i'm still involved with race prep for porsche club cars and still get on track as a HPDE instructor.
The NASA HPDE program is one of the best programs out there! I had guys who drove for me over the years anytime in meant not going straight. I started with NASA when I turned 40, went through HPDE 1-2-3-4, got my TT License and competed at the Nationals in 2017 in TTD. Long story but got cheated out of 1st place, I held the Pro and Club course records at Mid Ohio that year, those records stood for quite a long time after that.

Sponsored

Bn1970

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford-2L/250hp, Honda-1.5L/190hp, Mazda-1.6L/270hp.
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
To confirm, you removed the oem catalytic converter. Correct?

OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I don't understand what you are trying to say in the first three lines of that, sorry.

I was once a large displacement guy myself and then realized how much better smaller displacement turbo engines were, I'd never go back. Other than the sound and idling through a car show with a big ass engine and large duration cam, I'll pass. Now we can make 1000+ hp, drive to the grocery store, across country and get 20+ MPG with the a/c on.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.