Sponsored

Young Buyer; I would like your opinion...

cmoraspace

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick AWD FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
(Too long/Didn't Read: I need help deciding the powertrain and the color)
Hi guys, I'm currently thinking of getting a new Maverick and I'd like to see others' opinions to help me finalize my choice. I'm a very indecisive person lol.
I'm currently a 21 y/o college student, I currently drive a base model 2021 Chevy Colorado (its my uncles) and I loathe it. It needs more power and returns lackluster mpg (~22). I saw the Maverick about a month ago and though that this would be the perfect truck for me, as its compact and has some pretty neat tech features.

I'm going to go for the Lariat trim, specifically for the Lane centering and Adaptive Cruise Control features. My dad just bought a 2021 F-150 Platinum and those features are absolutely amazing; you can pretty much drive the truck without barley even doing anything. I plan on coming home a lot from college so long drives are a must for me. However, having a truck that can drive all-terrain and tow/haul a decent amount are also important.

This is where I want to reach out to you guys and see your takes. I currently started out reserving the AWD FX4 with the 2.0L, but I switched to the Hybrid recently, because I wasn't too sure what the mpg on the 2.0L was. When that was released recently and saw that its at the high 20's and low 30's, I'm not sure if I should switch back. Here's why:
1. I'm not fond of CVT transmissions. Will the new eCVT be reliable? Is it fun/comfortable to drive? This truck will have to last me a while, and I'd hate to have issues in the future. I'd rather stick with the 8-speed if that's more well-known and reliable for lasting.

2. Mpg is a big deal for me, but the official numbers for the hybrid haven't been released, and the low 30's for the 2.0L don't seem bad at all. If the hybrid's is close to the high 40's, that would be amazing. Naturally, I drive pretty conservatively, so In your guy's opinion, what would be the mpg for both engines?

3. AWD/4x4 is a nice feature. Though I very rarely use it in my past trucks, its nice to know its there and to use it when the occasion arises. However, its a hefty price jump to go to the FX4 from the hybrid; is it worth it?

4. Is the towing/hauling capacity worth it on the hybrid? I'm also planning on buying a cheap motorcycle soon, and I often move in/out of apartments at my college. I'm also in a family of farmers, so hauling certain things are important as well. 1,500lbs doesn't seem bad at all but would it strain the engine too much?

5. What color looks best in your opinion? I have currently have black, but I know the pain with trying to keep a black vehicle look nice (need to wash it a lot). So I'm going to go with either white or cactus gray, what's your take?

I'm pretty indecisive, especially if I'm going to drop all this money on my first new vehicle lol. The total price isn't a huge issue, but the cost effectiveness is. Any takes and opinions would be great, also sorry for the length of the post lol. Appreciate it!
Sponsored

Vulcan9988

First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Hey, so as a younger buyer as well but still a little older (26) heres my 2 cents.

So to start the eCVT should have no issues, there are tons of ford fusions with a couple hundred thousand miles on them with no transmission issues, and ive never heard of them having issues ( and with my friend being anti Ford people trust me when I say they would have told me if something had happened but they could dig up lol).

What kind of farm stuff are we talkin, I as well grew up in a farming family, is it trailers and stuff or just pallets of feed and such?

Overall unless you're planning on doing like midsized camping style trailers and such I really don't see any need on your end for anything other than the hybrid.

As for the AWD vs standard remember that the Maverick is front-wheel drive so your increase in traction is not going to be near as much going to the all-wheel drive if you were coming from the rear wheel drive so unless you're going through deep deep snow which I question the clearance for this vehicle on that anyways then I don't really see a need for all wheel drive in your case either.

And then as for the color I went with cyber orange but of your two options I would go with cactus gray white is terribly boring in my opinion.

WesM

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
MPG for the 2.0 is going to be more mid to high 20s than low 30s, unless your hypermiling on the highway 95% of the time, then you might hit low 30s.

Im guessing MPG for the Hybrid is going to be 33-34 highways. If your going around town/campus even 30% of the time, you will probably be closer to 37ish mpg avg, maybe better.

Closest thing to the hybrid maverick is probably the Hybrid Escape. Test drive one locally and see what you think of the power/feel of the eCVT. The Escape is not a perfect analogue, but its something. I'm more worried about the Maverick eCVT programing early on than its longterm reliability. The mechanics of the eCVT look pretty bullet proof.

SgtLip

Banned
Banned
First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lexus ES300h Ultra Luxury
Welcome to the forum. Hope you join the Maverick Order Club.

8211badger

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
honda fit
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think you should go hybrid. Unless you you are very regularly towing. And even then the max of 4k isn't all that much for serious stuff. It sounds like you have access to bigger trucks anyway if you really need more. The ecoboost will be faster of course but neither will be "fun" to drive. It's not that type of vehicle. If you don't use awd on the truck you have now the fwd will def do what you need it to. The eCVT will be at least as and probably more reliable than the 8 speed. Same with the motor. Your real life mpg difference will be around 10 per gallon and that adds up quick. I don't like cactus gray tbh. If you are going for somehting that stays nice looking with farm work I think Iconic Silver is the classiest look. Just my opinion.

Sponsored

Delbert

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Forester, honda Accord Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If I were young. . . and I still am at heart. I'd go XL hybrid in as bright a color as possible. The tow hitch and a matching color liner from Bullet. Money still means something to you and this is about as cost effective a ride as money can buy. That 2021 Colorado is worth a good bit more than the Maverick for a reason. It has all kinds of capabilities that you are not using.

OP
OP
cmoraspace

cmoraspace

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick AWD FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hey, so as a younger buyer as well but still a little older (26) heres my 2 cents.

So to start the eCVT should have no issues, there are tons of ford fusions with a couple hundred thousand miles on them with no transmission issues, and ive never heard of them having issues ( and with my friend being anti Ford people trust me when I say they would have told me if something had happened but they could dig up lol).

What kind of farm stuff are we talkin, I as well grew up in a farming family, is it trailers and stuff or just pallets of feed and such?

Overall unless you're planning on doing like midsized camping style trailers and such I really don't see any need on your end for anything other than the hybrid.

As for the AWD vs standard remember that the Maverick is front-wheel drive so your increase in traction is not going to be near as much going to the all-wheel drive if you were coming from the rear wheel drive so unless you're going through deep deep snow which I question the clearance for this vehicle on that anyways then I don't really see a need for all wheel drive in your case either.

And then as for the color I went with cyber orange but of your two options I would go with cactus gray white is terribly boring in my opinion.
Lmao I know what you mean with the anti-ford people, they try to find anything to prove their case lol. Its good to know that the CVT trans can last that long. I've heard of Nissans with CVTs that can barley last 50k miles before they have issues, that's why I was hesitant.

Over here in Central Cal we're stone fruit farmers. Stuff like hauling lots of fruit boxes, tractor parts, wheels, etc. If anything I'd be looking to tow, and it would be most likely small trailers to carry filled fruit boxes or a mobile porta-potty. It would be rarely that I would do this (when I'm home from college), but it would be nice if the option is there so I can help when its needed. I'm sure the hybrid could do it but would it do it comfortably is the question.

I do snowboard during the wintertime and snow and sand are mainly what I'd be going up against if I decide to go off-road. So there idk lol.

Yea and the cactus grey looks nice, white is too common lmao.

OP
OP
cmoraspace

cmoraspace

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick AWD FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
MPG for the 2.0 is going to be more mid to high 20s than low 30s, unless your hypermiling on the highway 95% of the time, then you might hit low 30s.

Im guessing MPG for the Hybrid is going to be 33-34 highways. If your going around town/campus even 30% of the time, you will probably be closer to 37ish mpg avg, maybe better.

Closest thing to the hybrid maverick is probably the Hybrid Escape. Test drive one locally and see what you think of the power/feel of the eCVT. The Escape is not a perfect analogue, but its something. I'm more worried about the Maverick eCVT programing early on than its longterm reliability. The mechanics of the eCVT look pretty bullet proof.
Thanks for that, those numbers seem pretty good for the hybrid. I'll be sure to test drive one around here, didn't think to test drive something that has the same powertrain. Appreciate it!

OP
OP
cmoraspace

cmoraspace

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick AWD FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I think you should go hybrid. Unless you you are very regularly towing. And even then the max of 4k isn't all that much for serious stuff. It sounds like you have access to bigger trucks anyway if you really need more. The ecoboost will be faster of course but neither will be "fun" to drive. It's not that type of vehicle. If you don't use awd on the truck you have now the fwd will def do what you need it to. The eCVT will be at least as and probably more reliable than the 8 speed. Same with the motor. Your real life mpg difference will be around 10 per gallon and that adds up quick. I don't like cactus gray tbh. If you are going for somehting that stays nice looking with farm work I think Iconic Silver is the classiest look. Just my opinion.
Yea that's something I gotta realize that the size of this truck is pretty small, and I shouldn't be looking at towing anything serious to begin with; 4k is barley anything lol. And yea you're right, we have some diesels to choose from but they're always being used. It looks like its going to be a 10 mpg difference between the two, which is pretty sizeable. I've never been a fan of silver, but it always looks somewhat clean even if you don't wash it for months. Thanks for your opinion!

Row Jimmy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ranger XLT
Hi guys, I'm currently thinking of getting a new Maverick and I'd like to see others' opinions to help me finalize my choice. I'm a very indecisive person lol.
I'm currently a 21 y/o college student, I currently drive a base model 2021 Chevy Colorado (its my uncles) and I loathe it. It needs more power and returns lackluster mpg (~22). I saw the Maverick about a month ago and though that this would be the perfect truck for me, as its compact and has some pretty neat tech features.

I'm going to go for the Lariat trim, specifically for the Lane centering and Adaptive Cruise Control features. My dad just bought a 2021 F-150 Platinum and those features are absolutely amazing; you can pretty much drive the truck without barley even doing anything. I plan on coming home a lot from college so long drives are a must for me. However, having a truck that can drive all-terrain and tow/haul a decent amount are also important.

This is where I want to reach out to you guys and see your takes. I currently started out reserving the AWD FX4 with the 2.0L, but I switched to the Hybrid recently, because I wasn't too sure what the mpg on the 2.0L was. When that was released recently and saw that its at the high 20's and low 30's, I'm not sure if I should switch back. Here's why:
1. I'm not fond of CVT transmissions. Will the new eCVT be reliable? Is it fun/comfortable to drive? This truck will have to last me a while, and I'd hate to have issues in the future. I'd rather stick with the 8-speed if that's more well-known and reliable for lasting.

2. Mpg is a big deal for me, but the official numbers for the hybrid haven't been released, and the low 30's for the 2.0L don't seem bad at all. If the hybrid's is close to the high 40's, that would be amazing. Naturally, I drive pretty conservatively, so In your guy's opinion, what would be the mpg for both engines?

3. AWD/4x4 is a nice feature. Though I very rarely use it in my past trucks, its nice to know its there and to use it when the occasion arises. However, its a hefty price jump to go to the FX4 from the hybrid; is it worth it?

4. Is the towing/hauling capacity worth it on the hybrid? I'm also planning on buying a cheap motorcycle soon, and I often move in/out of apartments at my college. I'm also in a family of farmers, so hauling certain things are important as well. 1,500lbs doesn't seem bad at all but would it strain the engine too much?

5. What color looks best in your opinion? I have currently have black, but I know the pain with trying to keep a black vehicle look nice (need to wash it a lot). So I'm going to go with either white or cactus gray, what's your take?

I'm pretty indecisive, especially if I'm going to drop all this money on my first new vehicle lol. The total price isn't a huge issue, but the cost effectiveness is. Any takes and opinions would be great, also sorry for the length of the post lol. Appreciate it!
I had some questions about the eCVT as well until I saw this video which was posted on an earlier thread. It pretty much explains everything to the point that I was glad I chose the hybrid. It's a long video because the engineer doing it went through the 2 previous iterations of the transmission and motors, but ultimately it was quite helpful.

Sponsored

Sevesteen

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick Lariat Lux, 18 Honda Fit
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Don't know how close our use cases are, but here goes: I've got more confidence in the E-CVT than I do the 8 speed--plus it's covered by the 8 year 100,000 mile hybrid parts warranty (this is based largely on a video from the same guy as the one that Row Jimmy just posted above).
I doubt the hybrid will get high 40's. MPG is going to depend on what driving you do--for my driving I'd expect around 5mpg difference, since I'm mostly highway and that minimizes the hybrid advantage. Not huge, but it's there (I wish MPG were Gallons per 100 miles--there's a much bigger cost difference between 15 and 20 mpg than there is between 35 and 40, and "fuel used per distance" shows that better)
The only time I'd want AWD is snow, and front drive with modern traction control is good enough. If this were a rear drive truck I'd probably choose differently.
I don't need heavy stuff, but I occasionally need to move stuff too bulky to fit in a car. Capacity will be OK for my use, I'll rent if I need to move anything really big.
I like orange or red best, but not $400-500 more than Area 51. I wouldn't mind Alto Blue either, it barely lost out because it was closer than I wanted to the car we're keeping.

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, Ultra Classic, Versa Note and soon to be Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Not an issue. Ecvt is reliable. Both will last.

Mid 20s for either 2.0 low to mid 30s for Hybrid

3. AWD/4x4 is a nice feature. Though I very rarely use it in my past trucks, its nice to know its there and to use it when the occasion arises. However, its a hefty price jump to go to the FX4 from the hybrid; is it worth it? It is worth it if you need it or planning on selling. FX4 will hold its value better. I have a 4x4 truck already so mpgs were a premium so I stayed with a hybrid.

No. A motorcycle and a nice motorcycle trailer won't be 1k pounds. 2 Harleys and an aluminum trailer is just north of 1k. If big trailers are rare you are better of renting when needed.

Colors are dealers choice. Mine is white. My 350 is black. Come along way since Henry Ford said yoy can have any color you want as long as it's black.

vandarasmussen

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Vanda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

I'd like to start by apologizing for picking up the thread, but I think this would be useful in the future for those who so and so didn't find an answer in this thread, so:

Regarding the powertrain, the hybrid version of the Maverick will likely have better fuel efficiency than the 2.0L engine, but the exact numbers have not been released yet. However, the 2.0L engine is expected to get around 30 mpg on the highway, which is still pretty good for a truck. As for the reliability of the eCVT transmission, it's a relatively new technology, so there may be some unknowns in terms of long-term durability. But based on Ford's track record with their hybrid technology, it should be fairly reliable.

If AWD/4x4 is not a must-have feature for you, then you may not need to go for the FX4 package. The hybrid version of the Maverick comes with front-wheel drive as standard, which should be fine for most driving situations. The towing and hauling capacity of the hybrid is also decent at 1,500 lbs, which should be enough for a motorcycle or other smaller items.

As for the color, white is a classic and clean look, while cactus gray is a bit more unique and trendy. It ultimately comes down to personal preference, but keep in mind that cactus gray may be more prone to showing dirt and scratches than white.

Overall, it seems like the hybrid version of the Maverick could be a good fit for you based on your priorities for fuel efficiency and occasional towing/hauling needs. But ultimately, you should test drive both versions and see which one feels better to you.
By the way, if you are a young driver I would recommend you to read this post https://phdessay.com/free-essays-on/drunk-driving/ about druck driving, I did a writing based on it and besides I learned a lot of new and interesting things for me; I think you will also find it useful.

Last edited:

Waterick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Mav Lariat, '14 Prius, '83 'Stang, more...
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I'd like to start by apologizing for picking up the thread, but I think this would be useful in the future for those who so and so didn't find an answer in this thread, so...
Overall, it seems like the hybrid version of the Maverick could be a good fit for you based on your priorities for fuel efficiency and occasional towing/hauling needs. But ultimately, you should test drive both versions and see which one feels better to you.

Good luck finding both models to test drive. Even now.

OP
OP
cmoraspace

cmoraspace

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick AWD FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hey man, I ended up getting my hands on a 2.0L AWD FX4, white color. I was pretty hesitant about the hybrid (in terms of reliability and DIY maintenance), plus a large majority of my driving is on the freeway.

I've had mine for about a year now, and I'm pretty satisfied with my choice. This is the first truck I've really loved, and if you live in a bigger city like me, it's a perfect choice in my opinion. My only regret so far is the FX4 package, I didn't know that it would remove Eco and Sport modes before I ordered it, which is something I really wish I had. I've never really gone crazy off-roading so far, but I guess the option is always there for me. However, I couldn't be happier so far (y)
Sponsored