Lambretta

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Ford Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Something that has been annoying me on my XL steering wheel is that is rough on the backside. See picture of three dots likely from manufacturing process.

It has been like this from day one, and now I want to get it sorted out. I realize it’s a budget vehicle but want to make it more comfortable for me.

Can anyone confirm if yours is like this and/or a remedy?

When I unwind the steering wheel when turning or when cruising having my left hand at 12 o’clock, I can feel a catch/roughness around those dimples. Didn’t want to bust out the file or order a stitch on cover yet…

Thanks!

Ford Maverick XL Steering Wheel Coating Rough? IMG_2349
Sponsored

OleFordGuy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Lariat, Expedition Limited, 22 Mav Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
not sure, zero issues with mine, maybe lightly rub the back side with a 220 grit sanding sponge from your local hardware/paint store

MYMAVXL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I had to look really closely to find those three spots on my wheel. I can’t feel them at all while driving.

OP
OP

Lambretta

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Ford Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I had to look really closely to find those three spots on my wheel. I can’t feel them at all while driving.
Thanks for looking, guess I got a not so good one…

In the morning I will try smoothing them out.

Sponsored

Ozarkbeard

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 XL CP360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Same here on my XL. I can barely see them using a mirror, so I know they are there; but I cannot feel them at all.

259Maverick

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick XL AWD CP360, 4K tow
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I feel 2 of the 3 dots on mine. At first thought it was a scratch in the brand new wheel. One day I'll take a utility knife and smooth it out or just out a cheap steering wheel cover over everyrhing and call it a day. I actually wish the steering wheel was bigger and a bit thicker...maybe I'm just compensating...

FamousAmos

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
GAB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Something that has been annoying me on my XL steering wheel is that is rough on the backside. See picture of three dots likely from manufacturing process.

It has been like this from day one, and now I want to get it sorted out. I realize it’s a budget vehicle but want to make it more comfortable for me.

Can anyone confirm if yours is like this and/or a remedy?

When I unwind the steering wheel when turning or when cruising having my left hand at 12 o’clock, I can feel a catch/roughness around those dimples. Didn’t want to bust out the file or order a stitch on cover yet…

Thanks!

IMG_2349.jpeg
One of my first add-ons to my 2022 XL, I bought a leather steering wheel cover. IIRC, it was $30. I was a little concerned when I ordered it, as it did not require the stitching that my other (vinyl) covers required. Well, I have died and gone to heaven, as it has a wonderfully soft feel. Needless to say, it required some finger strength for the last stretch, but once in place, it is surely worth the $30. IMHO.

Wizard

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 cactus grey Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

One of my first add-ons to my 2022 XL, I bought a leather steering wheel cover. IIRC, it was $30. I was a little concerned when I ordered it, as it did not require the stitching that my other (vinyl) covers required. Well, I have died and gone to heaven, as it has a wonderfully soft feel. Needless to say, it required some finger strength for the last stretch, but once in place, it is surely worth the $30. IMHO.
I bought this cover off of Amazon right away and love it. It is out of stock now.

Ford Maverick XL Steering Wheel Coating Rough? Screenshot_20240226_103336_Amazon Shoppin

Redline

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor XLT shadow black
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I don't feel any rough edges on my XLT wheel, but I do find it to be a bit slippery. Which cover did you use, if you don't mind me asking?

FamousAmos

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
GAB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I don't feel any rough edges on my XLT wheel, but I do find it to be a bit slippery. Which cover did you use, if you don't mind me asking?
There are THREE on Amazon, so I had to do some digging. The KEY WORD will be the Brand Name: Sawuaa.
The nomenclature reads as follows: "Custom Fit for Ford Car Steering Wheel Cover, Nappa Leather, Non-slip, Designed for Ford Interior Accessories." Quite a mouthful, but the Sawuaa will put you in the right place. It still lists for $29.99. Good luck.
Sponsored